• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I would really like to start getting into reloading. What are everyone's suggestion on the type/brand of press that I should get? I am looking at this as mainly just a hobby right now with the chance that I might get really serious into it down the line. I want to be somewhat economical to get started, but not completely cheap out.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This is my standard advice for a new guy, looking to get into reloading:

If you're going to shoot mostly pistol and some rifle -- Lee Classic Turret.

If you're going to shoot mostly rifle and some pistol -- RCBS RockChucker.

(After you've used one of the above for a while...)

If you're competing and need LOTS of ammo, either a Hornady LNL or a Dillon 550.

If you want to stock your own armory and have mad loot, a Dillon 650 or 1050 is right for you. :)

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I would really like to start getting into reloading. What are everyone's suggestion on the type/brand of press that I should get? I am looking at this as mainly just a hobby right now with the chance that I might get really serious into it down the line. I want to be somewhat economical to get started, but not completely cheap out.

Hahahaha Well it is a addictive hobby:rockwoot: You will find hours of enjoyment loading . My advice is to get some quality equipment from the start. I am still running a single stage press that I got 40 years ago so it is not a short term investment. Most manufacture make good stuff if you can get a cast iron press it will serve you well for years to come. The Lee kit is on the lower end but would serve you well if you are loading pistol rounds. As mentioned Andrew at Profire can help you out too. Get what you can afford it will last a long time. Thats my :twocents:

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit

Redding Big Boss Single Stage Press Pro-Pak Kit

Lyman Crusher 2 Single Stage Press Pro Kit

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    So is the general consensus then to go with a single stage to get started rather then a progressive?

That's the general recommendation but not by me. I figure, if you know that you will want a progressive then get a progressive. Buy once, cry once and all that.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Since I mainly load my rifle rounds for precision, I use a single stage press, RCBS electronic scales, Hornady bench trimmer and a RCBS Trim Mate.

I have a Dillon progressive for all my pistol calibers.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    So is the general consensus then to go with a single stage to get started rather then a progressive?

You haven't mentioned what kinds of ammunition you will be reloading, but yes: The general consensus, among experienced reloaders, is to start with a single stage and go to a progressive if/when you find you need one.

The Lee Classic Turret press is a great compromise. It has an indexing rod that can be removed, allowing you to learn with the press operating in single-stage mode. Once you feel comfortable with the process and know what things to watch out for, you can put the indexing rod back in place and turn out 150-200 rounds of pistol ammunition, per hour. So, it lets you learn at a slow pace, then lets you speed up to somewhere in-between a single-stage and a true progressive.

It's also very well-built and will last for decades; a lifetime, with a little care. It doesn't hurt that the cost is downright reasonable. Head on over to Profire and Andrew will help put together a custom order that suits YOUR needs. By mid-summer, you'll be wondering why you didn't become a reloader years ago! ;)

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have been looking at Lee's, primarily because of the cost. But I don't want to base any decision just on price.

You do raise a good point, I never did mention what I intend to start reloading. I am primarily going to be reloading pistol rounds. 9mm, .38 special, and .357 mag. I am in the process of building an AR so I could see myself getting into reloading .223 at some point.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN

My take on this is yes. You can always use a single stage press. I have a Dillon 550 and love it but it cost at least $100 every time you go to a different caliber for the shell plates, powder funnel, tool head, ect. If you plan on loading thousands of rounds they are a great investment. However there is alot going on every time you pull the lever as you gain experience it is easier to catch something going wrong. With a single stage you can load alot of ammo in a fairly short time and it is easier to make sure each step is correct. Both have advantages I recommended the single stage because it seemed that the initial investment was a concern. Most of the benchrest shooters load one at a time for the precision. Whatever you get you will enjoy the sanctification of shooting your own ammo it will allow you to tailor your ammo to your specific needs and it will make you a better shooter.

Whatever you get just have fun with it and be safe. :twocents:

Top Bottom