• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Can I build a rifle on an AR pistol lower?
    If I put a >16" bbl and butstock on a pistol lower is it illegal because its a "pistol" with a butstock even though the bbl is >16"?

Probally already been answered, but I cant seem to find it.

Thanks,
    Johnny C

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    This is one of the more grey areas of the ATF silliness. To give you an idea of what is legal, and it seems what you want to do is legal, Beretta came out with a kit to transform the Neos pistol into a Carbine. As long as you put the 16 inch barrel on the pistol receiver first, or there is no barrel when you install the butt stock, and then install the 16 inch barrel it is legal.

AnimalMother88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    A lower is a lower. You must conform to the laws for either a pistol or a rifle, depending on what you are building. Otherwise file the Class III paper work for a SBR.
    I don't think lowers are dedicated for a pistol or a rifle either way. I also think once it is one or the other that it has to stay that way.
    These are my understandings. I'll be following this post as I would like clarification also.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Once a rifle always a rifle. If you build a rifle on your current AR pistol it must meet the minimum barrel length of 16in or it will become a SBR.

eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Once a rifle always a rifle. If you build a rifle on your current AR pistol it must meet the minimum barrel length of 16in or it will become a SBR.

I think the OP is using this logic but in reverse. If his ar was origionally manufactured as a pistol, is it always a pistol?

Then by adding a 16in plus barrel and butt stock, be illegal because he would be adding it to a pistol.

Last edited:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    You can make a rifle out of a pistol, you can't make a rifle into a pistol. That is the reason I said once a rifle always a rifle.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I would think most of this wouldn't pertain to an AR15 being that one the upper and stock are gone all u have is a lower trigger unit which is all it is, so therefore as long as ur compliant with lengths, it could be either

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would say as long as the buttstock is never on the lower receiver while there is a barrel on the upper shorter than 16 inches you would be ok. You can change receivers back and forth, just look at TC's and Mech Techs. I would not want a buttstock in the house with an AR pistol unless I had a 16 inch upper in possession.

It is a grey area but if you can avoid intent you will be ok. Intent would be owning the pistol and buttstock without owning a long barrel upper.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    You can make an AR15 pistol into a rifle that has a barrel length of at least 16in. with out needing any tax stamp. Although once the lower has had a stock on it and a barrel of 16in it may never be turned back into a pistol.

low_lead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    I think the main reason for marking lowers "pistol" is to charge an extra $20 or so. Maybe ease the paranoia of the range-nazis also.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Please reread post #2 and then contact Beretta since they obviously don't know that once a rifle always a rifle because their instructions for the Neos Carbine Kit explain how to legally go back and forth.

Top Bottom