• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am still wondering how you run into the gun fire and determine who is good and who is bad? Do you just shoot everyone with a gun?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am still wondering how you run into the gun fire and determine who is good and who is bad? Do you just shoot everyone with a gun?

It may be more obvious in some cases than others.

Like if you're in a restaurant and a guy comes in and starts shooting. That should be pretty clear.

Or you're at work downtown and there's a guy shooting people in your office.

Harder would be those cases like mall shootings where you might hear gunshots way before seeing anything. Running toward something like that may make it tougher to get the entire picture.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

It may be more obvious in some cases than others.

Like if you're in a restaurant and a guy comes in and starts shooting. That should be pretty clear.

Or you're at work downtown and there's a guy shooting people in your office.

Harder would be those cases like mall shootings where you might hear gunshots way before seeing anything. Running toward something like that may make it tougher to get the entire picture.

Speaking from no real experience in an "active/mass shooter" situation, I would tend to think the BG is going to be shooting at people who are unarmed and any potential good guy will be firing at someone who IS armed....:dunno:

Of course, your effectiveness is going to rely on your ability to identify that and act rather quickly, but that's not to say it's impossible.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You hear shooting on the floor below you in the building. You have the ability to draw and cover the elevator and stair doors from a partially concealed position in the hallway facing them. You draw and tell everyone to find a way out if they can, or get ready to fight/hide if not.

You hear shooting in the theater room next to you and people begin streaming out of your room creating a cluster nightmare of the exit, you can be there too or take up a dominating position covering/owning the door to your room ready to engage the shooter should he come your way.

You are at the mall and down the hall from you is someone shooting people in the eating plaza. You can run for the exit, take position and control what you have while others escape (buying time for others to escape).

You are at school and hear shots in the building across the quad. You can lock the doors to your building and prepare to engage an active shooter if he tries to enter the building, or take position outside in case he moves from one building to another.

These are all the middle ground where you are not exactly charging into the room of the active shooter to engage him, but at the same time, you are deciding to be the rearguard of the escape and preparing for the fight if it comes your way.

IN essence, you are picking to protect all those who are behind you - even if you are not picking all of the potential victims in the entire incident.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Speaking from no real experience in an "active/mass shooter" situation, I would tend to think the BG is going to be shooting at people who are unarmed and any potential good guy will be firing at someone who IS armed....:dunno:

Of course, your effectiveness is going to rely on your ability to identify that and act rather quickly, but that's not to say it's impossible.

Once you put yourself in it, you are in it. If you come in at the last shot on a downed BG with no visible weapon, your visual is that the good guy is actually the bad guy. Then the gunfight starts between two good guys.:xmad:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...These are all the middle ground where you are not exactly charging into the room of the active shooter to engage him, but at the same time, you are deciding to be the rearguard of the escape and preparing for the fight if it comes your way.

IN essence, you are picking to protect all those who are behind you - even if you are not picking all of the potential victims in the entire incident.

A much, much more responsible statement than "live hero/dead hero"

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'm guessin' things are slow at work for him right now? He must figure stirring the pot will generate attention which has probably generated business in the past?

OR he could be teaching a class at Thunder Ranch right now with Clint and Heidi Smith as students.

But I'm sure you're right.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Did he just say that a guy who runs away instead of dying like a hero is a sh*tbag?
    I'm guessin' things are slow at work for him right now? He must figure stirring the pot will generate attention which has probably generated business in the past?
    But haven't people here accused him of this very same thing? Of running away and leaving his buddies to die? :dunno:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    self preservation comes first, for me at least. although being a situation where people will die might sway me depending on who im with.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I don't agree with this "euphemism" that any person who carries a firearm has a responsibility to inject themselves into dangerous situations and risk getting themselves killed to be a "hero". Not all of us have careers in tactical training, and word on the street is this man knows a thing or two about being a "runaway" himself. I think somewhere in this video was a good idea that got lost in a very vague scenario that spun off in to a narrow-minded 4 minute ramble.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    He meant both. There is a saying in football (I played and coached), a good team creates its own breaks.

In James's argument, you train to create your own luck.

I'm very familiar with the "Luck favors the prepared" outlook, but this is a VERY dangerous situation here.

The outcome of when you're unlucky on the football field is COMPLETELY different than if you're unlucky on a "two-way range". When it comes to my life, I would like to think that it's not going to boil down to JUST luck.

I understand the more training you have the better off you're going to be, but I don't consider that luck, I consider that preparation. I guess I'm saying that if I am DELIBERATELY inserting myself into a life-or-death situation, I would like to think that luck isn't the only thing separating me from my mortal coil.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    One training class I was in, the main instructor said (paraphrasing) "you're morally obligated to take a guy out if you're in a position to do so". Only there was more cussing.

As has been alluded to many times before, and I have said myself:

MY first moral obligation lies with my God.
    Second: My wife.
    Third: My kids. (Especially while they're young)
    Fourth: dependent upon the situation.

Due to my moral obligation to my wife and kids (above all other earthly beings), I feel that it is my duty and obligation to do what I can to be there for them first and foremost.

Active shooter at the Greenwood Park Mall? Come on, honey. We're going this way - away from the activity.

If I (God forbid), ever find myself in such a situation were all variables come together that would enable me to "do something" for others, I pray for the courage and mentality to do it.

-J-

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i think that might be the cop in him speaking out when he is implying you should be doing something regardless if its someone you know. he also might be saying if it happens right in front of your face and not to goo running toward the gun shots.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    Dirtbag white trash guy walks to drug store counter next to me and demands drugs. No weapon. I back off. She's not stealing from me and is not presenting an immediate threat to anyone.

Same scenario, place weapon in BG hand, waving about erratically. I would step back, define target and backstop to the best of my abilities, and put a round in his breadpan.

Every scenario is different. To say you will always inject yourself in a situation is short sighted. To think about and train for as many scenarios as you can think of is the way to shorten your response time.

Life is gray. As has been stated. My priorities are God, Family, Self, others, in that order. I'm not on the front lines anymore and my duty to those around me have adjusted accordingly.

Top Bottom