• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunGunDin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Seriously is the vepr really so much better than a mod'ed out saigi?

Is this just hype?

I m thinking about spending the money, but , I dont want to get sucked into the BS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Well, from what I have read they seem to be higher quality - but "so much better" would be arguable. How much "better" would it have to be to justify a purchase?

I will say this - it would likely cost more to outfit a Saiga 12 in similar fashion, so I had no issue paying Atlantic for a pre-order.

The thing is, with the first shipment of 1,000 not having shipped yet - I doubt many people here are going to be able to give you first hand experiences.

Many could talk about other Molot products they own, or regurgitate things we have heard - but I for one have not got a chance to handle mine yet.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    FWIW VEPR's use RPK receivers NOT AK receivers, so the receiver is much thicker, meaning stiffer and more robust, so in theory YES. I just handled a VEPR 308 modified into a nifty little 308 folding stock carbine, and it was B'DASS! Ordering my VEPR 308 Monday when I get out.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Veppr barrels are cold forged, and the parts that are cast in a saiga are milled parts in a vepr, the receiver is milled - from what I have read.

The few people I have talked to that have handled both have told me the VEPRs are nicer. Until mine arrives, this is word of mouth.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've handled a few veprs (308, 7.62x39) and there is a definite quality difference between saigas and veprs.

Saiga 12s are great. I've had many and loved them all. They don't hold a candle to the Vepr.

At this point you can buy a Vepr 12 for 999 factory converted. You can buy a saiga 12 converted by arsenal for 989... You could buy a saiga for 600 and spend 200 converting it yourself. You still won't have the thicker receiver, milled parts instead of cast, hinged dust cover with the rail, AK sights instead of a bead, a last round bolt hold open, a magwell with drop free mags instead of rock n lock, self regulating gas system instead of a 2 setting system, actual AK hanguards with a removable gas tube instead of a hunting hanguard and fixed tube. All that for $10 more than the arsenal?...come on.

After the saiga 12 the next big thing was the 030 which is almost exactly like a vepr with the exception of the milled parts (still the vepr is better). The pre order was for $1500 over a year ago and people gladly paid it...the Vepr, a better gun, is currently $500 less. You can now get a 030 unconverted for 829.00 from legion...I.E. you still have to buy a trigger guard, retaining plate, trigger, grip, stock, drill out rivits, weld up the holes and recoat all the bare metal...for a lesser gun than the Vepr12 that is $170.00 more and factory unmolested. Prior to them getting shipped here there were those of us willing to pay upwards of $2,000 for them..to see them at 999 is absolutely insane. If a saiga is a ford mustang a Vepr is a ferrari. Imagine if i just told you that i would sell you a ferrari for $10 more than a mustang. That doesn't mean the mustang isn't a nice car, it's just why buy one when you can get a ferrari?

By the way, the price on the Vepr 12 at Tac47 just jumped by $500.00. Had you purchased one last week and decided you didn't want it any more, you'd be 500.00 richer right now. Any investment that nets a 15% profit you should jump on...the Vepr is currently at 50%. That should tell you something right there.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Veppr barrels are cold forged, and the parts that are cast in a saiga are milled parts in a vepr, the receiver is milled - from what I have read.

The few people I have talked to that have handled both have told me the VEPRs are nicer. Until mine arrives, this is word of mouth.

Fyi the receiver isn't milled just the gas block, bolt carrier, trunions ect. You shouldn't see the same tool marks that you see regular AKs

Top Bottom