Is the money you spend on a SIG worth it?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    I am prepared for the uproar this topic is going to start but i want to hear everyones honest opinion. I really would like to know if Sigs are worth the big price tag. They are beautiful guns, yes i agree on that. But are they expensive just because of the name? Like if you are buying clothing, for example, you can buy the same exact shirt but pay more for one because it has a nike logo on it. I also was talking to one of my good friends on our local police department and he told me that they switched from sig because of reliability issues that they were having with the P226 and P229. I have also sat in on board meetings over this discussion and they have decided to switch to M&Ps over the sigs because of reliability. Let me know what you guys think.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've carried and shot my dept issued Sig. P220 for over 10 years now and have never had an issue with it. Is it worth the money, I think that's up to everyones individual opinion. As far as my opinion absolutely!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah the 226 is worth the money, if a person is looking for an all metal DA/SA pistol.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've owned several Sigs, only one left is the 716 AR10. All have been 100% from 1911 to P239 & P226. I prefer my HKs (personal preference), & M&Ps. However, P229 Legion is likely in my future, once I'm sure the QC issues are resolved.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yes, they are worth the money. I've only owned 4, but all were stellar guns. I still have two of them and the ones that left did so to trade to the ones I still have. If you look at their 1911s, they offer a lot for the money. Both of my Sig 1911s cost me around $900 each and both came with night sights, G10 grips, front strap checkering, beaver tail grip safeties, extended slide releases and both are absolutely reliable. Most other manufacturers put that level of a pistol up around the $1100 to $1200 range. Any manufacturer can produce a pistol with issues. The ISP moved away from Glocks to Sigs because of Glock issues.

I'm by no means a Sig fan boy, but I do think they deliver one of the best carry packages for the money today.

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    if youre looking for an all metal DA/SA why not baretta if youre going to spend the money? Also, @wtfd661, have you used many different loads or ammo manufacturers in it?

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    Ok, maybe if you are looking at the 1911 models, but if you look at the normal or full size models you will see atleast, if not more, $100 price difference between them and S&W, GLOCK, SA. Take the P226 as example. Full size 9mm but not one style is less than $1000

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have 4 Sig pistols and I like them all. (P220 carry/full slide, P226 in 9mm and Mosquito) They all function well and I would use the larger calibers for personal protection any day.

My only issue was that I did have was "failure to extract" issues on a P220 carry slide assembly caliber exchange package that I had purchased for my full size P220. I had to work face to face with their sales reps at the NRA Expo 2 years ago to get the whole assembly replaced. The small extractor hook appeared to be too long and was being knocked off the casing when it recoiled, so it was not extracting reliably.

The Mosquito just needs solid CCI Mini-Mags (i.e. NOT Hollow Points) and it works flawlessly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 4 Sig pistols and I like them all. (P220 carry/full slide, P226 in 9mm and Mosquito) They all function well and I would use the larger calibers for personal protection any day.

My only issue was that I did have was "failure to extract" issues on a P220 carry slide assembly caliber exchange package that I had purchased for my full size P220. I had to work face to face with their sales reps at the NRA Expo 2 years ago to get the whole assembly replaced. The small extractor hook appeared to be too long and was being knocked off the casing when it recoiled, so it was not extracting reliably.

The Mosquito just needs solid CCI Mini-Mags (i.e. NOT Hollow Points) and it works flawlessly.

The 3 Mosquito's we have owned would run about anything including Sub-Sonic. Keep them clean and well lubed and no worries.

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    Would you say to get the best use out of your sigs is keeping high maintenance on them then? and ok yes i was basing off of MSRP but still you will see them at least $100 more than the competitors full size model.
    Also, you say NOT hollow points, what ammo do you use in your EDC gun then?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It depends on what you want. If you just want to launch bullets down range and don't have any strong preferences for gun manufacturer, buy a police trade in Glock or M&P and go launch bullets. There is no difference in practical reliability. They all have the occasional lemon, but that's the exception and most run just fine. If you want a metal gun with an external hammer, then your options diminish. Beretta, CZ, and Sig are your likely non-1911 options. CZ is an excellent value, but have limitations. IMO, the factory sights suck butt. The trigger isn't as good as the Sigs out of the box. Holster options are a bit more limited.

So, then you get to Sig. You can pick up classic P-series Sigs in "Nitron" models in the $800-$1k pretty easily, $700s if your patient and shop around. Sigs also come up as police trade ins. Ex: Used Guns For Sale | Sig Sauer P226 - Top Gun Supply and you're in a P226 for under $500.

To me, Sigs are worth it. I find them easier to naturally shoot under stress, I like the weight of the stainless slide and alloy frame for recoil, and I like the no manual safety DA/SA external hammer style of gun. I *try* to buy on the used market though, as few people put any significant amount of rounds through a given gun. Just check the frame rails before you buy. Yes, all my Sigs feed hollowpoints just fine. Maintenance is a tiny bit more involved than a Glock, and you want to use grease on the rails and not oil, but that's pretty simple.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    SIG produces excellent firearms that are priced similar to other high quality firearms. While high quality handguns cost more they tend to hold greater resale value. I suspect the value of the SIG P226s and P229s traded in covered the cost of the M&Ps.

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a SP2022,which is not a high end Sig,but it is full size and somewhat like the P226. For what I paid new for the gun,it shoots just as good as a higher end Sig except it has a Poly frame. I did replace the guide rod with a stainless steel one but other then that,nothing else has been done to the gun and it feels good in my hand. I think it was well worth the money I spent on it,but magazines are expensive for it.

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    so another question is, do you not feel safe or do you feel uncomfortable with using a different manufacturer for your EDC?

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    chambering issues as well as ejecting issues. I, however, did not experience it first hand. and with all of the talk of you guys liking sigs, do you then not feel comfortable with any other manufacturer? say if you had to use something beside a sig as an EDC...?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Do you like the way they shoot? A Glock is a Glock, a Kimber a Kimber and a Sig a Sig. A Sig isn't an "upgrade" over a reliable gun you shoot well, it's another option. Fine guns.

Top Bottom