• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I've been looking at handguns recently, particularly something new for a Christmas gift. Something keeps drawing me to look at 1911s, but I have to ask. What's the big deal about 1911s? Are they a fine piece of craftsmanship? Yes. Are they eye catching? Yes. Are the one of the better looking handguns out there? Yes. I've also heard the trigger is smooth as butter and breaks evenly everytime.

However, from what I've read, they need the most care. They are the most finicky. A few of them need to be worked on before they can even feed hollow points reliably. Some compacts have issues for whatever reason. A lot say that the 1911 should be run on a full size platform and no smaller, yet some manufacturers have figured it out while others still struggle.

That begs the question. Why are they so popular? I've yet to shoot a 1911, so I don't know for myself what the big deal is. So what's your guys opinions? What's the deal with them?

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    They are America's handgun. They are a piece of American history. Always will be. On top of that they are great shooters. Try one, you'll understand.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Can I be honest here?

You're just being drawn to a 1911 because you want to be one of the cool kids. Everybody wants to be a cool kid.

Or,

You're bored and you're just trying to get everybody stirred up.

Look, when 2011 rolled around everybody got all stirred up about the 1911. Gun magazines went nuts for them anticipating the increased readership and most gun manufactures were prepped and ready to release their version of the classic pistol, looking for the increased interest as the gun turned 100. And they both were right (as evidenced by me not being able to find a reasonably priced SR1911) ... Anyway

I'd love to have one or two 1911s myself. But (here it goes), I'm much rather have 14+ rounds (or 28 if I have an extra mag) in my primary handgun than 7 or 8 rounds, even if they're 7 or 8 rounds of the most awesome pistol cartridge known to man. But that's just me.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    I'd love to have one or two 1911s myself. But (here it goes), I'm much rather have 14+ rounds (or 28 if I have an extra mag) in my primary handgun than 7 or 8 rounds, even if they're 7 or 8 rounds of the most awesome pistol cartridge known to man. But that's just me.

Theres always the Para double stack. ;)

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Clean it, oil it, change recoil spring once in a great while.
    Don't see that as anything earth-shattering maintenance wise.

A lot of people say that they need a lot more maintenance than other handguns. I understand polymer guns (Glock, H&K, S&W, etc) have a bit more lee way with maintenance than steel handguns. But the maintenance on 1911s, according to a lot of enthusiasts, is a LOT more than the standard handguns.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    I'm no expert but the only thing I can think of is that you should replace the recoil spring sooner than alot of other guns. I think its recommended every 3000 rounds.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Can I be honest here?

You're just being drawn to a 1911 because you want to be one of the cool kids. Everybody wants to be a cool kid.

Or,

Look, when 2011 rolled around everybody got all stirred up about the 1911. Gun magazines went nuts for them anticipating the increased readership and most gun manufactures were prepped and ready to release their version of the classic pistol, looking for the increased interest as the gun turned 100. And they both were right (as evidenced by me not being able to find a reasonably priced SR1911) ... Anyway

I am bored, yes. But I am very curious about the draw for everyone. I don't buy to be a cool kid, or I would have kept the Glock, never traded for my P6, and would have bought a 10/22 instead of a Remington. Everytime I see a thread about 1911s, I try not to open it. I always open it, and I always find myself drooling over what's been posted. For me a lot of the draw has to do with my interest in World War II and military firearms in general.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A lot of people say that they need a lot more maintenance than other handguns. I understand polymer guns (Glock, H&K, S&W, etc) have a bit more lee way with maintenance than steel handguns. But the maintenance on 1911s, according to a lot of enthusiasts, is a LOT more than the standard handguns.

Quit reading the internet and magazines and go shooting, much better information gathering that way.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have seen one 1911 that has needed a bit of work done off and on, front sight blow out (staked), cracked rear sight pins (Eliason), series 80 plunger stuff (is a 70 series now) and the factory plastic mainspring housing cracked (plastic, on a Gold Cup.......what nonsense).

The gun has had those issues, but also gets shot several times a week, and has been run like that for years.

Yup, it actually gets shot, a lot. And it still shoots.

Seen other 1911's run just fine with minimal maintenance. That one Colt has been a turd, comical.......part of the fun I guess, even the owner calls it his "POS". It shoots good BTW. Just over the past few yrs decided to take a rest now and then.

The draw?

Mine works well, shoots accurately, and looks good. 9+K, no glitches.

Last edited:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've always had 1911's. In the military in the 70's and still today. The ones that have trouble are USUALLY the ones that were produced by a poor manufacturer or one that was just starting out (early Kimbers were horrible). I've never had anything better than a mag steel magazine that came with a weapon and been fortunate to never have had issues with a 1911 AFTER break in of about 500 rounds.

That said, the draw to them is simple, in my mind anyway. They are simple to fire, simple to clean and easy to maintain when necessary.

But.... Every person has a different need or desire, if they didn't we would not have so many styles and models. Go to a range, rent a few different ones, see what works for you!

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Can I be honest here?

Or,

Cool kids have Hi Powers :rockwoot:

I wanted one but wasn't about to have to pay $30+ per mag so the gun would actually feed. All I ever hear is that any magazine except Chip McCormick mags don't work. :dunno:

My Chip McCormick Power Mag can go royally screw its self. Its an unreliable expensive turd for me and feeds on the same level as a Promag. My cheap 1911 gets the good stuff. Wilson Combat mags and the ACT-MAGs that it came with.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Shoot one, then you'll understand why people like them.

In terms of pointability and shootability the design has no equal, for me at least.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I have one for the history of it, honestly.. That and my dad (previous owner and the one who bought it new) almost had a "desk pop" trying to clear it at the range.

Mine is a Springfield Armory. I've not shot it much - just enough to be confident that it will work if I need it - but it runs just fine with hollowpoints and all that jazz. Maybe I'm just a young pup and grew up on plastic guns and stuff, but I feel like there are enough other options out there in the combat handgun world to pick from. It's certainly not the first handgun I grab when I open the safe..

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    What's the big deal about 1911s?
    No bigger deal is made than by any random Glock fan. :dunno:

I've also heard the trigger is smooth as butter and breaks evenly everytime.
    Yeah. It's single action. Like a cocked revolver's trigger, for comparison.

However, from what I've read, they need the most care.
    No more than any other if you like to take care of your belongings.

A few of them need to be worked on before they can even feed hollow points reliably.
    1911s were not designed for hollow points (since that ammo wasn't around at the time). The basic design hasn't changed all that much, but you're talking about fractions of mm for feed ramp angle here... not that earth shattering. Shooting lots of ball ammo first will help do the same thing.
    Personal experience talking.

Some compacts have issues for whatever reason.
    Again, not part of the original design. Of course taking anything and shrinking it down tightening angle distances while expecting all the original sized pieces and parts to fit just the same is going to affect something. You're asking a mini version to do the same thing as it's full sized predecessor while feeding it ammo that it wasn't designed to eat.
    I'm impressed that there aren't more issues... It speaks to their credit that a 100+ year old design is not only standing up to the requirements of today, but kicking butt of some of their counterpart contenders while doing so.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have always been a fan of polymer guns. However, my brother got a Norinco 1911 and we both fell in love. He now has a Springer A1 Loaded, my father has a Sig STX and I have the Sig STX and Nightmare. I had an M&P when I was a reserve officer but now that I am solely carrying for me, I've gone over entirely to 1911s. I am wanting to pick up a GI model and start customizing it myself.

Top Bottom