• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ewoodworth1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    ne indianapolis
    i have a 1911 gov't frame and was wondering if its possible to put on a commander or officer slide and barrel. i would like to know the difference in the frames between these 3 sizes of 1911. so far i am assuming the only difference in them is the length of the recoil spring cover...

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    This is exactly what was done with the CZ-75 Semi-compact (a stock compact slide fitted to a stock full sized frame). It would certainly be possible, but I am not aware as to what measures would need to be taken in order to insure proper fit.

If you have a caliper, perhaps you could start by measuring the thickness and depth of the slide rails to see if they will spec for your frame. check any other tolerances you can think of, and if it checks out, then why not give it a try?

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    It is possible <usually taken the other direction with a full slide on an officers frame>
    I wouldn't try just dropping it in. Even if measurements look clear, too easy to mess things up.
    If you Really want to do it, take it to a competent gunsmith.
    (or jam it in and hope like mad it works :D)

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You'll need to learn to fit the barrel, barrel bushing, etc.

You're going to have a pretty choppy action as well, and you'll want to replace the recoil spring every 500 rounds with the small slide.

Josh <><

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I tried this once with a RIA frame and some aftermarket slide/barrel. Didnt work. I could not get the barrel fitted (this was 1911 #6 I had built, I had the jigs and some experience). After I did sloppily fit it, it battered the living snot out of the frame, particularly on the "leading edge" of the frame's slide rails. Ended up having to scrap the entire frame and slide due to excessive damage to frame (rails were beginning to peel back) and slide dust cover was destroyed (cut into). This was with a commander slide, cant imagine the problems trying to even fit an officer's onto the govt. frame.

This was my experience, I didnt even show off the completed project out of shame... All in all, if you build 1911s for a profession, have fun. If you are a weekend warrior, would not waste time on this, just buy an officers or commander (or build a commander, my father still has my .38 Super one!).

ewoodworth1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    ne indianapolis
    i'm kinda new to gun smithing i just finished an ar and a 1911. haven't shot either yet but on the 1911 i've function tested it over and over again. what "fitting" is required to make sure i have built a solid gun? everything seems to be fine with the 1911 but i would like to know that i won't mess up my investment by not having something right.

not that i dont believe you guys but... what is it that wont work right with the frame? from everything i've seen in the little research that i have done, the only difference in the gov't frame and the commander frame is length of the recoil spring cover and the length of the grip. i'm just having a hard time understanding why it wouldn't work...

my situation is that i have an extra gov't frame laying around that was acquired in a trade, and the recoil spring cover is short due to the previous owner grinding on it. this has made it too short to put the full size slide on it without exposing the frame. so what i was planning on doing was shortening it further (without removing the serial #) to the size of a commander, and tossing all of the commander upper parts on it. i would just hate to have to toss this frame instead of salvaging it.

i need some good direction on this one, i'm sure you guys feel my pain! i am very open to advice and always open to some more educating.

Top Bottom