• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Hey, all!

I attended the Glock Armorer's course today (my fourth time recertifying... damn I've been doing this a long time :fogey:), hosted by the Greenwood Police Department. Our instructor, Joel Hodges, was great - very knowledgeable and personable, and an effective teacher.

Was issued the latest revision of the Armorer's Manual and U.S. Addendum (which are already out of date, LOL), got a good refresher on the mechanics and theory of how the gun operates, learned a few tips and tricks for working on the gun and troubleshooting, and picked up a few bits of inside info along the way.

A few things you might like to know:

1) The Gen4 G27 has just received ATF approval and should be on store shelves shortly, to be followed by the Gen4 G26. It is unknown if Glock will offer the G20/21/29/30 in Gen4 trim.

2) The Glock weaponlights are going to be discontinued.

3) Glock Inc. in Georgia currently has the capacity to manufacture every part of the Glock pistol (except for the various springs) in-house. The Tenifer formulation had to be altered slightly to get EPA approval for use here in the USA.

4) The mythical Glock Carbine does exist, but Glock Inc. is keeping it very close to the vest. It has undergone several configuration changes, and is currently an AR-style weapon chambered in 5.56. :eek: The prototype currently has about 30,000 rounds through it, but is still a back-burner project. I can totally understand this; can you say "saturated market"?

5) Glock pistols are manufactured in lots of 1000 per model. So for instance, if you have a G23 with the serial number FSEXXX, that means all pistols within the range of FSE000 to FSE999 will be G23s; Glock does not switch models in the middle of a run. Current serial number range is in the high Ps; it's not known how the numbering convention will change once they hit ZZZ999. That would be an awesome gun to have in the collection, though...

On a personal note, I scored a 100% on my written exam (I would hope!), and won a nice bit of Glock swag for reassembling my pistol correctly in the shortest amount of time. :woot:

If anybody has any (serious) Glock questions of either an historical or technical nature, hit me up and I'll see if I can help out while the knowledge is still fresh in my head! Smart alecs and haterz need not apply. :bash:

:ingo:

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Wasn't there also a rumor of the OD guns being discontinued?

We didn't address this in my course, but I have heard it from others who have recertified recently. If you see one in a shop somewhere and you want one, best grab it up while you can.

I want to go next time! What is the cost? ;)

$150. Normally the course is only open to Law Enforcement or Stocking Dealer representatives, but recently they have started allowing GSSF members to attend, as well. The full schedule can be found on GLOCK Training

Even if you never plan on working on anyone else's Glock but yours, I recommend going through the course at least once. You'll be amazed at how much you learn that you can't get from a pirated copy of the manual, or a YouTube video. :yesway:

Last edited:

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    Awesome information Shooter.

My first thought is if the Georgia location can make everything, then 380s must not be too far away, but is there really a market for it? Glock would need a single stack, subcompact to stay competitive there.

Can't wait to see what happens with the AR, I'm not thinking likely, but I like to fantasize.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Awesome information Shooter.

My first thought is if the Georgia location can make everything, then 380s must not be too far away, but is there really a market for it? Glock would need a single stack, subcompact to stay competitive there.

Can't wait to see what happens with the AR, I'm not thinking likely, but I like to fantasize.

I dont see a market for the Glock 380. I definitely wouldnt want one.

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    I dont see a market for the Glock 380. I definitely wouldnt want one.

While I wouldn't hate seeing one, I could see how it wouldn't work, and I'm not sure I'd purchase one, it would have to be the size of a Diamond Back, and at that size, why not just be the Diamond Back. That market is already there, Glock missed the bus there.

THOUGH

Single stack glocks would be interesting.....

...Shooter, any plans for single stack!?!?!

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    While I wouldn't hate seeing one, I could see how it wouldn't work, and I'm not sure I'd purchase one, it would have to be the size of a Diamond Back, and at that size, why not just be the Diamond Back. That market is already there, Glock missed the bus there.

THOUGH

G36 single stack 45

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

THOUGH

I agree if they did make one in the small size like an LCP or the Diamond Back I would be interested. I thought you were speaking of the current 380 model not available in the US already made by Glock.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

The factory's response to the .380 question is that they will most likely get around to making them for the US market, but they're a back-burner item. To put it in perspective, this was largely the same answer that was given the last time I recertified, 4 years ago. :rolleyes: IMO, Glock would initially sell a bunch of them to 1) Glock collectors, 2) LEOs wanting a backup gun with the same feel and manual of arms as their duty gun but in a lighter caliber, and 3) smaller-statured, female and elderly shooters (the .380 Glocks have very little recoil). After that, sales would die down. If they do choose to offer the .380 Glocks here, my bet is that they'll be a limited-run item like the G17L and 24 are now.

Can't wait to see what happens with the AR

IMO, Glock is already several days late and several dollars short bringing their carbine to market. They should've either kept it a less conventional 5.56 design (it was a bullpup configuration earlier in its development), or made it a PCR accepting their pistol mags and kill sales of the Kel-Tec SUB2K. ;)

The design may change again prior to release (I mean, how many years has the thing "supposed to have been unveiled at SHOT Show" now?), they may decide to just pull a "me too" and throw their hat in the AR ring along with S&W, Remington, Ruger, SIG and all the rest, or the may take a page from Taurus' book and shelve the gun until the AR market makes a correction.

Top Bottom