• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • splunkinoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Hello,

I was wondering if it is a good time to start reloading. I have heard a lot of talk of primers being very tough to get a hold of or being expensive when you can find them. Is it still worth the time to reload?

I am looking to reload .223 primarily. I collect my brass each time I shoot and I have a great deal of it. However, the brass is being ejected from a mini 14 that likes to dent cases, are dented cases junk or still usable?

I am looking to get into the low end of reloading at first (Lee hand loader). I typically shoot every other weekend, 100-200 rounds.

Thanks

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Anytime is a good time to start reloading. Even now.

Depends on how bad the cases are bent, normally they should be fine. You may be able to adjust extractor/ejector to keep it from doing that.

WoodWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Any time is the right time to start reloading, as for primers check out the guy from Goshen that reloads his HiPoint primers, great video.
    You can find him in these pages.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You can put in for a back order on primers/powder with some online companies. The wait may be a couple weeks to maybe a couple months, but you can definetly save some money and get exactly the components you want. Check with Graf and Sons or Powder Valley Inc.

A Lee hand loader for 100-200 rounds every other weekend may be a bit tedious and tiring. To shoot that much you may be better served with a nice turret press (Lee Classic) or maybe even a single stage press.

splunkinoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Alright thanks for the responses,

I actually have an RCBS single stage press at home that was my pops. I was considering the hand loader because I will be loading in an apartment and I think I would get in a hurry with the single stage, atleast to start.

I know I will need atleast the following, please help me fill in any blanks:

Lee hand loader
    Dies / resizer
    Crimper for semi auto
    Powder dipper
    Scale
    Primer pocket cleaner
    Trimmer
    Case Gauge
    Bullets
    Powder
    Primers
    Scale

Also, anyone know of any good reloading databases that are reliable? If I have a primer go off in my apt is it anything to worry about?

Thanks

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For rifle dies you will need to lubricate the cases before you can resize them. Also some of your .223 brass may have crimped in primers and will need to have that crimp reamed out before you can seat a new primer. Also you will probably benefit from a primer punch to pound out any military primers that are crimped in.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Alright thanks for the responses,

I actually have an RCBS single stage press at home that was my pops. I was considering the hand loader because I will be loading in an apartment and I think I would get in a hurry with the single stage, atleast to start.

I know I will need atleast the following, please help me fill in any blanks:

Lee hand loader
    Dies / resizer
    Crimper for semi auto
    Powder dipper
    Scale
    Primer pocket cleaner
    Trimmer
    Case Gauge
    Bullets
    Powder
    Primers
    Scale

Also, anyone know of any good reloading databases that are reliable? If I have a primer go off in my apt is it anything to worry about?

Thanks

Here's a list of the basics, from my point of view. I'm using the Lee Handloader for my loading.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/205598-post8.html

I'm curious, are you talking about a Lee Hand Loader, or the Lee Classic Loader, that you use a mallet with? Either way, 200 rounds every two weeks is easily doable. At most, with the Lee Classic Loader, 5-6 hrs work. With the Lee Hand Loader, it's 4-5 hrs work. I've loaded double that every week for my wife and I, with her help. 200 round every two weeks is a nice relaxed rate, and lots of fun. 400 rounds a week is starting to be real work. For me, anyway.

My current set up:
    Reloadingbench001.jpg

Set up in a much smaller house, working on my coffee table. This is similar to an apartment set up, which I've also done:
    LoadingBench.jpg

1100 rounds in a week... THIS was work!
    Lotsofloading.jpg

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A Lee hand loader for 100-200 rounds every other weekend may be a bit tedious and tiring. To shoot that much you may be better served with a nice turret press (Lee Classic) or maybe even a single stage press.

I am just getting into reloading and bought a Lee Classic Turret Press. The press is well built and it will be much more efficient than the single stage press I was thinking about getting. I can't wait to get started. I have primers and powder on back order from Grafs & Sons and bought 1000 bullets as well.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    well it is great to reload but be warned it is as adictive as the shooting itself you will find yourself buy alot more stuff than you plan on

2ridgebacks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Floyds Knobs
    I didn't read everything above, but:
    You will start reloading to shoot and then might shoot to reload.
    Regardless of what your costs are today, you will find deals that make future loads ridiculously inexpensive. I bought 10,000 pulled .224 bullets for $135. Pulled primers were $85/10,000. That goes in with powder that was purchased for $10.62/lb shipped. Very cheap load that shoots well enough.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    (snip)Also, anyone know of any good reloading databases that are reliable? If I have a primer go off in my apt is it anything to worry about?

Thanks

Just google the powder manufacturer, most of them have online data.I would also recomend getting several reloading
    manuals as well for saftey tips, general setup, and load data. Never use somebodys internet load recommendation without verifying from another source.

A primer alone is plenty loud, about like a small firecracker. You should always were saftey glasses when working with primers. Iv'e never had one detonate by accident:evilangel:but I wouldn't take a chance with an eyeball.

redbarontoys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Just about all of the bullet and powder companies have books, cd and dvds available. They tend to limit most of their information to their own products. Dillon, RCBS and Lee all have good info available.

A primer going off by alone would probably not hurt anything but I think it would be load without a gun chamber to muffle it. I never had one do that but I guess it could happen. It would be very dangerous if a primer went off within flash range of your powder. Learn and follow the safety rules in the referece materials above and it should never be an issue.

Have fun, Get hooked, Recruit friends

Top Bottom