Is asking people about their carry weapon okay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    So let's say I see a guy OCing somewhere...would asking said person about their weapon be considered rude? I'm pretty new to guns and absolutely love pretty much everything about them so one can understand how I'd be naturally inquisitive. "OMG what kind of pistol is that?!" :)

I suppose it probably varies from person to person. I'm asking because I often see people on here who say things like "OCed today, didnt get any stares and no one said anything about it." Does this mean they'd rather not have people even acknowledge their weapon?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    So let's say I see a guy OCing somewhere...would asking said person about their weapon be considered rude? I'm pretty new to guns and absolutely love pretty much everything about them so one can understand how I'd be naturally inquisitive. "OMG what kind of pistol is that?!" :)

I suppose it probably varies from person to person. I'm asking because I often see people on here who say things like "OCed today, didnt get any stares and no one said anything about it." Does this mean they'd rather not have people even acknowledge their weapon?

I support OC fully and I have many past posts to prove it, but some OCers on here only want the negative attention it seems so they can report back about it.

Do I hear a flam- :flamethrower:

Way back when on this forum I got dogpiled in a thread of mine for asking a guy what he was carrying. Even had people telling me they'd punch me in the face and other "armchair commando" remarks if I had asked them what they were carrying. So it would seem a few don't want you to say anything about it, however if anyone ever asked me about it I'd probably tell them what I was carrying. I don't consider it rude asking someone what they are carrying. My :twocents:.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    I find it rude whenever a complete stranger approaches me in public and asks me any questions that I feel is none of their business.
    If I am in the store to buy bread, I'm there to buy bread not chat with some nosy stranger.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I find it rude whenever a complete stranger approaches me in public and asks me any questions that I feel is none of their business.
    If I am in the store to buy bread, I'm there to buy bread not chat with some nosy stranger.

is the 2 minutes of being nice to someone not worth the self fulfillment knowing you taught them something? or do you prefer to be rude to everyone around you. that is very comparable to someone saying "nice car, that have the 6.0?" and you not responding.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

Should that have been purple? Are you really that antisocial? If I asked you about your gun would you sneer at me?

Sorry don't mean to come across as a B, I'm always excited to meet other gun owners. I figured others would be too.

Of course if the above is your actual feelings you would be fun to bother. People like that I usually like to ask questions and make them talk to me just because they don't want to. :)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I never ask. When I see someone OCing I walk away. You know anyone that would OC is crazy to start with. They could go all Rambo any second.

In truth I never ask, unless its at a gun orientated event. I usually CC but if someone asked me about it I would talk about it. I dont think there is anything like the brotherhood of the gun out in the wild. ;)

If people want to engage in a conversation they will usually let you know.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think most people that OC are fine with you asking questions and talking about guns in general.
    It depends on the kind of questions of course.

"Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?"
    "Why dont you carry a polymer gun instead of that obsolete 1911?"
    "Are you aware that Glocks can shoot by themself?" etc

Those could be rude.
    But I dont see anything wrong if you're asking about the make and model, if the person like the gun, what type of holster that is, and such.

If you dont want people to ask you about your gun you still have the option of CC, so I dont get the people who display their gun and ***** about people asking about it.
    It's just like women who have large boobs, that wear really tight clothes with a huge cleavage and that get offended if you look at their boobs. :D

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I've engaged several Oc'ers in conversations, always with good results.

I Usually start out something like this:

"Excuse me, Sir/ Ma'am (yes, ive see women OCing) I couldn't help but notice your sidearm. I'd like to thank you for supporting our Constitution.

Never had a negative reaction to that approach. In fact they usually turn in very nice conversations.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Pretty much what several others have said. It's part of our lifestyle, it's something we are (or should be) passionate about. Taking a couple of minutes to chat about something we enjoy or to be polite and educate someone about the joys of gun ownership shouldn't be a bother.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm 16 what is this?

If you're 16, look around school. You'll understand.

Me personally, I OC and don't mind being asked. The only people that I hate dealing with are the ones who think that Glocks are the only handguns you can own or the know it all's who carry and think that you should only carry in specific places. I have one of those in my family, and as much as he knows, it pains me to talk to him and his drivel sometimes.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    If someone ever asked me about my carry gun, id punch them square in the jaw!!!!!!! Asking about one mans sidearm is like asking how big his **** is, some men cant handle the truth. So in my opinion them are fighting words :draw:

Out of all honesty i kind of enjoy when a person asks, its nice to strike up conversation with fellow gun owners. IMO anyone that would get upset about someone just talking to them is looney... :twocents:

:ingo:

Top Bottom