• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    If I put a 16" 6.8spc upper on my Ar-15 pistol lower reciever is this still a pistol and thus deer legal ? all I can find is what cal. is legal . There is a min. barrel length in the rules but no max .

Solidgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Barrel length and caliber does not matter. If there is no stock and assist device on handguard for additional control, it is a pistol.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Assist device? AKA Front pistol grip?

Whatever you do, do NOT put a vertical foregrip (VFG) on your pistol.

It's an asinine law, but in doing so, you suddenly create an "AOW" and are in illegal possession of one without going through the BATFE paperwork, excise tax money, lengthy wait, etc etc.

Just put a bipod up there (not a grippod) and use that for your off-hand. Bipods on pistols are perfectly legal...

-J-

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I understand all that about the forward grip. My concern is the 16" barrel. I don't need johnny law telling me its not a legal firearm for deer in Indiana.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Barrel length does not matter. 6.8 SPC is deer legal in a handgun.

Handgun? Check.
    6.8mm > .243"? Check.
    Case > 1.16"? Check.

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

emphasis added

In Indiana an SBR is a "handgun".

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Good info. I'm working on a 6.8 build now. Might have to put together a pistol lower also.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

It's an asinine law, but in doing so, you suddenly create an "AOW" and are in illegal possession of one without going through the BATFE paperwork, excise tax money, lengthy wait, etc etc.

Just put a bipod up there (not a grippod) and use that for your off-hand. Bipods on pistols are perfectly legal...

-J-

FWIW, Mr. Spencer from the ATF just opined that a VFG added to a pistol in which the total length it longer than 26 inches, does not create an AOW

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    so i mean is this the same as using a say a 14in pistol barrel for a TC and slapping a stock on and it would be "legal"? taxes payed and papers submitted of course. since it would be classified as an sbr. and then wouldnt that make pretty well any cartridge legal to hunt with since it says that you can hunt with a pistol or does it have to be a specific caliber. i get all screwed up on the whole TC thing i've had 1mill. people tell me 2mill. different things so i got rid of the pistol i had with the super 16 barrel chambered in 45-70.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Well... not always.

Franklin Armoryis pleased to introduce the XO-26!!!
    This new design features an 11.5" barrel and comes in 5.56 NATO (.223 Remington,) 7.62x39, or 450 Bushmaster. The XO-26 ships to 01/FFLs, and it is not an AOW. Consequently, no NFA paperwork is required! Each XO-26 ships with a copy of the ATF approval letter signed by the Chief of the ATF Firearms Technology Branch.
    PRODUCTS

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Apparently if the overall length is more than 26" it is not classified as a "pistol" under federal law. It is a "firearm". Since it is not a pistol (under federal law), putting a vertical foregrip on it does not make it a AOW.

Now, under Indiana law (maybe should I say Indiana Supreme Court ruling?) a 12 GA shotgun with a pistol grip is designed to fired from a single hand, making it a handgun.

I would like to see the justices who came up with that ruling shoot a 12GA pistol grip "shotgun" with one hand and then justify their asinine opinion.

Indiana code is silent on vertical foregrips on handguns.

ETA: bah! Destro beat me to it! By a whole day!

Top Bottom