• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Can't see the safety, but that appears to be standard Condition 1. I carry my 1911 "cocked and locked", just like that. Well, without the other pistol hanging above it. Or below it. Whichever. They're both in Condition 1.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Cocked & Locked is proper safety procedure for a 1911... If you ever see one that isn't cocked it is either unloaded, or the IDIOT that has it needs a good education on safe use of the 1911

2014-04-27T194938Z_1698610420_GM1EA4S0A6Z01_RTRMADP_3_USA.JPG

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    That's why I was asking.......this just seems like it is against every rule my dad ever taught me. Anyone care to teach my why you are suppose to carry a 1911 this way? I personally don't even chamber a shell when I carry my SR40 or similar weapon.......should I?

Guess it goes back to my hunting days.....I always unloaded the chamber on my gun when walking with others, climbing fences and stands. Maybe I am just too safe....if there is such a thing.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That's why I was asking.......this just seems like it is against every rule my dad ever taught me. Anyone care to teach my why you are suppose to carry a 1911 this way? I personally don't even chamber a shell when I carry my SR40 or similar weapon.......should I? Yes

Guess it goes back to my hunting days.....I always unloaded the chamber on my gun when walking with others, climbing fences and stands. Maybe I am just too safe....if there is such a thing.

The 1911 "cocked and locked" basically means the gun is cocked and ready to shoot, but has the safety on. You should definitely keep one in the pipe on your SR40 if you are carrying for protection.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The 1911 "cocked and locked" basically means the gun is cocked and ready to shoot, but has the safety on. You should definitely keep one in the pipe on your SR40 if you are carrying for protection.

Either that, or become VERY familiar and fast with the Israeli draw. I find it easier to just keep one in the pipe, and be judicious with proper safety protocol.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    That's why I was asking.......this just seems like it is against every rule my dad ever taught me. Anyone care to teach my why you are suppose to carry a 1911 this way? I personally don't even chamber a shell when I carry my SR40 or similar weapon.......should I?

CHC, you most definitely should have a round chambered in your carry piece. Otherwise it's nothing more than a short, unwieldy club that will be of little use to you in a fight. You're betting your life on the belief that you'll have both hands available to get the gun in operation and that may not be true. If you're wrong you'll die.

John Browning designed the 1911 to be carried with the hammer cocked and the manual safety UNlocked. He felt the grip safety was sufficient to allow this mode of carry. Cocked and locked is universally regarded as the proper and perfectly safe way of carrying.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    The 1911 has two standard safeties on it, the grip safety and the manual thumb safety, meaning you have to have your hand on the grip good and click the thumb safety off before it will fire it, is very safe.

Yes always put on in the pipe of your SR40, I carry one in the pipe of my SR9. Think of it this way, when you have a good holster even if the safety would be to get bumped off the gun will not fire cause the trigger cannot be activated. Dont play with your gun throughout the day, put in in there ready to fire, safety on or off however your prefer and leave it in there till you take it out at night. When you put it back in in the morning I always put my gun in my holster and then put my holster on, ensures safety I feel.

The last thing you want to be doing is worrying about properly racking the firearm during a need, Plus you lose a round of capacity.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I carry my Colt Double Eagle 45 with the hammer down, BUT it doesn't have ANY safety except the Decocker. As it is a DA/SA firearm, it will go boom if you pull the trigger with one in the tube ~ de-cocked or not. The trigger is fairly light in SA mode so I always carry with the hammer down. As far as that goes, my other two Colt's (revolvers) King Cobra .357 and Anaconda 44 mag have no "safeties" either.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

YES!

Go read this thread right now:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...begging*-you-stop-carrying-empty-chamber.html

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you have a well developed and inerrant sense of precognition, by all means, continued to carry with the chamber empty. If not, train to the point you are comfortable carrying with your gun ready to to be used in your defense.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's 'Tommy Tacticool' right there! :lmfao:

Now that's kind of harsh. It's called "being prepared". If he rolls around in gravelly mud wrestling bad guys for a half hour and locks up one SERPA, he can always go to the second SERPA and still have a decent chance to shoot himself....because of the SERPA...and failing that, he's still got his cocked and locked tacti-finger.

(happy SERPA owner myself, but only 1).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "What's wrong" with this photo is that both firearms are on the same side of his body.

Secondarily - Serpa holsters. I hope he's trained in their use.....and I hope they don't jam up/break on him.

Tertiary-ily (that a word?) that thigh rig with that pull over? Come on, Jethro. That's sooooo tacky.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Carrying a defensive handgun is VERY different than carrying a hunting rifle. Different purposes altogether.

Your carry handgun should always have a round chambered and the safety (assuming one exists) on. There is some argument with revolvers having the hammer on an empty chamber, but even that isn't needed with anything modern.

MR. Sanders hit it on the head: unless it is ready to go, it is just an expensive and ineffective little club. You may well need to shoot one-handed, or react faster than drawing and "racking" the slide will allow. When hunting, YOU get to choose the shot. When on defense, your attacker is choosing the time and place. Don't give them any more advantage than you must.

Top Bottom