• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Heading to Bloomington next weekend and have been looking on the webs at some places to eat and drink there. I'm on an Irish beer kick lately, and saw an ad for the Irish Lion pub. Is the place good? How's beer selection there? Is it worth going there for dinner and drinks, or should I hit Upland or one of the other beer places in town?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I haven't been there in a while, but it was pretty good every time that I have been. Besides, after a couple of yards of Guinness, who cares if the food is good.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Hard to go wrong with a place to eat in Bloomington. The Irish Lion would not have been here all these years if they did not provide good food/service. Personally, pickled herring with soda bread and a pint is a good after work start to the evening. I have had the fish and chips, the coddle, the shepherds pie.....hmmm might be time to visit again, it's been awhile.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you're going down for a long enough time, there's no reason you can't hit the pub and Upland. Upland will have them beat all to heck on the varieties and quality of beers. Get a Champagne Velvet if you go. That's a really good beer and they've got their seasonal offerings up now, too. They also have a good food menu. Hard to go wrong with a trip to Upland. Don't know if they currently have a stout on tap, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Brew Listing ? Upland

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Food at the lion is excellent, beer selection, good, Scotch, Whiskey, Whisky, and Bourbon selection is second to none in this area!

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    The Irish Lion is good and they have an ok beer list. I would suggest hitting the Lion and then one of the other places around the square. Function brewery is about a block away. Tap is a half block away and they have a hugh beer selection.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I think the Upland kinda sold out. Food got better and the beer got worse. YMMV.

Of course, I don't drink as many meals at 36 as I did at 21 so I'm willing to believe in sample skew. Still, their second batch of porter was marvelous and every batch since has seemed like a gradual drift to the center. So it goes.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I haven't been there in nearly twenty years, but yes, the food is good, and the beer is even better.
    If you want to live dangerously, go ahead and get it in a half yard, or get it in a full yard if you want to be out on a limb.
    Just be sure to have a designated driver first!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We'll only be in town for a few hours, just time to eat and drink and head to the hotel, we're running a 10k the next day. It's become a tradition to indulge a little the night before a run!

sounds like dinner is a definite at the Lion, and maybe Upland for a night cap or two.

dcr465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Crazy Horse next door use to have a huge beer selection. But I haven't been there this century.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Been there once this past spring for lunch. Food was really good (leg of lamb with roasted potatoes). If I ever make it down there again, I'd definitely go back.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Update: We went to Irish lion last night, loved the place! I had a black and tan, wife had some sort of cocktail that she said was really good, we split a shepherds pie and an order of puff balls, loved those, too. The best thing we had there was a big slice of Irish cream cake, holy crap that was good! We headed over to the Tap after that, and got two flights to try, we were both really impressed with the Taps brews, and the bartender there was very accommodating in explaining to my wife what styles of beer she was drinking, we'll definitely go back there again!

We ended the night sitting in the bar at Cheddars, (it was right across the road for our hotel) eating nachos and drinking Sam Adams Octoberfest.

We had a great time in Bloomington, and saw quite a few other restaurants and bars around the square that we'd like to try sometime.

Top Bottom