• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • serviceboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    franklin, in.
    just got this gun at an auction for 20 bucks. it has some surface rust, but its 116 years old! any recommendations as far as clean up or shooting it. im a little nervous to shot it just because of its age. i have zero experience in old guns like this...

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I googled it and it looks pretty cool. Sounds like a good deal for a collectors piece if nothing else.

Heck, I get nervous shooting my brand new stuff for the first time. When I shot my SKS for the first time, I covered my face as best I could because I didn't know what to expect. :rolleyes:

The guys here can tell you can to check it out and clean it up nicely...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If it was made in 1894 it is most likely a black powder pistol so be careful what you shoot in it. I am assuming this is a top break pistol? If the owl on the handgrip is looking toward the front then it is black powder. If the owl is looking straight at you (head level) then it is the third model that was made for the new smokeless powder. If it has a single instead of a double post latch, then it is the first model. I have a second model 32 top break that was my great grandmothers and it is a black powder pistol.

Have it checked by a gunsmith before you shoot it.

iv1.jpg

Since mine is an heirloom and does not lock up very well, I will not shoot it.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like you've got two nice new additions to your family, from opposite sides of the spectrum. A nice new .40 cal semi auto, and an old school revolver. Would love to see a pic or two if you have them.

I have what I think is a very similar Top Break Harrington and Richardson .22 revolver. (I think they built liscensed versions of the Iver Johnson Patent or vice versa.)

(obviously its the revolver in the picture ;) )
    DSC01494.jpg

It was originally nickle plated, but over the years its storage in my Grandfather -in law's tool box resulted in a less than beautiful finish. I was able to clean it up a bit, but it still isn't perfect.

The guns should be ok to shoot after you take it to a gunsmith to check out, but they have been known to have very brittle hammer springs. I would recommend manually cycling it a few times to see if it seems to function correctly, rotate the cylinder, etc.

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I've got an old IJ 38 S&W. Everything seems to functionjust fine and cylinder locks up nice too. I havent shot it yet. I had a buddy reload a box for me to shoot and just havent taken it out yet.

Top Bottom