• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That's fine. Personally, I'll verify my load with the chrono and another electronic scale and I'll be at the range shooting while you're at home reloading.

Talking about a thousandth of a pound or whatever might sound scary to someone who has not loaded much, but to someone who loads thousands of rounds a year, I realized long ago that I'm not reinventing the wheel here. I nearly always load only from published data. I have a log of everything I load.

Not to mention that most of my loading is for a gun that costs thousands, not a few hundred.

I recognized in my post that others have different loading procedures. But for me personally, so long as the scale has a 5% tolerance or so, it's perfectly safe.

So, you're shooting a gun costing "thousands" and you're not willing to spend $125 on a quality scale? Shows where your priorities are, I guess.

I've been loading for over ten years and haven't had a mishap due to an over/underload and I'd like to keep it that way. I do load on a progressive some times and a single stage others, but I always verify the importian details with quality equipment.

Doug K

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I picked up an RCBS beam scale for $40 new off ebay. Best scale I have owned. I was looking into a digital but there are too many mixed reviews on them drifting and needing calibrated often. I reload all my pistol and .223 with a progressive so I just double check the charge with my beam scale. My 7mm Mag gets every charge weighed out on the beam for consistency. I still use my single stage press for the rifle and all sizing work. Hand prime the cases and finish on the progressive.

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    fall creeek valley conservation club offers a handloading class i took it a few years ago great info in you are looking to start reloading for sure a great learning experience

Reloader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I agree..$100.00 is a little high for that setup. I would recommend a Lee Breech Lock kit to start on and I have a new one if you are interested. I also agree that a reloading class would be of benefit. I am a NRA certified reloading instructor and would be happy to help you find someone in your area that offers classes. I think you will find this hobby rewarding and their are lot's of folks on this forum that can help get you pointed in the right direction

Counselor1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I agree with the rest, single stage press is the way to start out reloading. It allows you to learn each stage of the process, to get a feel of when you get all the measurments correctly, and you can always find a use for a single stage press (once you buy a progressive later, you can still use the single stage if you ever reload rifle rounds).

The price is a bit high given the condition and you'll still need to invest about another 50-75 dollars for a powder dispenser and a primer tool. Offer 50 and see where it goes. Either way, I would suggest getting into the hobby of reloading. Once you do, you never have to worry about ammo availability. Good luck.

Top Bottom