• ...and so much more!
  • alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    I just received my LTCH and I'm looking for your opinions on what to carry.
    I have a S&W640 that has been my house gun. I was thinking I could get a mini-tuk or something similar to carry it in. With all the new mini 9mm's available I have been going back and forth with the thought of getting one and leaveing the 640 at home.
    With all the knowledge and opinions on this site I was hopeing I could get some direction.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I've found that my J frame conceals better under light clothing than my compact 9's. I think it has to do with it being less boxy of a gun. If it is jacket/sweatshirt weather I just carry my full size 1911. Rarely do my 9's go anywhere other than the range anymore.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    I carried my J frame for a couple years. I do think the pocket 9mm are easier to conceal. They are quite a bit flatter and I've found the LCP and my PF-9 are easier to pocket carry.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    I think the first thing I will do is try a small 9mm and compare it to my 640. My son has a Kahr CW9 with a IWB holster I could try out. I don't have a IWB for the 640 but I do have a OWB I can wear under a sweatshirt.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have a SW642 & a M&P9c

The revolver is with me just about every time I leave my house. The 9c...not so much.

-J-

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have a SW642 & a M&P9c

The revolver is with me just about every time I leave my house. The 9c...not so much.

-J-
    I'm with Indy guy, same set up except my MP9 is full sized. The auto is fine in the winter with heavy clothing, but as the lighter clothing comes out I'm grabbing the revolver.

Your avatar doesn't say where your located. You might want to try a nearby range/gun shop that rents guns and try it out before you buy. Theres one in Lafayette, Midwest in Elkhart, Target World in Cincy, I think there is one in Fort Wayne, but the name escapes me and I'm sure other board members can recommend others. Some of the smaller 9mm guns can be kind of snappy, so you might want to try before you buy.

J K Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    I've found being 6' 4" and about 280 affords me a better selection of what I can conceal. What would stand out on a smaller person isn't as noticeable on me. I can carry a Glock 23 or a Smith and Wesson 627 "N" frame without any problems.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    All I can say is "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY"!!

Everyone has a slightly different body shape and they wear different styles of clothing (loose fit, cargo's, tight, etc)

As for me, I'm 5'10 and currently running about 228 (which means I need to lose about 30+ lbs, but that's another story). I tend to wear 5.11 or similar cargo pants everyday and wear various shirts depending on either my carry style or out of necessity (i.e. business-work, church, outdoors-work, etc).

As such, and as most people do, I have a carry rotation that will fit with all of the above noted clothing options. Up until recently my rotation included an M&P9c (carried OWB in a Safariland thumb-break holster) and a Sig P238 in either a wallet or front pocket holster. Every once in a while I would also borrow my wife's S&W 642 either in her OWB Blackhawk Speed Classic or in my pocket holster.

I have however found my new #2 firearm (a recent purchase) which is a Ruger LCR .357. Although slightly heavier than my wife's 642 it will accept (and as tested) shoot 357 mag nicely.

As such, my recommendation would be the LCR 357 Mag. It's light enough for pocket carry and packs a punch!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The gun that fits most of my needs most of the time is small 9mm, a Walther PPS. I use a J frame (or Ruger SP101) as a pocket gun in cold weather when I'm bundled up, and my main carry gun is buried under layers of clothing.

The Walther is slim and easier to conceal for me than a J frame, and is loaded with 8 rounds of 9mm +P. Also, I need holstering options-no guns at work so I use a DeSantis pocket holster IWB for easy removal and replacement. Like the Remora, but probably not as sticky, but sticky enough (I have to look into those).

When I know I'm not going to work, I carry the Walther in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I can carry extra mags in just about any carrier made for a 1911 magazine.

I like my 1911's, and my Glock with it's much higher capacity, but I think that after about 2 years of carrying, and trying many options, I'm finally settling down to the Walther as my overall most carried handgun of choice, as it's convenient and comfortable for me to carry no matter what I'm wearing (oh, and I shoot is as well as I shoot any of my other handguns, probably better)

There are a lot of choices out there-have fun looking. My vote is for a subcompact 9.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think the first thing I will do is try a small 9mm and compare it to my 640. My son has a Kahr CW9 with a IWB holster I could try out. I don't have a IWB for the 640 but I do have a OWB I can wear under a sweatshirt.

I have a cw40, its too big for pocket, iwb is how I carry mine. It would probably be slightly bigger than a j frame. If you want a small 9mm go with a pf9, an lc9, or the new kahr cm9. Would be easier to carry either way.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I've been thinking about this for a while as well. My full size pistol is way too difficult to carry for a lot of situations.

These are some of the things I've thought about the j-frame:
    -the j-frame has a second strike capability which some semis dont have and ammo failures are resolved by simply pulling the trigger again versus the tap-rack-bang of the auto
    -people argue the j-frame is less mechanically complicated and therefore less prone to failure
    -although similar in size to the 9mm micro/subcompact, the j-frames tend to be lighter and have a more rounded appearance which is probably easier to conceal in certain cases compared to the angular semi auto

On the other hand:
    -the 9mm auto has more rounds in a magazine than the jframe (double or more in the double stacks)
    -the 9mm is easier to learn how to shoot accurately
    -the 9mm is easier to learn how to reload quickly
    -various balistics gellatin tests have shown the .38sp penetrate less (when fired from a 2in or less barrel like a snubbie) than the 9mm. In fact, one I read noted that the .357 performed poorly as well when fired from a snub and that the difference in performance is negligable especially when you consider to the lower recoil of the .38.

Granted, I got all this information on the internet and we know how reliable it is for good information. I'm sure someone has ancedotal evidence or even a reliable source to prove some of these items incorrect, but regardless of that fact, I tend to lean towards the 9mm simlply because I believe I would be able to more put more rounds downrange quickly and accuratly than with a snub .38sp.

That doesn't mean I would turn down one of those beautiful S&W model 37s with the wood grips if someone offered a free one to me . . . any takers? :):

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    My 640 is a lot heavier than my sons 442 but the 640's weight is a blessing when using +p and .357 loads. Most of the small nines are a lot lighter than the 640 but weight doesn't come into play as much with a holster vs pocket carry.
    Whatever way I go 640 or 9mm, I will need a IWB holster. I'll take some time and look at IWB holsters this weekend.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Carry position plays a role. A flat gun works better in a pocket than a revolver. My 642's curve fits extremely comfortably on my ankle. Belt holsters could go either way. Personally my G23 gets worn occasionally when I get to determine how I dress. My wheelgun comes with me all the time because it conceals when I'm in my work uniform, wear a suit and plan to take my coat off, or when it's too hot to wear a cover shirt and I'm in "sensitive" company.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    The 640 weighs in at 23oz which could be a bit heavy even on the ankle. Let me reiterate, I would take a serious look at this:

357LCR.jpg

You could probably pick it up for around $400 - $450

Oh and they do make some excellent short barreled .357 ammo these days that have amazing results:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=107

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom