• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I am looking to join a gun club around Newburgh Indiana. From my research which is very little, I have found Izaac Walton, and Red Brush. There are others in the Evansville area, but IW and RB are right by my house, literally less than a fifteen minute drive.

Can I get some input on the two ranges? I know with RB I need a member sponsor, which will probably be hard to come by, so that is a turn off for me already, but I can be persuaded.

Sorry if I am being vague, I am just looking for some input about these two clubs.

1) Which is better for the price
    2) Which do you prefer
    3) Can I store firearms on site (Residing in a antigun household is a PITA)
    4) Any weird things I need to know before going to look at either of them

I am assuming I can go out and check both places out, I wont have a weapon with me, just going to take a look at both places, or would that be a no-no?

Sorry for all the questions, I am very new here!

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I read everything on Redbrush.org, and what I could find on IW, but was hoping to get some input from members on here.

Sorry, I know that sounded snooty, but I couldn't think of another way to word it, no harm intended.

What is a "Appleseed" shoot?

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I'm a member at Red Brush and I love it. You cannot beat the price for an entire year of private range access. I joined in November and have probably been at least 12 times, mostly at night. Only once have I encountered another member on my night shoots. It's like my very own private range. Pretty awesome if you ask me. I'd be willing to meet you out there for a night shoot sometime, if you'd like to check the place out. Just let me know if you'd be interested in something like that. :welcome: to :ingo:

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Redbrush is great. The prices have gone up over the years, but it is still a bargain. I have never been back to IW.

At $70 a year, I would call that more than a bargain! Strictly Shooting charges $21 for 2 people to share a lane for an hour, which is hardly enough time for 2 people to even think about getting some shooting done.:twocents:

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I heard Izaak Walton was a free range. Is it still free??

No. It is a private range and memberships are $90/year for the first year and $80/year after that. IW mostly caters to trap and skeet shooters, so if that's your thing, IW is for you. If you just want to shoot guns, Red Brush is the better choice.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Hate to resurrect a thread from the dead, but I did put my money down at IW. They have private stocked stripper pits for fishing, camping, trails, skeet, trap, sporting clays, pistol, rifle and archery targets. Just felt like I was getting more for my money. Besides with IW I am a member at a "conservation club" not a "gun range" makes the girlfriend a little happier.

Plus, she has been begging for me to take her camping, and now we have a pretty nice place to go.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I'm in the same boat... Does Izaac Walton have a web sight? I'd like more info on the place. I live in Newburgh so either place is just a short drive.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had a friend sponsor me into Red Brush a couple years ago and I love it. I live west of Evansville so I'm talking a 45 minute drive but only once in the past year have I had to share a range with anyone. There are 4-5 pistol ranges and a really nice rifle range.

Last edited:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Hate to resurrect a thread from the dead, but I did put my money down at IW. They have private stocked stripper pits for fishing, camping, trails, skeet, trap, sporting clays, pistol, rifle and archery targets. Just felt like I was getting more for my money. Besides with IW I am a member at a "conservation club" not a "gun range" makes the girlfriend a little happier.

Plus, she has been begging for me to take her camping, and now we have a pretty nice place to go.

Colinb..

How do you like the Izaak Walton club, now that you have been a member there for a couple of weeks?

I'm looking for a nice place to shoot pistols & long guns, i'm not really into shooting skeet but hey, I might give it a try.

Anyway please update us on the IWL when you can.

Thanks
    Dave

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Local Ranges

I have shot at all three local ranges and my thoughts are the Izaak Walton has a wonderful shotgun range, the rifle and pistol are below pathetic. I belonged to red Brush for many years and thought it was a pretty good range. The problem lately is they now have over 900 members and during weekends getting a shooting station can be a problem. I have been a member off and on of the Daniel Boone Gun Club between Evansville and Chandler for 45 years and really like it. It is much smaller than Red Brush, but well laid out. Prices for both are around $60 per year. The problem is over population right now. Daniel Boone shut off new members last year and has not re-opened it yet. I heard that Red Brush is considerating the same thing. I would apply at both Red Brush and Boone and see who takes me first. Just my :twocents:.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Thanks for the info. The only problem with Redbrush is that you must have a sponsor other wise I would join in a heartbeat. But if you don't know anyone than your SOL..

Although I know many people who shoot none are members of Redbrush. Whats the longest you can shoot at Daniel Boons GC?

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Sorry about the wait, I just noticed this at the top of the new threads. Any who..

I am a member now at Izaak Walton, and I gotta say I really like it.

For my purposes (Rifle and Shotgun) they work very well. The trap and skeet is a blast, even though I just started, and the rifle range is more than enough for my .22. Hell I actually shoot the .22 at the 50 yard pistol range. The place is really nice. Super nice members, the landlords are both very nice people. I can't wait to get back out there.

The fishing is pretty good, not as good as some, but it isn't terrible either. Haven'e camped out there yet. This turkey season me and a buddy are gonna go on their property. Just from driving around I have seen about four toms. So it seems like the grounds are teeming with turkey. Emily has ventured off a little bit out into the woods, and she liked it (but she loves to explore). They have a very nice clubhouse, drinks and food, well stocked.

The parking lot is always packed on Sundays for trap and skeet. Other than the weekends you can only shoot trap or skeet on Tuesdays and Thursdays, unless you bring your own clays and just throw them in the air. From what I can tell all the stations are wireless and you just yell pull, and they shoot. I can't comment on the sporting clays, or the skeet. The trap however is wireless.

I think I have touched on everything that I can. I will report back when I find out more stuff, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me, and we can talk. Hell, I could meet someone out there one day and show them around if they want to get a feel for the place. Just shoot me a PM.

EDIT: Red Brush requires a sponsor, and is strictly shooting. IWL requires a sponsor (but the guy that gave me a tour sponsored me) and they are shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking. You get more outdoor activities at IWL, for less than you would spend at Red Brush, at least that's what I found when I did my research.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Thanks for the info. The only problem with Redbrush is that you must have a sponsor other wise I would join in a heartbeat. But if you don't know anyone than your SOL..

Although I know many people who shoot none are members of Redbrush. Whats the longest you can shoot at Daniel Boons GC?

That is not true. When I signed up for Redbrush last year I didn't use a sponsor, even though I know plenty of members in good standing that could and would have helped me out.

Before Redbrush I was a member of Izaack Walton, I had alot of fun over the years at IW but I was more interested in better pistol and rifle ranges.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Sorry about the wait, I just noticed this at the top of the new threads. Any who..

I am a member now at Izaak Walton, and I gotta say I really like it.

For my purposes (Rifle and Shotgun) they work very well. The trap and skeet is a blast, even though I just started, and the rifle range is more than enough for my .22. Hell I actually shoot the .22 at the 50 yard pistol range. The place is really nice. Super nice members, the landlords are both very nice people. I can't wait to get back out there.

The fishing is pretty good, not as good as some, but it isn't terrible either. Haven'e camped out there yet. This turkey season me and a buddy are gonna go on their property. Just from driving around I have seen about four toms. So it seems like the grounds are teeming with turkey. Emily has ventured off a little bit out into the woods, and she liked it (but she loves to explore). They have a very nice clubhouse, drinks and food, well stocked.

The parking lot is always packed on Sundays for trap and skeet. Other than the weekends you can only shoot trap or skeet on Tuesdays and Thursdays, unless you bring your own clays and just throw them in the air. From what I can tell all the stations are wireless and you just yell pull, and they shoot. I can't comment on the sporting clays, or the skeet. The trap however is wireless.

I think I have touched on everything that I can. I will report back when I find out more stuff, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me, and we can talk. Hell, I could meet someone out there one day and show them around if they want to get a feel for the place. Just shoot me a PM.

EDIT: Red Brush requires a sponsor, and is strictly shooting. IWL requires a sponsor (but the guy that gave me a tour sponsored me) and they are shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking. You get more outdoor activities at IWL, for less than you would spend at Red Brush, at least that's what I found when I did my research.

Thanks for the report Colinb.. I just may take you up on your offer to show me around the place. I used to fish most every day (when I was in port) back in my Navy days in South Carolina and miss it. The only thing thats holding me back form IW is the 100 yard limit on the rifle range. If it was say 300 yards I'd be in like flint.

I only tried to shoot Skeet one time before with a Yamaha sponsored outing, and I sucked at it :hehe:. But I would like to try again.

Anywayz.... I'll shoot ya a PM and see when your free, I's like to take a look-see around..

Thanks
    Dave

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I would be interested in joining Izaac Walton I believe. I'm going to be needing a place to shoot this summer. I'm about the only one out of all of us sticking with finishing college. The others have joined the military. I'd be interested in taking a tour sometime.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I would be interested in joining Izaac Walton I believe. I'm going to be needing a place to shoot this summer. I'm about the only one out of all of us sticking with finishing college. The others have joined the military. I'd be interested in taking a tour sometime.

I went there yesterday to have a look. There was only one lady (very nice) there by her self in the club house so she just unlocked the gate and let me drive around on my own. The gun range was alright, not the greatest but OK. She told me they are going to add a 2nd 50 yd pistol range soon. I'll probably join as I'm only about 15 min from the place and it sure beats driving all the way to my mom's to shoot, just north of Tell City.

I see your from Princeton. There is a real nice free gun range just east of you. It's just north of the small town of Arthur. They have 4 ranges, a 25yd, 50yd, 100yd & a 200,yd.

Top Bottom