Is asking people about their carry weapon okay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Honestly, I don't see an issue with it myself. When I used to OC (The PX4 or the G19) I used to get questions every so often. Usually had to do with me educating people about carry laws and how to go about getting the LTCH and all that. Sometimes it was about the weapon itself and what it is, what caliber, how much did it cost, if I liked it or not, etc. I never did mind standing around talking about it tbh. Now if I was running late to work or something like that then it could get annoying, but its very rare that I run late enough for that to matter. I CC now so I don't ever have anyone ask me about it. Then again I think the only people that are going to notice it are other gun guys/gals and I never complain about a good convo with fellow gun guys/gals.:D

Now if you are going to ask someone about their carry gun, or about carrying at all, be polite about it. If you can tell that they are in a hurry, then just dont bother them at all. Don't sit there and announce it to the entire world, either. You're talking to a person right next to you, act like it. Don't bash their choice in caliber, make, model, color, whatever for any reason. A friendly debate on why they choose to carry a 1911 and not a Glock might not be a bad thing, but saying "Dude 1911's suck, the only gun you should carry is a Glock" like that and not having any real reason behind your thinking is just going to **** people off.

Then there's the people that just do NOT like to talk to anyone and even saying "hi" makes them hate you. If you do happen to find someone like this just apologize and walk away, I guess. Or flash them. That tends to work.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    I dont think its rude to ask about the firearm that someone is carrying. Especially if they are oc. Its another way to begin researching on your next possible firearm. What kind? Recoil? How difficult to take down?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I engage in conversation all the time. Had a really good discussion one time. We talked for almost an hour. I meet new people, teach people new things. It doesn't bother me one bit. Plus, if you're on INGO, that's always good.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO a "Sir, may I ask you a question?" coming from a smiling face, has a much better chance of information exchange (no matter what the subject).

Excited tones and an "OMG!" coming from adult males is a bit of a cultural failing.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would be almost scared to OC in Lafayette. So many college kids around here have no idea what a weapon and think they are toys.

Maybe THEY shouldn't carry (if they don't know what a gun is, or think it is a toy), but I don't see how that would impact you. I've open carried in Lafayette recently, even, with no issues at all.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I don't Really OC, if someone does notice I carry I don't mind them asking.
    I was at lowes a while back and bent over to grab something, when I stood up the young kid at the register had an entirely different look on his face then he did when I bent down. He leaned over quietly and asked "are you a cop" I whispered back "no, are you".
    He then in an even quiter voice asked "then where did you get a gun", to which I replied "the gun store". I did give him a quick tutorial about the laws and he seemed surprised or in disbelief, he stayed very quiet through the conversation I guess so he didn't get me busted.:):
    I really did get a kick out of it, he was a nice young kid that just couldn't believe that I could just carry a gun around.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I always ask OCers what they are carrying because I like guns. I usually ask them WHY they are OCing to determine if they actually understand and care about our gun rights or if they are just seeking attention (guy in Speedway Kroger told me he did it to **** off the cops, and had no idea about their old CC ordinance). If you OC and you aren't prepared for people to notice your firearm, you probably shouldn't OC. The rare occassions I've OCed in public (usually at Big R or Walmart to pick up some ammo before I hit the range) I was happy to answer questions and inform individuals instead of ask like an A-hole and create a negative perception towards gun owners amongst the already vastly undereducated public.

Top Bottom