• 10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Did you listen to any of the debates?

I did.

All she does is parrot democrat talking points about "change" and ignores facts (and substitutes her own reality) about the current economic conditions in Indiana.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.

I did.

All she does is parrot democrat talking points about "change" and ignores facts (and substitutes her own reality) about the current economic conditions in Indiana.

Agreed. All I have seen her do is attack Mitch Daniels and offer no solutions to what she thinks are "problems".

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008

I did.

I have yet to see a Dem do anything different..

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I watched two of the debates. Yikes. She ends every sentence with her talking point, "Mitch Daniels sucks and that's why I'm running for Governor."

Unfortunately she is running close to Mitch in the polls. She's benefiting from the Obama-i-tis that is sweeping the nation.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The fact that she only tears down Mitch and offers NOTHING is my problem with her. Mitch was a MORON for privatizing, but what is she going to do better? I certainly don't know.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The fact that she only tears down Mitch and offers NOTHING is my problem with her. Mitch was a MORON for privatizing, but what is she going to do better? I certainly don't know.

Moron, huh? All I know is I-69 is under construction right now down here in SW Indiana. Democratic windbags couldn't get a freakin' inch of it built the past 20 years.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    How about Jill Long Thompson herself?
    All the proof I need!
    I actually thought he was being nice to her?

I'm not voting for her. There are many things I too don't like about her; however, you can just say someone is an idiot without explaining.

She thinks Indiana is losing a lot more jobs then they are getting. Since he has become Governor, we have added a lot more jobs. The economy right now though may be taking away from that accomplishment.

We currently have a "surplus" of money. How far in the red were we before My Man Mitch took over? She wants to give whatever "extra" money we have back to the people. That's what gets us in to the red to begin with.

Oh oh oh and property taxes. Don't even get me started on that. I'm thrilled with the 1% cap. The taxes just kept going up and up. She didn't want to cap them. I was thinking that surprised me because she wants to give people money but then I was thinking her property taxes probably went up with it was capped instead of going down. I don't know that for sure.

I'm sorry to say though, I don't know anything about Libertarian Andy Horning. But I am a firm believer in Mitch so Andy could have very good ideas but I like what Mitch has done.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

With respect, I must disagree. Privatizing needs to be done more with the goal in mind of making a smaller government and allowing the market to work. The reverse is what too many gov't functionaries want, which is what leads to bigger and bigger gov't and less and less freedom and economic success.

And yes, JLT makes a great parrot, but we need a person who knows that leadership sometimes is doing as much as possible to do as little as possible; that is, create a set of goals to be achieved, hire someone to complete them, then get the hell out of their way.

Blessings,
    B

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    With respect, I must disagree. Privatizing needs to be done more with the goal in mind of making a smaller government and allowing the market to work. The reverse is what too many gov't functionaries want, which is what leads to bigger and bigger gov't and less and less freedom and economic success.

And yes, JLT makes a great parrot, but we need a person who knows that leadership sometimes is doing as much as possible to do as little as possible; that is, create a set of goals to be achieved, hire someone to complete them, then get the hell out of their way.

Blessings,
    B

A big :+1:

I can't really think of anything that the Government does better than the private sector.

I can't see why some people get so upset about the toll road. It sure is nice to have that $4 billion right now.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    +1

FWIW, Andy Horning has looked great on the occasions I have seen/heard/read about him. He is charismatic and has the ability to draw in people, even if they don't like his view of government. Again, we get back to the question about voting 3rd or shoring up one of the 2 parties that you view to suck the least. If JLT were a little further behind in the polls, I'd jump up and down to vote for Horning. However, we are once again in a place that makes me fear that if I vote Libertarian, I will be narrowing the divide between (R) and (D).

I will buy a beer for the "vote your conscience" guys, but, respectfully, that dog don't hunt. I feel like a tramp too if I vote (R) when my beliefs are much further right. However, I'd rather be called a tramp or sell-out if it prevents JLT from getting the highest position in the state. I think the state level is a great place to actually show support for the 3rd party, and again, I am going to, provided it doesn't allow a weasel to get in.

I have no misconceptions: Horning absolutely, positively, cannot win this election. Thats not the point. I want to vote for him as a show of solidarity. It helps guys like him realize there is Libertarian love in this state, and gives him a reason to continue in politics. But, JLT and Mitch are cutting rather equal pieces of the pie, and that only leaves a sliver for Andy.

The Obama tribe has made some serious headway in this state, regretfully. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the majority of people vote split ticket. There will be people voting (D) because they drank the Obama kool-aid, and in the process will vote for JLT without even knowing who the heck she is. Consider how many college students are just now voting for the first time and have no concept of the state issues? Straight ticket baby. They will vote for any idiot who is listed below Obama because he showed up at the Little 500 and shook some hands.

I better stop. The entire process is frustrating.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    A big :+1:

I can't really think of anything that the Government does better than the private sector.

I can't see why some people get so upset about the toll road. It sure is nice to have that $4 billion right now.

The toll road was turning a profit for the state every year. Leasing it gave us a lot of money now, but didn't do anything to balance the state's budget. Aside from that, the toll road shouldn't even be a toll road anymore. It was supposed to convert to a freeway as soon as the bond for construction was paid off, from what I understand.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    In Colorado, where I lived for 10 years, they took privatization to a new level.

New freeways were built and funded from the start by private companies. In turn, they could collect tolls until reaching a pre-determined amount. After that, the road was turned back over to the state.

Doing things this way made it possible for roads to be built that would've otherwise never seen the light of day. Great idea IMHO.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The toll road was turning a profit for the state every year. Leasing it gave us a lot of money now, but didn't do anything to balance the state's budget. Aside from that, the toll road shouldn't even be a toll road anymore. It was supposed to convert to a freeway as soon as the bond for construction was paid off, from what I understand.

Rubbish. Read this.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified

With all due respect, it's simple math. It's the time-value of money.

The lessee has spent over $88 million in 2008 so far on construction contracts for work on the Indiana Toll Road itself.

Over 97 percent of this work went to Indiana businesses, well exceeding the 90 percent target specified in the lease contract for the roughly $4 billion planned in ITR construction work over the 75-year term. That's $4 billion in addition to the $3.8 billion upfront payment that will remain in Indiana.

Indiana has also earned over $360 million in interest on the upfront payment in just two years (over $185,000 per day, at current rates) which will be used to fund additional state and local transportation projects for decades.

So, please describe to me how that could in anyway be described as a bad deal for Indiana?

Top Bottom