• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I don't believe there is one, but you should still call and confirm.
    School policy doesn't matter, but yes, Ivy Tech and almost every College, Community College, and University in Indiana, is a GFZ

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I go to Ivytech down in Evansville, it's against the school's policy to carry. On my campus, I do not have a day care center, though there is one provided just off campus, in a separate building.

I may or may not carry, but for the love of christ, keep it concealed. Like hardcore, concealed.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I don't believe there is one, but you should still call and confirm.
    School policy doesn't matter, but yes, Ivy Tech and almost every College, Community College, and University in Indiana, is a GFZ
    False. Facilities of higher education are not GFZ's by law, but rather by policy by the facility.

In this instance carry could get you expelled. So concealed means concealed.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Trust me from experience: don't even leave your holster on unless you're wanting a long arduous ordeal that may jeopardize your education with them. Don't even mention you own a gun. As a matter of fact, don't even talk about guns unless you're in a criminal justice class. Just don't. And if you were to somehow forget you're packing deep in your book bag with a good holster attached to an inside pocket, and you somehow forget to leave the bag in your car, you should remember to have control of your bag and ready access at all times. That is assuming you care enough about your safety that you FORGET to not carry in the GFZ that has more safety issues than a county jail.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    My daughter went to Ivy Tech Gary and based upon her observations in the ladies room about 80 percent of the women are carrying, and in conversations with them, about 95 percent of those with out the LTC.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I am am familiar with the Ivy Tech Automotive campus on east Washington Street. In answer to your questions: there is no daycare at that facility and as others have stated it is strictly against school policy to bring any firearms on to school property. There is an unarmed security officer in the building during school hours which are from 7 am until 10 pm at night.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I went to Ivy Tech in Lafayette, many of my classes were at night, and I carried. I bought an LCP and an ankle holster making sure it never was obvious...we had several students out of jail, and one that was in my class for about half a semester before he was carted off wanted for a home invasion. Come to find out on the news him and his buddies broke into several homes. One instance he tied up an elderly couple at gunpoint and robbed them. Funny thing was that he was asking me a bunch of questions about my personal life in class before he he was jailed and the whole instance came to light...I don't regret carrying one bit. Automotive tech seems to attract some real interesting folks...

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    When I attended Ivy Tech, I may or may not have had a 9mm in a pocket inside my bookbag, and a Keltec P-32 in my pocket.

I am not a victim.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Anyone know if there is a daycare at the Ivy Tech automotive training center? I have to take a night class there once a month, and need to know if I can carry. Thank you in advance.

False. Facilities of higher education are not GFZ's by law, but rather by policy by the facility.

In this instance carry could get you expelled. So concealed means concealed.

But if a daycare is present, one needs to be beyond the following:
    IC 35-31.5-2-285
    "School property"
    Sec. 285. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    { http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title12/ar17.2/ch1.html } { http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title31/ar27/ch1.html }
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

Indiana Code 35-31.5-2
    Per:
    IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

Indiana Code 35-47-9
    So if the class happens to be in an area "adjacent to and owned or rented in common with" the daycare, there is an issue. I am not a lawyer so the wording in part A would make it unclear if that puts a whole building with a daycare in it off limits (so an office building has a day care on 1/4 of the 3rd floor is the whole building a GFVZ or is part 2 there to describe that situation and just a portion of the building rented by the daycare is off limits). This does put a GFVZ (Gun free victim zone) on a portion of most campuses in the state. Furthermore as stated to the best of my knowledge all higher education perfer their students be victi-, unarmed and have policies to remove students who choose to prote-, carry a means with which to defend themselves.

To the OP's question, they offer automotive tech at multiple locations, the Fort Wayne campus is referring to this off campus entity on their website: Child Care for students and employees - Ivy Tech Community College

Top Bottom