• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I have some mil. surp. .308 ammo. I have shot from this batch before with no problems, but it has been a while. Well this past sat. my gun kept jamming, either the rounds wouldn't cycle, or they would not eject all the way. At first, I thought my gun was dirty, but I field stripped and cleaned it. It kept doing jamming, and I finally ran some 'clean' ammo thru it and the gun and ammo worked fine.

My question is, could I buy a tumbler and polish the rounds to 'clean' them up? Someone with more knowledge on this please help. Thanks in advance!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I wouldn't tumble loaded ammo. I have cleaned them with a vibratory cleaner though.

Shooting it out of an M1A? Have you shot any steel case or lacquered ammo out if it? If so, that will foul the chamber and cause sticking.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    whoever the mod was that fixed the title.....thanks

I was shooting it out of my LR-308T. When I clean my guns, they get clean!

IM....say when, let's shoot that baby again! Rockwoot thanks again for letting me shoot that beast!

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Looks like you have a nice family so you wouldn't want to lose any of those kids with a random discharge.......don't try it!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Vibratory case cleaner is fine. You can use crushed walnut shells to knock off enough dirt to shoot.
    This also does well for the bullets. There have been volumes of stories told on loaded round case cleaning. For 20-30 minutes of cleaning it is completely safe in a Vibratory type case cleaner..:yesway:

Moses

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Farmersburg, In.
    i would think that tumbling or vibrating loaded ammo would not only be unsafe but would also break down the propellant. try a little bear hair or steelwool and just clean them by hand.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    i would think that tumbling or vibrating loaded ammo would not only be unsafe but would also break down the propellant. try a little bear hair or steelwool and just clean them by hand.
    There have been studies where loaded rounds have been vibrated for hundreds of hours and then the propellent was looked at under a microscope with no discernable change in properties.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    There have been studies where loaded rounds have been vibrated for hundreds of hours and then the propellent was looked at under a microscope with no discernable change in properties.

Good to know. I wonder if it depends on powder type. That would be my only concern, that the powder is broken up and increasing the surface area and therefore the burn rate. This could mean higher pressure and bad things.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I asked teh same question on another board awhile back. Tim Sundles, owner of Buffalo Bore ammunition company said they clean ALL of their loaded ammo before packaging. I've done it with some ugly .45 ammo before and it worked just fine.

Doug K

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate

Link? I am not saying your wrong but for something that could involves ammo. I'd want to be sure. This is one I'd call a powder or ammo manufacturer on.

Top Bottom