• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianachris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    I work for a large corporation and I only go to the physical location (Louisville, KY) once a month for a meeting. I carry a pocket knife (SOG Trident) on me to cut plastic all day while I'm out and about working.

In the meeting I had on Saturday, We were all given a paper telling us that is forbidden to carry weapons on us or in our vehicle and that we can be searched at any time. It was also worded that we can't have anything that can be used as a weapon on us.

I brought up the fact that I can only be searched while I'm on their property and that my steel toes boots could be a weapon along with the chair I'm sitting in.

I was supposed to sign a paper that I acknowledged the new policy but didn't since I had the knife on me and that I think it should be worded better. Your thoughts?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Take your concerns to your supervisor, if they won't listen, start climbing the ladder until you find someone who will. If you get to the top and no one genuinely cares about the safety of their employees and the concerns they have, leave. Just my .02.

After thought, you could always go to legal an express your concern about how this opens them up to a wrongful termination suit. I mean... Jason Bourne killed a guy with a ballpoint pen. Everything has weapon potential, the mind simply must force the body to make use of it.

indianachris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    I did update my resume and I'm supposed to hear from HR about the new policy. I'm willing to bet that I will never hear another word about it until I bring it up again.

Can I be searched legally if they wanted to?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I did update my resume and I'm supposed to hear from HR about the new policy. I'm willing to bet that I will never hear another word about it until I bring it up again.

Can I be searched legally if they wanted to?
    IANAL...That being said.
    only if you consent. That is why they put they can search you whenever they want in the paper they wanted you to sign.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    IANAL...That being said.
    only if you consent. That is why they put they can search you whenever they want in the paper they wanted you to sign.

I agree with this statement. They essentially wanted a written copy of you waiving your rights. Since you didn't authorize it, your rights are still intact and thus, your job in potential jeopardy. If they attempt to search you and refuse you could be terminated but if they do and find a knife, or scissors or whatever they are looking for still terminated. Fight the good fight but also remember that it is always better to resign than be fired. Unless you plan on cashing in for unemployment.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    As we all know, anything can be used to kill or hurt someone. Your company is trying to CYA with a policy that prohibits you from having anything that could be used as a weapon. They will be able to say that you were in violation of company policy if you were to attack someone.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I agree with this statement. They essentially wanted a written copy of you waiving your rights. Since you didn't authorize it, your rights are still intact and thus, your job in potential jeopardy. If they attempt to search you and refuse you could be terminated but if they do and find a knife, or scissors or whatever they are looking for still terminated. Fight the good fight but also remember that it is always better to resign than be fired. Unless you plan on cashing in for unemployment.

Signing the policy page doesn't waive his rights. It's just another tool to be used against him in the event that he refuses a search and is consequently terminated. Should he sue for the manner in which he was terminated, they'll trot out that little piece of paper, his refusal to be searched, and voila!

OP they can't forcibly search you. But your refusal has consequences. So does your disregard for the policy if you are "caught". Weigh the opportunity costs carefully and make your choice accordingly.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Point out the fact that you can't sign the form because the pen you would have to use to sign it with makes an EXCELLENT stabbing weapon. Also insist that they immediately remove all pens, pencils, etc that could be used as stabbing weapons.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My company has a "No Weapons" policy. Just your standard CYA BS. A knife is a tool and an unloaded gun is a paper weight. But hey if you stab your boss in the neck with a pencil they can fire you for having a weapon.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    My company did away with personal knifes and replaced them with company approved cutting tools aka box cutters with razor blades you know cause they only cut boxes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    In the meeting I had on Saturday, We were all given a paper telling us that is forbidden to carry weapons on us or in our vehicle and that we can be searched at any time. It was also worded that we can't have anything that can be used as a weapon on us.
    Your car keys can be used as a weapon... Maybe they want you to walk there to be in compliance? Hopefully, someone will say that KY has the same law that IN does about employee parking lots and weapons.

I'd start firing out resumes, if that's an option; and hope potential employers don't call the current one for references? <- easy for me to say since I am retired. Good luck with whatever you decide.

js24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    My understanding is that for Indiana, the blade must be larger than 3.5 inches to be considered a weapon. I have worked for corporations that have asked for the same document to be signed. I still carried my knife on me and when people asked, I stated the law and told them my blade wasn't big enough to legally be considered a weapon. I can still cut with it and yes, it could technically kill someone, but the law is the law. My knife is within the size limitations and therefore, by law, it's not a weapon. Upon doing stating that, I've never been pushed by anyone to remove it. If I was, then I would elevate it to hr. I've also found that if you just wear yours where the body is inside your pocket versus showing, you pretty much never get questions. Just like CC. I starting doing that a year or two ago and have only received one question since and it ended quickly after I brought up the law scenario.

Top Bottom