• WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    March 16th, 2010

EFF: The IRS and FBI are looking for you on Facebook

Posted by Doug Hanchard @ March 16, 2010 @ 10:07 AM

EFF: The IRS and FBI are looking for you on Facebook | ZDNet Government | ZDNet.com
    eff-logo.jpg

The Electronic Freedom Foundation has obtained documents through a Freedom of Information Act request that describe how the FBI and IRS use social media websites to investigate persons of interest. The EFF team has learned that several U.S. federal agencies have implemented training courses on how to create fake profiles and search for information using the websites while keeping their real identity secret. The EFF press release suggests that the agencies are taking extensive precautions in using these techniques; The IRS should be commended for its detailed training that clearly prohibits employees from using deception or fake social networking accounts to obtain information. Its policies generally limit employees to using publicly available information.

The good example set by the IRS is in stark contrast to the U.S. Marshalls and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Neither organization has any documents detailing allowable conduct on social networking sites in response to EFF’s request suggesting they do not have any written policies or restrictions upon the use of these websites.
    The EFF team continues to collect more documents and information on how the Agencies infiltrating social media websites.

Is the above any reason for concern?

History has shown when agencies don't have to abide by, don't have, or disregard guidelines there is abuse of power.

Is the above NEW, NO.
    Does it affect ONLY Facebook users, NO.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Some of this may stem from the UK'er that was on the run for several months and taunted police via Facebook to try and find his location.

No doubt at all here that they use social media to try to find/monitor individuals.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Of course I'm being silly, but isn't creating false accounts a violation of terms/possibly illegal means of investigating?

I don't belong to any social netwerk, but I don't doubt that prying eyes are just about everywhere.

If they want you, they'll get you.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    ATF changes their rules on the fly, sometimes making up rules that contradict their previous rules. So to think they abide by rules on social websites is like expecting them to overlook the full auto with silencer that you bragged about on Youtube and then bragging that it was built last year.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Known this for years - and suspected it probably even before they started doing it.

Oh, and don't leave out the NSA. They have the most toys and the most fun, being the guys who listen to your phone calls.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    im sure there are probably a few atf agents on here

Possibly.

Seems like some of the more forward new members asking things like
    the following for example purposes only:
    "how can I make a semi-auto AK fire full auto?"

Waiting for some tool to answer them and incriminate themselves. :noway:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    ..."how can I make a semi-auto AK fire full auto?"...

Yeah, that one is easy.

Google the question and come up with dozens of websites that will tell one how........just like any other answer to any question anyone has.

The only difference is that somehow, the websites are protected under 1A. I would guess that individuals don't seem to have that luxury in the eyes of the arresting agent/officer or warrant issuing judge.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm on facebook. I only add those that I know, so it could happen but not that likely. Otherwise my info is private. On the other hand there are lots of people that add anyone and everyone because it makes them feel special inside if they have 700 friends.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Posting on the interwebs is the equivalent of driving around with your cell phone attached to a PA on the roof of your car...

be careful what you post -- always.

Top Bottom