• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would like to think that luck isn't the only thing separating me from my mortal coil.

Like it or not, luck is one of the biggest factors.
    If someone goes on a killing spree, walks in off the street and opens up, killing you 1st, training won't matter.
    Multiple killers.
    Sniper in a tower.
    Etc.
    You can train to better your dice roll, but life is still a game of craps.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...If someone goes on a killing spree, walks in off the street and opens up, killing you 1st, training won't matter.
    Multiple killers.
    Sniper in a tower...

BS:)
    We train to see the indicators of these things before they start. We also train to be faster than the shooters brain can keep up and expect there to be more than one. I'll take my training over hoping to get lucky every day.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    BS:)
    We train to see the indicators of these things before they start. We also train to be faster than the shooters brain can keep up and expect there to be more than one. I'll take my training over hoping to get lucky every day.

Sarcasm?
    If a person 100 yds away, shooting from a recesed position, inside a building, shoots you 1st, how is training relevant?
    Yes, that is a handpicked scenario. There are dozens of others.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    Like it or not, luck is one of the biggest factors.
    If someone goes on a killing spree, walks in off the street and opens up, killing you 1st, training won't matter.
    Multiple killers.
    Sniper in a tower.
    Etc.
    You can train to better your dice roll, but life is still a game of craps.

I'm not saying luck doesn't play a role but you are talking about a completely different situation than the video. The video is discussing purposefully inserting yourself into a dangerous situation instead of not. In THAT sense I would like to think that other factors other than luck will take precedence, but yes luck is a factor.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I'm not saying luck doesn't play a role but you are talking about a completely different situation than the video. The video is discussing purposefully inserting yourself into a dangerous situation instead of not. In THAT sense I would like to think that other factors other than luck will take precedence, but yes luck is a factor.

My take on the video was more of this.

BG walks into a convience store and you are shopping inside. You may or may nor have family with you. Do you draw your gun and take a shot as the BG is robbing the store or do you escape out the back with everyone else? It didn't seem to me that he meant running toward the sounds of all gunshots. It seemed more like having the opportunity to do something to help but not doing so because your life wasn't in immediate danger and you had an escape route.

Such as the mass shooting office scenario someone mentioned. Do you take a defensive position and cover the entry points while others escape, or do you escape with the others and don't draw your gun unless you come under fire, not caring about the people you left behind?

Personally I'm not going to run towards the gunshots but I would definitely hold my ground if it was giving others the chance to escape.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Well, I hope its really obvious who the bad guy is when you go running to assist in someone else's gunfight.

If it's happening in front of me and the actors are known and/or obvious (i.e, the guy shooting children) I'll take care of it, but running towards gunfire generally falls under going stupid places to do stupid things with stupid people. Assuming you have an active shooter on your hands when there are many other (more likely) possibilities is folly. So, yeah, get it right in your head what you are willing to do, but I'll say, 3 times in my life have I had people actively engaged in shooting at other people in my immediate vicinity. None were circumstances where getting involved would have been smart or desireable and in all 3 I was simply a good witness and have zero regrets.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The assumption in the video is that you have adequate knowledge of the unfolding situation.

If you do not, you could also end up looking like an idiot/making things worse (live or dead, take your pick) and messing up the rest of your life and/or providing more ammunition for the antis.

The dangers of intervention ==> Commentary by Evan Marshall

Any involvement on my part beyond me and my own will be with extreme caution.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When congresswoman Giffords was shot, a CCer showed up, did not know the situation, and JUST DIDN'T SHOOT.
    That turned out to be right.
    Just cause you carry, doesn't mean you always shoot.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    This has turned into an interesting thread. Kind of forces people to put themselves in different situations and think about how they would react. Most people who carry have already done this, but nevertheless, it is a good reminder to stay sharp and prepare yourself to the best of your ability.

Last edited:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The assumption in the video is that you have adequate knowledge of the unfolding situation.

When is it ever that cut and dry?

the chances that whatever you are responding to is an active shooter are so infinitesimal that they are not worthy of serious consideration. All you will likely know is that you are responding to a shooting, none of the specifics will be evident.

If you are starting from the premise that we are dealing with an active shooter, then the solutions may be as simplistic and trite as the video suggests. In reality, that is unlikely.

This is reality: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41...arly-shot-wrong-man/

Top Bottom