• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I recently finally decided to read a James Rawles book. The only one the library had on the shelves was FOUNDERS. Now I don't care about the why's or get entangled into a debate that shuts the thread down, but I have a question on Mr. Rawles books in general.

The question is, are all of the authors books as heavily laden with religion like I've read so far in FOUNDERS?

A simple yes or no will suffice and/or suggestions for other good books/authors.

thanks

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Hmm, that sucks. Was looking forward to reading his books. Any fiction in the same genre out there that you want to point me in the direction of?

William Forschten's "One second After" and David Crawford's "Light's Out" are EMP TEOTWAKI type books and pretty good. The latter even pokes a bit at Rawles' fans in subtle way.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Founders sucks. His book Patriots is less preachy and less lame. It's a pretty decent read. Survivors is not good, but not as terrible as Founders

I like:

One Second After: One Second After: William R. Forstchen, William D. Sanders, Newt Gingrich: 9780765356864: Amazon.com: Books

Slow Apocalypse: Slow Apocalypse: John Varley: 9780425262139: Amazon.com: Books

The Remaining series: The Remaining: D.J. Molles: 9780316404150: Amazon.com: Books

Out of the Ashes and up to maybe book 5 before it just gets plain monotonous: Out of the Ashes (Ashes Series #1): William W. Johnstone: 9780786019533: Amazon.com: Books

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    William Forschten's "One second After" and David Crawford's "Light's Out" are EMP TEOTWAKI type books and pretty good. The latter even pokes a bit at Rawles' fans in subtle way.

Crawford's second book Collision Course is a turd. I haven't read Light's Out, but I have heard it's good.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Crawford's second book Collision Course is a turd. I haven't read Light's Out, but I have heard it's good.

I liked Lights Out. It's obvious reading it that he wasn't a professional writer, but it's not bad nonetheless. I read it back when it was a free pdf he had posted on message boards.

Haven't read Collision Course.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Thanks guys. Looking for a modern day version of tactics filled survival adventure kinda stuff. I'm trying to remember the series of books I use to read in the 80's. A typical sentence read like..."He flicked the safety off his Sig Saur P-226 and let loose a volley of 9mm parabellum. The first round found its target in the cranium of the...." It was always very detailed on every shot fired, hehe. Each book was pretty small and there were probably hundreds of them in the series. Anyway....I'll check your suggestions out.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Are you talking about Light's out? I want to read it. Collision Course was just so predictable kind of.

Yes (post edited above for clarity)

I haven't read Collision Course, but it seems like once you've read 3-4 of this particular genre, they're all predictable to some extent.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    One Second After is a great read! I agree with with Out of the Ashes. Only go with the first 1/2 dozen or so. They get a bit kookie after that. Lucifers Hammer is also great.

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Try taking a look at "Grid Down Reality Bites" by Bruce Buckshot Hemming and Sara Freeman. When I first started reading the book I found it a little weird but as I kept reading I enjoyed it more and more. I'll admit that Rawles has a lot more helpful tips and knowledge in his books but the "Grid Down" series is a fun read and it has it's fair share of knowledge and tips as well. And the third book in the series just came out as well.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm trying to remember the series of books I use to read in the 80's. A typical sentence read like..."He flicked the safety off his Sig Saur P-226 and let loose a volley of 9mm parabellum. The first round found its target in the cranium of the...." It was always very detailed on every shot fired, hehe. Each book was pretty small and there were probably hundreds of them in the series.

Sounds like Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan/Stony Man/Able Team stuff.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't forget the late Jerry Ahern's classic Survivalist series, featuring his Walter Mitty-esque alter ego, John Roarke with his twin Detonics Combat Masters in an Alessi Dual Shoulder Rig, a Milt Sparks Sixpack on his belt for magazines, and his AG Russell sting worn near his kidney.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Check out Glen Tate's 299 Days series. Book 8 is due out in the next week or so, but start with book 1, they go in order. IMHO, its a great read.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Don't forget the late Jerry Ahern's classic Survivalist series, featuring his Walter Mitty-esque alter ego, John Roarke with his twin Detonics Combat Masters in an Alessi Dual Shoulder Rig, a Milt Sparks Sixpack on his belt for magazines, and his AG Russell sting worn near his kidney.

And Mutants and biker gangs, and religious doomsday cults, and the Russians and the Nuclear Sub Crews and and and.. I really liked those books.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    While I personally didn't have an issue with Mr. Rawles beliefs and content, I understand that some may. I agree that I thought Patriots was the better read. There are a few timeline issues with it, but overall its a solid read with good "real world" information. I also would recommend One Second After, it was one of the better fiction books I've read in the last few years. I think it would be a great way to get those who don't view themselves as "preppers" into preparation.

Late last fall I started reading the 299 Days series and am caught up with the series thus far. I'd recommend those books as well.

Top Bottom