• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Looking to move out of Indiana within the next year. Anyone know of jobs out in Wyoming, the Dakotas, Montana, etc? Willing to work hard provided I get paid (that last part seems to be a foreign concept around town). I want to own land someday and land out there is substantially cheaper than here. I hear a lot about the oil fields out there and how they can't get enough people hired. I'm going to a vocational school right now for diesel technology and I plan on marketing that heavily when I'm looking for a career.

Ideally I'd like to end up having as much land as I'd ever want with my nearest neighbors being miles and miles away. That won't happen overnight unfortunately. Also, which of those states overall is a better state to be in when it comes to firearms laws and just laws in general? Which of those states has the most stable economy? I'm doing my own research now but any help/experience is appreciated.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think Wyoming is a very 2nd friendly state. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Another thing you might consider as a side-line.
    Welders (not just "wire-burners" but people that actually know how to weld) are fast becoming a prized commodity.

It seems for several years in a row now, the welding field seems to be attracting less newcomers than are being lost to attrition.
    Learn how to weld, and do it well.
    It is relatively cheap to start a small shop, set your own hours, set your own wages. Mobile welders make even more.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I think Wyoming is a very 2nd friendly state. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Another thing you might consider as a side-line.
    Welders (not just "wire-burners" but people that actually know how to weld) are fast becoming a prized commodity.

It seems for several years in a row now, the welding field seems to be attracting less newcomers than are being lost to attrition.
    Learn how to weld, and do it well.
    It is relatively cheap to start a small shop, set your own hours, set your own wages. Mobile welders make even more.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I think in a place like Wyoming if I can work on diesels and do real welding I'd make good money. The problem is finding someone I can learn from while still in Indiana. I had been thinking about welding on and off as a side thing and with some looking I am confident doing welding on the side will do nothing but help me when I move. Thanks for the advice!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I lived in Aberdeen, SD for 6 years. Awesome town. Should be good opportunities for a Diesel Mechanic. If it was not for family we would probably still be out there. Sometimes I even think about moving back.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I know you were wondering about driving a truck. There is a huge demand for tanker drivers hauling oil and water out in the Dakotas. $3000+ a week. Because of the demand, they might hire young, inexperienced guys and train them. It is worth looking into.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you don't mind me asking what did you do out there?

I am an agronomist. Moved out there to work technical development for Monsanto. I left the big M after to two years to work for a small, family owned agricultural retailer. Aberdeen is called the hub city. It is the biggest city for a 100 mile radius. A person has to drive 3 hours to get to Fargo or Sioux Falls. Aberdeen has good schools, good hospital, lot of stores, nice parks and anything else a person might want or need. It is the place everybody goes. Lot of big farms in that area. Tractors and trucks have engines and need mechanics. Plus no state income tax, cheap license plates, low cost of living. Of course jobs don't pay as much either.

Oh and the pheasant hunting is great out there! Plus lets not forget the Walleye fishing. Brown County Sportsmans Club has a really nice range just 3 miles south of town.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have "heard", that in Montanna, there is Ranch work to be had... 60K + a year, supposedly .....

Pretty lonely out there. Going west of the Missouri River is like falling off the edge of the world. My recommendation for a young man would be to get on with a combine crew and travel.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Lived in the outskirts of Cody, WY. when I was younger. Worked/lived on a 260 acre horse farm. LOVED IT! Would go back if I had the chance (family ties here).

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I am originally from Montana and have lived in South Dakota and Wyoming as well. Montana's economy and job market are not so great. I did notice last time I was there their gun prices were considerably lower than here. Wyoming has plenty of work in the oil industry and tanker drivers. South Dakota has many job opportunities and seems to have the best economy, atleast when I lived back west.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    North Dakota oil jobs are still thriving I believe. Great pay, mostly union jobs. They don't have near enough people up there.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've been reading and hearing a lot about increasing demand for very well paying jobs in the oil fields out west. Just read another article about it the other day. Spoke to my buddy who's overseas last night and he said he knows a couple of guys that he's with now that used to do that and were telling him about how good the pay was.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been reading and hearing a lot about increasing demand for very well paying jobs in the oil fields out west. Just read another article about it the other day. Spoke to my buddy who's overseas last night and he said he knows a couple of guys that he's with now that used to do that and were telling him about how good the pay was.

Have you guy's ever watched a crew run a rig.....it ain't pretty and it sure is hard. If you are able to do physical work at that level have at it. If you do not mind looking like an oily grease ball most of the time have at it. Hours can be long, hard and cold. It is a job for a real man. Not saying Mosinguy is not up to the task as I have not met him. Just saying, it is one of the hardest jobs a person can do. The pay is commensurate to the work.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, mosin, there are more than a few jobs out there in the Bakken Boom, but you'd best take an RV with you. Room and board aren't cheap and barely available in most places. Prices are skyrocketing, too. All because of the oil boom. You might do alright out there, but you'll be busting your hump, if you find what you're looking for. Lots of articles on what's going on out there in the news. Just google Dakotas oil boom jobs or something similar.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Moved out there to work technical development for Monsanto.

So YOU'RE the guy! Evil, genetic mutating, small farmer stomping, GMO pedaling, genetic diversity crushing, mad scientist! Let's get him!:xmad: Oh, you quit? Nevermind. He's OK guys.:thumbsup:

Rambone, mrjarrell, please put the bats away.:bat:

Please go post this in the political forum. Please???? :laugh:

I double dog dare ya.:popcorn: But you gotta play like you were doing the Lord's Work, no matter what your personal experience was.:laugh:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that if I had to do it over again - I may have looked into "Going West, young man" as I graduated college. But this was pre-oil boom. Rather just the beginnings of it, anyhow.

Oil rig working is, as CM said, very hard work. Hard, dirty, nasty work. And can certainly be dangerous, too.

If your background is in diesel tech - I'd be doing my best to research all the mechanic places in the boom towns. See if you could possibly get on as an oil change tech to start with.

Or work on getting your feet wet HERE, first. Get a year or two under your belt - invest in good quality tools - and THEN look to relocate.

Or perhaps see if some outfit would take you on as an apprentice.

Keep the housing situation in mind, too, as mrjarrell stated.

More thoughts: See if you can locate a few area/state specific outdoor-type web forums, join up, and start seeking your answers that way. Just like on INGO!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think that if I had to do it over again - I may have looked into "Going West, young man" as I graduated college. But this was pre-oil boom. Rather just the beginnings of it, anyhow.

Oil rig working is, as CM said, very hard work. Hard, dirty, nasty work. And can certainly be dangerous, too.

If your background is in diesel tech - I'd be doing my best to research all the mechanic places in the boom towns. See if you could possibly get on as an oil change tech to start with.

Or work on getting your feet wet HERE, first. Get a year or two under your belt - invest in good quality tools - and THEN look to relocate.

Or perhaps see if some outfit would take you on as an apprentice.

Keep the housing situation in mind, too, as mrjarrell stated.

More thoughts: See if you can locate a few area/state specific outdoor-type web forums, join up, and start seeking your answers that way. Just like on INGO!

Bingo^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lot of talk about the oil boom in North Dakota. Yes prices for room and board are very high because of the lack of housing. Many people living in RVs, which would not be fun in western North Dakota in the winter. There is a reason this type of work is called "Rough Necking"

Top Bottom