Jeffersonville successfully bans weapons in city for 1 day.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    "Clarksville's stays despite state law" Let me see if I got this straight, if I carry a firearm into a court house (violation of Indiana code 35 Section 47 etc.) I'm going to have multiple deputies taking me into custody. If a city's government (who by the way are people subject to the same laws that have basis in COMMON LAW, as in COMMON to everyone) is in violation of state law, why is there not a similar reaction? Bueller?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN

I contacted a Town Council member concerning this issue. Clarksville is a Town rather than a City so they don't have a Mayor they have a Town Council and a Council President. The next Town Council meeting isn't until the 3rd Monday of the month but hopefully he will be able to get something done to lift the attempted ban.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    If the law creates a cause of action for which you can be sued, the action can no longer be said to be legal. All that is in question is whether it is a civil or criminal violation. In this case it is civil.

But no action would have been taken against the individual. Unless the ordnance is actually enforced, nobody is harmed.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    "Clarksville's stays despite state law" Let me see if I got this straight, if I carry a firearm into a court house (violation of Indiana code 35 Section 47 etc.) I'm going to have multiple deputies taking me into custody. If a city's government (who by the way are people subject to the same laws that have basis in COMMON LAW, as in COMMON to everyone) is in violation of state law, why is there not a similar reaction? Bueller?

they are breaking no laws. Cause for civil action will only arise if the ban is enforced.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Heading out toward English, IN; provided the weather is alright. Need to give the Stevens I picked up a try. I also ended up trading the SA 93 AK for an Arsenal in 5.56, so need to test it too.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    IC 35-47-11.1-5 Civil actions concerning political subdivision violations

IC 35-47-11.1-5
    Civil actions concerning political subdivision violations
    Sec. 5. A person adversely affected by an ordinance, a measure, an enactment, a rule, or a policy adopted or enforced by a political subdivision that violates this chapter may file an action in a court with competent jurisdiction against the political subdivision for:
    (1) declarative and injunctive relief; and
    (2) actual and consequential damages attributable to the violation.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

IC 35-47-11.1-6
    Civil actions; adversely affected persons
    Sec. 6. A person is "adversely affected" for purposes of section 5 of this chapter if either of the following applies:
    (1) The person is an individual who meets all of the following requirements:
    (A) The individual lawfully resides within the United States.
    (B) The individual may legally possess a firearm under the laws of Indiana.
    (C) The individual is or was subject to the ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy of the political subdivision that is the subject of an action filed under section 5 of this chapter. An individual is or was subject to the ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy of the political subdivision if the individual is or was physically present within the boundaries of the political subdivision for any reason.
    (2) The person is a membership organization that:
    (A) includes two (2) or more individuals described in subdivision (1); and
    (B) is dedicated in whole or in part to protecting the rights of persons who possess, own, or use firearms for competitive, sporting, defensive, or other lawful purposes.

IC 35-47-11.1-7
    Civil actions; recovery of damages, costs, and fees
    Sec. 7. A prevailing plaintiff in an action under section 5 of this chapter is entitled to recover from the political subdivision the following:
    (1) The greater of the following:
    (A) Actual damages, including consequential damages.
    (B) Liquidated damages of three (3) times the plaintiff's attorney's fees.
    (2) Court costs (including fees).
    (3) Reasonable attorney's fees.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'm surprised these stupid towns don't ALL pass no gun ordinances and post them in their books and put up their signs all over their property, parks, etc.... They'd trick the uninformed and then hide behind the "we didn't enforce it" defense.

Someone should put a "No black people" sign in their store window and see how long that is allowed to stand, even though they "don't enforce it."

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    they are breaking no laws. Cause for civil action will only arise if the ban is enforced.

Incorrect according to the statute. Quoted from above for further emphasis:

IC 35-47-11.1-5
    Civil actions concerning political subdivision violations
    Sec. 5. A person adversely affected by an ordinance, a measure, an enactment, a rule, or a policy adopted or enforced by a political subdivision that violates this chapter may file an action in a court with competent jurisdiction against the political subdivision for:
    (1) declarative and injunctive relief; and
    (2) actual and consequential damages attributable to the violation.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Regarding all the chat about the myriad of laws that one is expected to know, recall that, "ignorance of the law is no excuse." I'm a driver, it is my responsibility to know applicable driving laws for whatever road I may be on at any given moment. I'm a gun owner, it's my responsibility to know applicable guns laws.

No doubt there are about a bazillion too many laws on the books, I'm all for reducing that number quite a bit.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Incorrect according to the statute. Quoted from above for further emphasis:

I guess the only way this would differ from the Hammond case would be that if the court somehow found that "adopted" was applicable because they made the law AFTER preemption went into effect.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Regarding all the chat about the myriad of laws that one is expected to know, recall that, "ignorance of the law is no excuse." I'm a driver, it is my responsibility to know applicable driving laws for whatever road I may be on at any given moment. I'm a gun owner, it's my responsibility to know applicable guns laws.

No doubt there are about a bazillion too many laws on the books, I'm all for reducing that number quite a bit.

Yeah, just think if there were other areas of law (actually applicable to today's life, not some ancient law about walking around with a boner) that were on the books but not applicable.

Also, what stops a town from throwing up a speed limit sign out on the highway because they don't like the state's higher limit, but then just "not enforcing it."

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    But no action would have been taken against the individual. Unless the ordnance is actually enforced, nobody is harmed.

If, but for the sign or ordinance, you would have carried, but didn't because you feared the government would hammer you, then you were harmed.

When the government threatens to deprive us of a constitutional right, when the law actually says they cannot, then they harm us whether we are cited or fined, or not.

The local government does not have the authority to promulgate such laws. That they continue to try to do so is perverse and dictatorial.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, just think if there were other areas of law (actually applicable to today's life, not some ancient law about walking around with a boner) that were on the books but not applicable.

Also, what stops a town from throwing up a speed limit sign out on the highway because they don't like the state's higher limit, but then just "not enforcing it."

Actually, the speed limit sign on a highway comparison was used by Guy Relford in the Hammond case.
    I thought it was very good.
    The court didn't. What a shame.

So, I guess according to Destro, every town/county/village can post signs up on the highway all with different limits. As long as they don't enforce it, everything's alright.

Top Bottom