• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering if I could hack a muzzleloader barrel down to less than 16" and use a shoulderstock and be ok? I'm not talking about a T/C encore or any other switch barrel types. Just a generic fixed barrel muzzleloader.

Also, if it's ok, do you think it would be ok to deer hunt with it? I know black powder handguns are allowed.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Muzzleloaders are sold without a background check or a 4473 , this makes me believe the BATF views them as a none firearm, and therefore they sould not be restricted in this manner.
    However I am not an expert on BATF type laws and would reccomend that you pose the question to them on their website.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I regularly see BP pistols, but never thought about a SBR version. Just like an antique I firgured you could SBR it. Good luck hitting anything with it.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Muzzle loaders are not considered firearms federally. Indiana I do not know. I have heard both yes and no. If no then I imagine its good to go.

I get really confused when it comes to muzzle loading shotguns. Since Indiana does not allow SBS, would a Howdah Hunter 20GA with a stock be considered an SBS and therefore illegal in Indiana?

Lafayette Yeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    The problem I see with an SBR ML is that black powder and its substitutes (like Pyrodex) are very slow burning. I don't know that cutting the barrel shorter than 16" would give you enough room to burn the powder that you'd need to kill a deer. I don't know that you wouldn't either, just something to think about.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Well I thought about purchasing a muzzleloading single shot handgun to play around and possibly deer hunt with. Then I thought about just hacking down a long gun muzzleloader. At close range, I think it should have pleanty of power to cleanly kill a deer. I'm not gonna do it if there is any question about legality.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Warning: Random observation that is no help to the OP...

Isn't it silly that we have to question many modifications to our firearms? It just irritates me that simple modifications (read: easily done whether legally or illegally) are restricted because big brother thinks they somehow make them much more deadly. *sigh...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Warning: Random observation that is no help to the OP...

Isn't it silly that we have to question many modifications to our firearms? It just irritates me that simple modifications (read: easily done whether legally or illegally) are restricted because big brother thinks they somehow make them much more deadly. *sigh...

Agree.

Even Ms Hook agrees (paraphrased).......says we should be able to have silencers and machineguns without stamps or registry, figures if we are legal to own a gun we should be allowed any gun (after all, the badguys do whatever the hell they want).

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    FWIW, I have seen BP Howdah pistols for sale at Cabela's. They might be rifled though.

See if you can buy a blunderbuss. I think they're under 16 inches. :dunno:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    B/P pistols usually use a finer powder, FFFF for example. So if you cut it down to pistol length you may want to research loads to get the performance you want.

Definitely this. Blackpowder burns differently than smokeless. If you just hack down the barrel of a muzzle loader rifle and then shoot it with a full rifle charge of FFG, I imagine you'll be shooting out a lot of burning powder, along with the ball.

If you want to do this, you might want to look at the equivalent loads recommended for the larger .50 caliber pistols in FFFG.

For example, a quick search told me that the CVA Hawken .50 cal pistol takes a load of about 40gr FFFG, whereas the .50 cal rifle takes 80gr of FFG.

Though really, I'd just look at buying one of the Howdah pistols or Dragoon pistols depending on what you are looking for (historic military type weapon or just a nice SBR/SBS that you can legally own without the tax stamp nonsense).
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=5876

Top Bottom