Is it legal for a Teen borrowing Dad's car with a pistol locked in car gun safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plane Pistol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    My teenager is now borrowing my car. I usually keep a loaded pistol locked in a steel pistol safe which is secured to the car seat with a steal cable. Both my wife and I have LTCH. My teen does not know the combination to the in-car safe. Is having the pistol in the car a legal issue for my teen or me if my teen is pulled over or in an accident without me present?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    IANAL, but it sounds like a best not to risk it situation.

If he doesn't know the combo (i.e. couldn't use it to save his life if he needed to) and doesn't have an LTCH, there is no potential upside to it being there when you are not present. There is plenty of potential downside if, even locked away with no knowledge of the combo, it could still be considered carrying without a license.

It's a shame vBulletin doesn't support user tagging natively, but there are some relatively inexpensive add-ons out there (Hint-hint @Fenway). It would be nice to be able to type "@Kirk Freeman && @Tactical Firearms Training - any thoughts on ^^^?".

Of course, if we had that ability, they might stay away ;)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes, it IS an issue, and especially so if it's loaded.
    Son may not have access, but the fact remains, he is in "possession" of a firearm without a license.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My opinion is not legal. He is in possession of the gun. But like Ruffnek said a locked safe in and of itself is not proof that a loaded gun is inside.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No as to both questions.

Not legal for him (carrying, 35-47-2-1)

Not legal for you (dangerous control, 35-47-10-6, felony and no guns for you if convicted).

Don't try to out trick yourself. Wait until he is 18 and then he gets a LTCH even if he does not carry.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If I'm not home is my family in possession of my NFA items? The don't know the combo to my safe. IANAL but I doubt they are in possession.

I'll just have some popcorn...

:popcorn:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If I'm not home is my family in possession of my NFA items? The don't know the combo to my safe. IANAL but I doubt they are in possession.

I'll just have some popcorn...

:popcorn:

Seems like I have seen this answer somewhere before. I think it would be the same thing if you have a felon that lives in your house; as long as they don't have access, you're good. Once again IANAL, it just seems that I've read a similar discussion on here before.

ETA: A trust could remedy this situation.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Alright, where is this coming from?

No knock on the person this was directed at... but my vote is ignorance. (not stupidity... not casting stones here...)

And it makes sense to me on the surface. If my guns are locked up in my house (and for this exercise, not in a vault) and a friend stops by with his felon friend and we are talking in the yard, is that felon in jeopardy? Still on the property as above, and still no access. But yes, proving a negative is nearly impossible.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Einstein was 17 years old once. And I bet he had a stupid friend or two. 17 year olds do stupid things. Even Einstein.

Don't leave a weapon in the car if he's driving.

Top Bottom