• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-4-16x50-Excavator-Target-Riflescope/dp/B001JJCHI4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1365298399&sr=8-6&keywords=barska+4-16x50[/ame]

BARSKA 4-16x50 IR AO Excavator Target Dot Riflescope

My Brother-in-law called me and told me he bought this for his Mossberg ATR 100 30-06. It's being shipped to me because I have his rifle. (I was removing some rust from condensation and cleaning it.)

He asked me what I thought. I honestly don't know. The only scope I own is a center point that's on my pellet gun. Is this going to hold up to a 30-06 recoil? I see mixed reviews, but I would generally trust INGO members more.

Thanks for any input.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Amazon.com: BARSKA 4-16x50 IR AO Excavator Target Dot Riflescope: Sports & Outdoors

BARSKA 4-16x50 IR AO Excavator Target Dot Riflescope

My Brother-in-law called me and told me he bought this for his Mossberg ATR 100 30-06. It's being shipped to me because I have his rifle. (I was removing some rust from condensation and cleaning it.)

He asked me what I thought. I honestly don't know. The only scope I own is a center point that's on my pellet gun. Is this going to hold up to a 30-06 recoil? I see mixed reviews, but I would generally trust INGO members more.

Thanks for any input.

It will probably hold on a 3006 for a few rounds, but I wouldnt bet on it holding for 50

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Honestly, for about 60 more dollars you can get a really good scope from alan. I just purchased one and I can attest for how amazing the quality of it is. Great lens, good zoom, and is rugged.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Define good? I have a pair of their binoculars, they are excellent for what we use them for. It's all about the glass... application of different coating, layers, etc. Most importantly, your application in near term and future... One up application and/or Personal Legacy (passing down to kids), etc. Good luck

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    He bought it for the sole purpose of deer hunting. He doesn't do any target shooting with it, so it may get used 3 times max per year. Like I said, I have no clue about glass. I use a 30-30 with iron sights for my hunts. I was hoping he isn't going to be disappointed with it and it's going to serve his purpose for hunting.

Thanks for the input so far. It's appreciated.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Stay away from Barska. From personal experience... that is my advice.

It looks good and that's about it. Mine worked alright for about a year, then it just stopped adjusting. I can't even zero the thing anymore. If there's one thing you want for hunting, it's a good zero.

As previously mentioned, for a few bucks more you can get a Vortex Crossfire II from alan... and that might be the best advice given in this thread.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Stay away from Barska. From personal experience... that is my advice.

It looks good and that's about it. Mine worked alright for about a year, then it just stopped adjusting. I can't even zero the thing anymore. If there's one thing you want for hunting, it's a good zero.

As previously mentioned, for a few bucks more you can get a Vortex Crossfire II from alan... and that might be the best advice given in this thread.
    Too bad I didn't have any input beforehand. I didn't even know he was getting one. He just called me up and said "This is coming to you." I hope it's not junk really for his sake and pocketbook. :yesway:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a very basic Barska on my 10/22. Just wanted a basic, get the job done tool. Had it for two years. Will use it for an Appleseed in two weeks. I could afford it and it works.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    You get what you pay for... especially with Optics. HOWEVER...

I had this exact same scope for about 8 months and I never had a problem with it.
    (It was used on a bull barrel 24" AR15). No complaints, but it all comes down to build quality and components used.
    In my favor, it worked well for the time I had it and was surprisingly accurate zeroed in.

Jeff

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'd recommend he buy a set of QD rings, so he can peel it off the rifle quickly for a follow up shot when it fails. Every Barska product I've owned (scopes, red dots, binoculars) has broken with moderate use. I wouldn't trust their optics on a freaking rubber band gun :laugh:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Too bad I didn't have any input beforehand. I didn't even know he was getting one. He just called me up and said "This is coming to you." I hope it's not junk really for his sake and pocketbook. :yesway:

Hopefully it works for him and works for a long time. If he isn't happy with it, send it back for a refund. Probably have to eat the shipping charges, but at least he won't have an expensive paper weight down the road. :yesway:

Then contact Vette about a Crossfire II for it.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Thank you so far everyone. I am trying to get him to cancel the order. He placed it yesterday. I'll see if I can't talk him into something better.

What about this Nikon?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaff-Black-Riflescope-Nikoplex/dp/B004MY5L18/ref=sr_1_15?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1365394235&sr=1-15"]Amazon.com: Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (Nikoplex): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

This looks to be in his price range as well.

http://aaoptics.com/Riflescopes/CrossfireII/4-12x44/

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Thank you so far everyone. I am trying to get him to cancel the order. He placed it yesterday. I'll see if I can't talk him into something better.

What about this Nikon?

Amazon.com: Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (Nikoplex): Sports & Outdoors

Vortex Crossfire II Rifle Scopes | Red Dots | Vortex Binoculars | Range Finders | Spotting Scopes

I just got an email back from him and he is cancelling his order. Hopefully it goes through, he's waiting to hear back. He wants the Crossfire listed.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

What about this Nikon?

Amazon.com: Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (Nikoplex): Sports & Outdoors

Vortex Crossfire II Rifle Scopes | Red Dots | Vortex Binoculars | Range Finders | Spotting Scopes

The nikon is much better than the barska, but the crossfire2 is easily better than a prostaff

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Have to agree with 42769vette. Have 2 Barska's (3x9 and 6x24 that came with rifles so don't call me crazy) and while neither has failed the Vortex crossfire I have has much better clarity than the Barska's. Ditch the Barska idea they will not meet your expectations!

Top Bottom