• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    Starting a new job on monday, and I was told first couple days is business casual until my uniforms are ready.

Obviously I'm going polo shirt with non-jean pants. I want to wear old uniform pants, Black 5.11 tactical BDU/Cargo pants.

This g2g?

I know...guy asking for guy fashion tips...:dunno:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If it were me, I think I would tone down the more 'tactical' aspects of your wardrobe until you have a solid grasp of the environment.

Maybe some chinos and a pressed button-up shirt?(short-sleeve is appropriate for this time of year). A tie is not necessary, but a nice pair of leather shoes and a matched belt speak well for you.

-Paul

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I agree with PaulF, slightly overdressed is worlds ahead of slightly under dressed. You only get one chance to make a first impression. just my 2 cents.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If I'm told business casual, I assume my man thong isn't good enough and usually step it up to some french knickers or something made out of vinyl. I save the black leather for formal occasions.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What's the job?

This ^^

Depending on the job you dont want to show up with BDU/military style pants unless it's somewhat related to security.

You can wear a shirt, a tie (that you can remove or not, easier than to find one if you actually need one), and suit pants.

It really depends on your work field.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    If it were me, I think I would tone down the more 'tactical' aspects of your wardrobe until you have a solid grasp of the environment.

Maybe some chinos and a pressed button-up shirt?(short-sleeve is appropriate for this time of year). A tie is not necessary, but a nice pair of leather shoes and a matched belt speak well for you.

-Paul

:+1: Spot on. This is exactly right, at least from everything I've always been taught. Definitely would nix the cargo pants, but a tie is more business formal. A polo is even considered business casual by most, but if I'm told business casual I go with a button up, a nice pair of slacks, and make sure my shoes and belt match. :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    :+1: Spot on. This is exactly right, at least from everything I've always been taught. Definitely would nix the cargo pants, but a tie is more business formal. A polo is even considered business casual by most, but if I'm told business casual I go with a button up, a nice pair of slacks, and make sure my shoes and belt match. :twocents:

You can always remove the tie if needed.

Easier than to learn that you need a tie at the last minute and to be the only guy without a tie. :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yes, that is business-casual. :yesway:

At my company (Fortune 500), you would be sent home. Polo or golf style shirts are unacceptable. Our version of business casual means a button up shirt with collar (regular dress type shirt, but can be short sleeve and reasonable pattern and colors). Shirt must be tucked in. Pants as long as non jeans, dress pants, khakis. No shorts. No tennis shoes or sandals. Leather dress shoes.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I do believe I'll be rocking dress slacks and a polo, matching leather shoes/belt!

That is business casual. Anything more formal is acceptable, but that is the minimum. :yesway:

It has been my primary business attire for too many years to admit to with a number of different companies.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    At my company (Fortune 500), you would be sent home. Polo or golf style shirts are unacceptable. Our version of business casual means a button up shirt with collar (regular dress type shirt, but can be short sleeve and reasonable pattern and colors). Shirt must be tucked in. Pants as long as non jeans, dress pants, khakis. No shorts. No tennis shoes or sandals. Leather dress shoes.

That's why it pays to know the place. In a fancy law firm, you may be sent home because you wouldn't have a tie and blazer or sports coat. That'd be casual in some places and formal would be a suit. The definition of "business casual" has been stretched over the years.

My place is business casual and that seems to vary from department to department, and gets more formal the higher you are. The scientists are doing good to have matching socks sometimes ;) and the marketing guys are more polished. I'm the computer guy, so I can get away with a little less formality since I move boxes and crawl on warehouse floors from time to time. Though I do wear Oxford cloth button down shirts, nicely pressed khakis, and nice shoes from time to time.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have to do business casual for my EMT classes and I'm going to go with the usual. Khakis, which have cargo pockets for stuff that I need for class, and a button up shirt. If I'm in khakis and not at work it's a nice belt and I have shoes to match.

I've found that khakis with cargo pockets are acceptable at most places.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Love my job. When I go into the office this time of year it's cargo shorts, T-shirt and some keen sandals.

Business casual to me would be slacks, golf shirt or long sleeve button down and matching belt & shoes.

Top Bottom