• ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It seems it might not be.

Guns with no muzzle devices can easily exceed 160dB.

Your typical set of over-the-ear muffs maxes out at around 32dB reduction-- and that's a GOOD set. Cheaper ones can be as low as 25-26dB.

That means that even with GOOD hearing protection, you're still seeing something like 130dB to your ears with every shot.

Is that acceptable?

I don't know. The one thing that I think keeps gunfire from being *as* damaging is that it tends to be low-frequency and single impulse. Human hearing is comparably far more robust at lower frequencies.

However, gunfire is NOT a bass frequency. Yes, there's a "boom' that you'll feel as blast, but there's also higher frequency content that is NOT infrasonic. Some ears might be sensitive enough that they can't shrug off 130dB at that frequency.

But what if you want to be able to take off the muffs and hear conversation?

I propose you consider a high-fidelity earplug like a "musician's earplug." These kinds of plugs have low reduction ratings (typically 10-20dB), but reduce all frequencies somewhat evenly. Meaning you don't get that muting of all high frequencies that make it impossible to understand speech and such.

Here's a great one from Etymotic that allows for variable levels of attenuation: Etymotic Research, Inc. - Musicians Earplugs High-Fidelity Hearing Protection

Here's another model that has variable attenuation form another company: MusicSafe Pro Professional Musicians Ear Plugs - Consumer Packaged Reusable Ear Plugs

By wearing these kinds of earplugs UNDERNEATH your regular muffs, you can add another 10-25db of noise reduction while really only having to remove ONE set of hearing protection to be able to communicate.

If you have the fancy muffs that have the microphones and such in them, then you have it all-- maximum attenuation of 40-50dB and STILL no need to remove your hearing protection to understand speech.

An extra 10-25 db might not seem like a whole lot, but if you shoot a lot for a long time, it might be the difference between being an elderly deaf person that can't hear the grandkids or having no problems at all.

Remember: HEARING DAMAGE IS CUMULATIVE!

So I highly recommend beefing up your hearing protection, and if you shoot indoors, I'd consider it almost a must-have.

Protect the one set of ears you have.

Happy Shooting!

H

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I said:

IT SEEMS IT MIGHT NOT BE.

GUNS WITH NO MUZZLE DEVICES CAN EASILY EXCEED 160DB.

YOUR TYPICAL SET OF OVER-THE-EAR MUFFS MAXES OUT AT AROUND 32DB REDUCTION-- AND THAT'S A GOOD SET. CHEAPER ONES CAN BE AS LOW AS 25-26DB.

THAT MEANS THAT EVEN WITH GOOD HEARING PROTECTION, YOU'RE STILL SEEING SOMETHING LIKE 130DB TO YOUR EARS WITH EVERY SHOT.

IS THAT ACCEPTABLE?

I DON'T KNOW. THE ONE THING THAT I THINK KEEPS GUNFIRE FROM BEING *AS* DAMAGING IS THAT IT TENDS TO BE LOW-FREQUENCY AND SINGLE IMPULSE. HUMAN HEARING IS COMPARABLY FAR MORE ROBUST AT LOWER FREQUENCIES.

HOWEVER, GUNFIRE IS NOT A BASS FREQUENCY. YES, THERE'S A "BOOM' THAT YOU'LL FEEL AS BLAST, BUT THERE'S ALSO HIGHER FREQUENCY CONTENT THAT IS NOT INFRASONIC. SOME EARS MIGHT BE SENSITIVE ENOUGH THAT THEY CAN'T SHRUG OFF 130DB AT THAT FREQUENCY.

BUT WHAT IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE OFF THE MUFFS AND HEAR CONVERSATION?

I PROPOSE YOU CONSIDER A HIGH-FIDELITY EARPLUG LIKE A "MUSICIAN'S EARPLUG." THESE KINDS OF PLUGS HAVE LOW REDUCTION RATINGS (TYPICALLY 10-20DB), BUT REDUCE ALL FREQUENCIES SOMEWHAT EVENLY. MEANING YOU DON'T GET THAT MUTING OF ALL HIGH FREQUENCIES THAT MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND SPEECH AND SUCH.

HERE'S A GREAT ONE FROM ETYMOTIC THAT ALLOWS FOR VARIABLE LEVELS OF ATTENUATION: ETYMOTIC RESEARCH, INC. - MUSICIANS EARPLUGS HIGH-FIDELITY HEARING PROTECTION

HERE'S ANOTHER MODEL THAT HAS VARIABLE ATTENUATION FORM ANOTHER COMPANY: MUSICSAFE PRO PROFESSIONAL MUSICIANS EAR PLUGS - CONSUMER PACKAGED REUSABLE EAR PLUGS

BY WEARING THESE KINDS OF EARPLUGS UNDERNEATH YOUR REGULAR MUFFS, YOU CAN ADD ANOTHER 10-25DB OF NOISE REDUCTION WHILE REALLY ONLY HAVING TO REMOVE ONE SET OF HEARING PROTECTION TO BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE.

IF YOU HAVE THE FANCY MUFFS THAT HAVE THE MICROPHONES AND SUCH IN THEM, THEN YOU HAVE IT ALL-- MAXIMUM ATTENUATION OF 40-50DB AND STILL NO NEED TO REMOVE YOUR HEARING PROTECTION TO UNDERSTAND SPEECH.

AN EXTRA 10-25 DB MIGHT NOT SEEM LIKE A WHOLE LOT, BUT IF YOU SHOOT A LOT FOR A LONG TIME, IT MIGHT BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING AN ELDERLY DEAF PERSON THAT CAN'T HEAR THE GRANDKIDS OR HAVING NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

REMEMBER: HEARING DAMAGE IS CUMULATIVE!

SO I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BEEFING UP YOUR HEARING PROTECTION, AND IF YOU SHOOT INDOORS, I'D CONSIDER IT ALMOST A MUST-HAVE.

PROTECT THE ONE SET OF EARS YOU HAVE.

HAPPY SHOOTING!

Better?
    ;)

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Good info
    I always have both sponge ear plugs and muffs with me at the range and use one or boyh depending on what I and those around me are shooting.

One one occasion a gent beside me had a large caliber rifle with a muzzle break and both were not enough protection.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I said:

IT SEEMS IT MIGHT NOT BE.

GUNS WITH NO MUZZLE DEVICES CAN EASILY EXCEED 160DB.

YOUR TYPICAL SET OF OVER-THE-EAR MUFFS MAXES OUT AT AROUND 32DB REDUCTION-- AND THAT'S A GOOD SET. CHEAPER ONES CAN BE AS LOW AS 25-26DB.

THAT MEANS THAT EVEN WITH GOOD HEARING PROTECTION, YOU'RE STILL SEEING SOMETHING LIKE 130DB TO YOUR EARS WITH EVERY SHOT.

IS THAT ACCEPTABLE?

I DON'T KNOW. THE ONE THING THAT I THINK KEEPS GUNFIRE FROM BEING *AS* DAMAGING IS THAT IT TENDS TO BE LOW-FREQUENCY AND SINGLE IMPULSE. HUMAN HEARING IS COMPARABLY FAR MORE ROBUST AT LOWER FREQUENCIES.

HOWEVER, GUNFIRE IS NOT A BASS FREQUENCY. YES, THERE'S A "BOOM' THAT YOU'LL FEEL AS BLAST, BUT THERE'S ALSO HIGHER FREQUENCY CONTENT THAT IS NOT INFRASONIC. SOME EARS MIGHT BE SENSITIVE ENOUGH THAT THEY CAN'T SHRUG OFF 130DB AT THAT FREQUENCY.

BUT WHAT IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE OFF THE MUFFS AND HEAR CONVERSATION?

I PROPOSE YOU CONSIDER A HIGH-FIDELITY EARPLUG LIKE A "MUSICIAN'S EARPLUG." THESE KINDS OF PLUGS HAVE LOW REDUCTION RATINGS (TYPICALLY 10-20DB), BUT REDUCE ALL FREQUENCIES SOMEWHAT EVENLY. MEANING YOU DON'T GET THAT MUTING OF ALL HIGH FREQUENCIES THAT MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND SPEECH AND SUCH.

HERE'S A GREAT ONE FROM ETYMOTIC THAT ALLOWS FOR VARIABLE LEVELS OF ATTENUATION: ETYMOTIC RESEARCH, INC. - MUSICIANS EARPLUGS HIGH-FIDELITY HEARING PROTECTION

HERE'S ANOTHER MODEL THAT HAS VARIABLE ATTENUATION FORM ANOTHER COMPANY: MUSICSAFE PRO PROFESSIONAL MUSICIANS EAR PLUGS - CONSUMER PACKAGED REUSABLE EAR PLUGS

BY WEARING THESE KINDS OF EARPLUGS UNDERNEATH YOUR REGULAR MUFFS, YOU CAN ADD ANOTHER 10-25DB OF NOISE REDUCTION WHILE REALLY ONLY HAVING TO REMOVE ONE SET OF HEARING PROTECTION TO BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE.

IF YOU HAVE THE FANCY MUFFS THAT HAVE THE MICROPHONES AND SUCH IN THEM, THEN YOU HAVE IT ALL-- MAXIMUM ATTENUATION OF 40-50DB AND STILL NO NEED TO REMOVE YOUR HEARING PROTECTION TO UNDERSTAND SPEECH.

AN EXTRA 10-25 DB MIGHT NOT SEEM LIKE A WHOLE LOT, BUT IF YOU SHOOT A LOT FOR A LONG TIME, IT MIGHT BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING AN ELDERLY DEAF PERSON THAT CAN'T HEAR THE GRANDKIDS OR HAVING NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

REMEMBER: HEARING DAMAGE IS CUMULATIVE!

SO I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BEEFING UP YOUR HEARING PROTECTION, AND IF YOU SHOOT INDOORS, I'D CONSIDER IT ALMOST A MUST-HAVE.

PROTECT THE ONE SET OF EARS YOU HAVE.

HAPPY SHOOTING!

Better?
    ;)

Well why didn't you say that the first time! :)

d012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    You only have two ears, so keep them safe. That is a good point, nobody really thinks about adding more ear protection.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Good info
    I always have both sponge ear plugs and muffs with me at the range and use one or both depending on what I and those around me are shooting.

One one occasion a gent beside me had a large caliber rifle with a muzzle break and both were not enough protection.

This is what I use. It works for almost any caliber being shot.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It seems it might not be.

Guns with no muzzle devices can easily exceed 160dB.

Your typical set of over-the-ear muffs maxes out at around 32dB reduction-- and that's a GOOD set. Cheaper ones can be as low as 25-26dB.

That means that even with GOOD hearing protection, you're still seeing something like 130dB to your ears with every shot.

Is that acceptable?

I don't know. The one thing that I think keeps gunfire from being *as* damaging is that it tends to be low-frequency and single impulse. Human hearing is comparably far more robust at lower frequencies.

However, gunfire is NOT a bass frequency. Yes, there's a "boom' that you'll feel as blast, but there's also higher frequency content that is NOT infrasonic. Some ears might be sensitive enough that they can't shrug off 130dB at that frequency.

But what if you want to be able to take off the muffs and hear conversation?

I propose you consider a high-fidelity earplug like a "musician's earplug." These kinds of plugs have low reduction ratings (typically 10-20dB), but reduce all frequencies somewhat evenly. Meaning you don't get that muting of all high frequencies that make it impossible to understand speech and such.

Here's a great one from Etymotic that allows for variable levels of attenuation: Etymotic Research, Inc. - Musicians Earplugs High-Fidelity Hearing Protection

Here's another model that has variable attenuation form another company: MusicSafe Pro Professional Musicians Ear Plugs - Consumer Packaged Reusable Ear Plugs

By wearing these kinds of earplugs UNDERNEATH your regular muffs, you can add another 10-25db of noise reduction while really only having to remove ONE set of hearing protection to be able to communicate.

If you have the fancy muffs that have the microphones and such in them, then you have it all-- maximum attenuation of 40-50dB and STILL no need to remove your hearing protection to understand speech.

An extra 10-25 db might not seem like a whole lot, but if you shoot a lot for a long time, it might be the difference between being an elderly deaf person that can't hear the grandkids or having no problems at all.

Remember: HEARING DAMAGE IS CUMULATIVE!

So I highly recommend beefing up your hearing protection, and if you shoot indoors, I'd consider it almost a must-have.

Protect the one set of ears you have.

Happy Shooting!

H

As a Certified and Licensed Athletic Trainer for 21 years...I concur with this information!

Personally, when I'm shooting, I wear ear plugs underneath my ear muffs...and I have no measured hearing loss after 30+ years of shooting shotguns, rifles, and endless handguns, both indoors and out!

Take a few seconds and protect your hearing...once it's gone, it's gone forever!

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    When I'm shooting something with a very loud report I like to use those Sonic II ear plugs with standard muffs over the top of them. If my wife is doing shot spotting for me, she'll wear a set of foam plugs with muff over them also.

Those Sonic II's do a fairly good job on things that are medium report, but they give me a strange twang thing going on in my ear if I wear them too long. I don't know how to explain it, it's almost like trying to talk when your sinuses are all plugged up. I just ordered a set of electronic ear muffs today from Bass Pro, a set of Caldwell's. I'll probably use them with the Sonic II under them too.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    count me in with the group that doubles up on ear pro.

I wear in-ear squeezies/rubber ones in my ears and then put a decent set of muffs on top of that. I especially do this if shooting indoors or under a roof.

If I'm outside in the open, and it's just one pistol going at a time, I may just use one or the other. More than one shooter - I'll generally wear both again.

I've tried just the electronic muffs - wasn't thrilled with the level of protection. Just not enough mitigation for my likes. I've not tried squeezies underneath electronic muffs, however.

Heck, I'll even use ear pro when I'm shooting a suppressed .22 - if indoors and under a roof.

I've got 50-60 years left to use these ears, I need to baby and coddle them.

-J-

Top Bottom