• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Poured myself about 2 ounces of JEFFERSON OCEAN, Aged At Sea bourbon tonight.

The aroma is complex, with hints of vanilla, honey, maybe a bit of oak too? And the color is a nice rich dark amber.

The first sips on the tongue are smooth and rich. Its got a savory caramel flavor that transitions into a spicy finish. This is the first bourbon that I've had that has any hints of salt in the flavor. It goes down without any burn but does leave you with a mild bit of warmth. After the bourbon is down you get a bit of mouth tingle. This is really good stuff. Really really good stuff. As you bring up the glass you smell the very special aroma that is different than other bourbons I've tried, it gives you a prelude to the goodness that will come when the glass reaches your lips.

I wanted to say putting casks on a ship was nothing more than a marketing gimmick and that Jefferson’s Ocean tasted like regular bourbon, that there were no hints of salt or brine and that it’s trip around the world on an oceanic research vessel was all waste of time… but I can’t. It was not a waste of time, it was not a mistake and its not a marketing gimmick.

Some kind of magic happens during that journey around the would, with the waves sloshing that bourbon against those charred oak barrels.

31 sea ports, north and south across the equator 4 times with the temperature and humidity changing with each latitude. And the ever present motion of the waves.

No, this stuff is special. Its beyond really good, its excellent.

After dropping a single ice cube and letting it melt down I take another sip. I can't believe it but this may have actually gotten better. The flavors are not diluted, the mouth tingle is tamed, and the its still just damn good.

Overall this is some seriously tasty bourbon. Rich and deep in character starting at the nose and surging through the finish there are strongly defined bourbon notes blending with some uniquely briny characteristics. I have found a new favorite.

1_zpsae7c8f63.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    About $80

It is a highly allocated bourbon, there was only 1 store in my county (Lake County, Northwest corner) that was allowed to order it. They got 6 bottles. I tried to buy 2 but the owner would only sell me 1. I will NOT share.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Wow, I may go hunting, even though I'm not supposed to have things like that (liver problems and all). If it's that special, it may just be worth some risk.

Top Bottom