Is it responsible to store in a locked console.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I keep my "truck gun" locked in my center console of my locked pickup most of the time. I am the only driver and my keys are secure. No one is going to get to it without breaking glass and making a lot of noise.
    Do you think this is secure or should I remove it every night and lock it inside my home?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Remove it nightly or install a vehicle safe.... My :twocents:
    This ^^^

and install it in a "not so obvious" location...or AT LEAST don't hide it in an obvious compartment.

Think as if you were the guy breaking into it. Where are the first things you're going to look to grab stuff and get out before being caught?

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Your home also has glass to break. I consider both of them the same. I just wouldn't go leaving it in plain sight for undesirables to gather over in either area.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    This ^^^

and install it in a "not so obvious" location...or AT LEAST don't hide it in an obvious compartment.

Think as if you were the guy breaking into it. Where are the first things you're going to look to grab stuff and get out before being caught?

OK. Suggestions for quick EZ access other than places for "the first things you're going to look to grab stuff"? :dunno:

Other than those fortunate enough to have a "gun room" where else other than your bedroom do you keep your weapons? (other than the one I keep in the toaster oven in the kitchen :draw:) Kinda the first place you'd go if you broke in the house don't ya think?

Not EZ to have quick ready access and also someplace someone wouldn't think of searching especially in a car (not much room).

:popcorn:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Responsible? Yes. You have done your part to keep the honest people from getting their hands on it. Problem is there is just too many dishonest people with bad intentions. I would personally take it in nightly.

Just my $0.02

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Honestly, this depends on where you park, what else is in the vehicle tempting a break in, and how painful the loss would be to you.

I have a car stereo in plain sight that's worth more than the gun I may, or may not, keep in the truck.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Every gun stolen and used in a crime is fuel for the antis, not to mention what possibly horrible crime it could be used for in the wrong hands. It's your responsibility to keep your gun off the streets. Getting a cheap car gun so you wouldn't lose much if stolen isn't an excuse to be negligent as a perp will use whatever they have no matter how much it's worth. So I'll agree with at least mounting a safe if not taking it in. Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit of a turkey.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    FYI you don't have to break glass to get into your vehicle. Just call a lock smith and they'll show you that. Most body shops have the tools to do this without damage to your car/truck. All I'd have to do is take a crowbar to your door and reach in with a wire and open your door ... in no more than 10 seconds. The crowbar pops open your console and now your an irresponsible gun owner who just let some punk get your gun.

It's a hassle, but you should take the gun in the house.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Vehicles don't need to have something visible of value to be broken into. It happens anyways, although less likely than if a person left out their iPad.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A friend of mine removed his weapon and locked it in the center console, then locked the truck. When he returned the gun was gone. He was probably observed. The thief opened the truck without any damage. It can happen quickly.

Are you being responsible? Have you done all you can to keep the gun out of the wrong hands? I would say, yes you have. But there is a risk of losing it. I would like to keep a gun in the car but I have had the car broken into in my driveway. Had there been a weapon in there I would have been sick about it.

I am starting to like the idea of a vehicle safe . . .

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Every gun stolen and used in a crime is fuel for the antis, not to mention what possibly horrible crime it could be used for in the wrong hands. It's your responsibility to keep your gun off the streets. Getting a cheap car gun so you wouldn't lose much if stolen isn't an excuse to be negligent as a perp will use whatever they have no matter how much it's worth. So I'll agree with at least mounting a safe if not taking it in. Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit of a turkey.

So, you are saying I need to make sure I have a safe in my house too? Because if someone breaks in and steals something and uses it in a bad way it is my fault.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Um, no. Not in the manner you're implying. (Engaging in illegal trafficking of arms is another story though. :D) Neither he nor anyone else should be responsible for the behavior of other people. And that is exactly what you're suggesting. I understand your point. Nobody wants to be a part of the course of events that put a hand in the gun of someone willing to use it for evil. But holding him responsible for the theft is wrong. Is the woman responsible for the rape because she dressed provocatively and encouraged the man, but called it off somewhere between hot and heavy?

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So, you are saying I need to make sure I have a safe in my house too? Because if someone breaks in and steals something and uses it in a bad way it is my fault.

There's a few different ways of looking at this:

So, what you're saying, is if you leave jewelry out and someone breaks in and steals it, you're not at all at fault? Not legally, but you'll still feel that you should have protected it. Also, I am focused on the responsibility of not having spent a few bucks to have protected the weapon, not what the perp did with it (although if your gun was used to kill someone, I doubt you'd feel good about it).

A house is a bit different than a car. The house doesn't move, so the environmental risk is pretty constant. Your car on the other hand could be in a good neighborhood one minute, and in a cesspool the next.

If you think your iPad might get stolen if left in your car, you'd probably want the safe. If you are even asking yourself the question "is it safe?", then it's probably not safe.

I'll probably think some more on it later. Let me know what you think.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Um, no. Not in the manner you're implying. (Engaging in illegal trafficking of arms is another story though. :D) Neither he nor anyone else should be responsible for the behavior of other people. And that is exactly what you're suggesting. I understand your point. Nobody wants to be a part of the course of events that put a hand in the gun of someone willing to use it for evil. But holding him responsible for the theft is wrong. Is the woman responsible for the rape because she dressed provocatively and encouraged the man, but called it off somewhere between hot and heavy?

That's what you're thinking I'm suggesting. I'm not saying I would hold another person responsible if their weapon was used to kill someone. I would however hold myself to a point. The first thing I would think about is how to better protect my asset. Wouldn't you?

I guess provocative clothing could be used to hurt someone else if stolen... Joke aside, provocative looking woman should be carrying to defend herself. To pretect her asset, her body. If something has value to you, and value in not being used in a way it should not, by a person that should not, would you feel no responsibility if you failed to protect it?

I guess do as you see fit. We all will regardless of others' opinions.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't leave anything in a vehicle unless you have too. The only plus is that it is not visible and most vehicle break ins are theft of convenience.

Get a handgun safe and bolt it or tether it. Most thieves want to get in and out pronto.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I keep a BUG in the console of mine all the time also. I like knowing it is there. I am mowing and have to go get gas and don't take the time to get a carry piece, I have it with me. If the wife would ever have to back me up, it's there.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    After trying to find the right words to convey my point, I think I got it.

The OPs question asks for an opinion (not a question about legal accountability), as facts don't exist to answer this. My opinion is that I won't hold you responsible for if your gun was stolen and used to commit a crime. I would say man that sucks and that would feel terrible if that thread was ever to be posted.

However, I do believe it is a responsibility that a firearm owner should put upon themself to do what is reasonable to protect their firearm(s) from theft and misuse. We know that vehicles get broken into, even those without valuable items immediately on display to the passerby, and that breaking into a vehicle can be without much difficulty, anywhere, and anytime, at any place. In my opinion, it would not be safe to leave a firearm in a vehicle, without being in a compartment designed for the purpose of preventing theft and unattended, in most cases.

If a child were to shoot someone at home, would the homeowner in hindsight wish to have either purchased a safe or taught the child about firearm safety (if applicable due to age)? The intent with the firearm would not matter in hindsight, just that there was a failure to protect the firearm from misuse.

Whew I hope that clears up my intent. Happy eating :popcorn:

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I wouldn't leave anything in a vehicle unless you have too. The only plus is that it is not visible and most vehicle break ins are theft of convenience.

Get a handgun safe and bolt it or tether it. Most thieves want to get in and out pronto.

Some are dumber or more desperate than others.

Top Bottom