• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I recently inherited this gun from my grandfather. It was the first gun I ever shot when I was a kid. Just this past weekend I had the opportunity to teach my son how to shoot on this gun. Between everybody in the family, my mom, dad, brother, sister, brother-in-law, son, nephew, and niece we put about 1200 rounds through it this weekend. It was a champ. We had zero issues. We were just plinking so I am not sure how tight of a pattern it has, but I was really impressed at the reliability and accuracy at the cans and palstic bottles we were shooting at.

I am pretty sure my grandpa rarely, if ever cleaned it. Since I got it, I have cleaned it several times and am considering taking it completely apart and refinishing the stock as well. Where can I get the supplies to do this? Is it as simple as sanding it down and staining it? Please pardon my ignorance. I would also like to pick up a couple spare 5 round mags for it and also a couple higher capacity mags as well. Any ideas as to where to find those?

And here are a couple pics

9e7c8f7d.jpg

db7fa070.jpg

1e364558.jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Easiest way to upgrade the stock is by sanding (as lightly as possible) making sure you don't break the edges by over rounding them. For finish I would suggest Pilkington Classic Spirit Stain avaiable from Brownells, for the Stevens I would suggest the English Red as it would come closest to the original color. PILKINGTON : CLASSIC SPIRIT STAINS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

After staining finish with Lin-Speed oil hand rubbing 4 or so coats folowing their instructions. LIN-SPEED : GUNSTOCK OIL - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

This is the pre-64 stain and just 2 coats of Lin-Speed...this is a current giveaway project...

winstocka.jpg

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Thats what I was looking for on the finishing. Thanks 451. Is that something the local gun shops or sporting goods stores would carry? I am one of those that likes physically picking things up in person.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    ARRRGGGHHH. Please don't touch it in any way. it is perfect just the way it is.

PLEASE don't sand it. Don't reblue it. DON"T do anything to it.

Hold it, treasure it, shoot it. Don't refinish it. Don't diminish its value. Shoot it just as your grandfather did.

:twocents:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Then give me cleaning options. Those little dots are actually bumps coming up out of the wood. I would like to actually clean it up at the least. Any suggestions?

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I know it's a little behind but gander mountain has new 5 or 10 shot mags in stock I just bought one last week for 19.99.

Top Bottom