• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have a KMR-10 on an 11.5" 5.56 upper. Had it out to shoot for the first time last week. I was impressed by the light weight, but more importantly by the lack of heat transfer under moderately heavy shooting. Installation can be a bit of a PITA and time will tell on durability, but initial impressions are very favorable.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a KMR-10 on an 11.5" 5.56 upper. Had it out to shoot for the first time last week. I was impressed by the light weight, but more importantly by the lack of heat transfer under moderately heavy shooting. Installation can be a bit of a PITA and time will tell on durability, but initial impressions are very favorable.

Interesting. Do you think their keymod panels would help with the heat?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I misunderstood what you were saying. :)

Last edited:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Interesting. Do you think their keymod panels would help with the heat?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I misunderstood what you were saying. :)

I don't have experience with the BCM KMR, but i have 2 rifles with the Noveske NSR, a similar product. I believe that the BCM is lighter per inch bc it is magnesium. The reason I chimed in was that you mentioned rail panels. I found that the rail panels probably increase grip A LITTLE, but overall aren't really necessary. You can save weight by leaving them off (granted only a couple of ounces), probably increase cooling of the barrel, and the comfort is still pretty good. I really like them without the covers.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm pretty happy w/ the 10" kmr on my sbr.
    it's very sturdy. The installation was one of the more difficult I've done. (I found it easier to put the upper alignment tab thingy on the rail first vs on the upper as the directions indicated).

The BCM keymod sling mount works nicely; less bulky than rail-mounted sling mounts. Since this picture I've added a light and am experimenting with the BCM keymod grip (very sturdy and easy on/off btw). I'll probably put some kind of cover on eventually (may try the BCM, don't really want to shell out for the MI covers since they are so pricey) just to round it out and add some grip.

Considering the complaints, the finish has held up pretty well. Even after bumping it around a little and installing/removing lights/sights/slingmounts a couple times I've not seen any appreciable wear.

SBR1_zpsbc7291a6.jpeg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'll admit, when I first saw the KMR, I didn't care much for it. But the more I read about it, I am really starting to like them a lot.

Over the weekend, I bought a stripped Spikes Tactical Jolly Roger lower at Bradis. I'm wanting to get a BCM a upper for it, and had originally planned on going with a Larue rail or even the MAgpul handguards. But since BCM a has phased out Larue, I started looking into the KMR.

I believe that's what I'm going to get.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a BCM mid length upper with a 13" KMR and I'm impressed, I initially had some reservations due to complaints about the finish but I went ahead and order it and I'm glad I did. Its only been to the range a couple of times but likes others mention it is very light and also dissipates heat very well you are welcome to check it out if you are in the Hamilton county area.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have some, and they're my favorite rails. The only downside is that the finish isn't as tough as anodizing. The mounting system is ingenious; you physically can't assemble it with the top rail canted without the use of a BFH and breaking it or your upper.

top 13" w/ 14.5" barrel
    middle 9" w/12.5"
    bottom 7" w/10.5"

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I read a couple comments on facebook where some have mentioned the KMR getting hot after a day of shooting.

Anyone else have this experience? I haven't read any other comments about it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I read a couple comments on facebook where some have mentioned the KMR getting hot after a day of shooting.

I haven't noticed them getting any hotter than any other handguard, and I think they stay cooler than an Noveske NSR.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

I have not done extensive shooting with my KMR but did shoot somewhat fast with it, It seem to me that actually was cooling down faster that other rifle I use in the past.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Question about the alignment tab? Is it there for anti-rotation purposes? I know the instructions reference it for "helping to align the rail" during install, but since you can, with some effort, rotate the rail during install by hand is that it's sole purpose. The reason I ask is because I've run into an issue when trying to mount it on a Mega upper. The area on the upper where the tab interfaces is .015" narrower than say a BCM upper so the tab sits loose and actually rattles around when shook. This would be the case for Ranier and a few other high end companies that use Mega receivers with their own labels.

BDS JIN

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Griffith
    Got a 13'' on 14.5 BCM upper. Supper light and feels prefect. you wouldn't be disappointed when you hold one in your hands.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Question about the alignment tab? Is it there for anti-rotation purposes? I know the instructions reference it for "helping to align the rail" during install, but since you can, with some effort, rotate the rail during install by hand is that it's sole purpose. The reason I ask is because I've run into an issue when trying to mount it on a Mega upper. The area on the upper where the tab interfaces is .015" narrower than say a BCM upper so the tab sits loose and actually rattles around when shook. This would be the case for Ranier and a few other high end companies that use Mega receivers with their own labels.

Are you referring to the billet uppers? I have not had that issue with my forged Mega and Rainier uppers and the KMR.

Top Bottom