• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My mother-in-law has an ipad and no laptop or desktop computer. It's the 16gb model and she's running out of room. She's wanting to keep the 2400 pictures she has on there in case she ever wants to look through them or have prints made in the future.

I can back up her ipad on my desk top and put them on flash drives or SD cards and she can take them to the store to have prints made but this won't allow her to view them remotely in case she ever decides to look at them on her ipad. She has the camera adapter that she can put an SD card in but the ipad will only allow her to import and not view.

I found this Seagate Goflex Satellite drive and think it might be the ticket.
    Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate
    From my understanding, this will automatically back up her ipad and then she will be able to delete the pictures on her ipad and then use the Seagate app to view the pictures now stored on the drive. Is there something I'm missing here? Amazon has 500gb ones for around $120 and I know that's more than she'll want to spend but it's far cheaper in the long run of buying multiple flash drives and this will give her much more utility in being able to view pictures from her ipad.

I know she can use icloud but at 5gb, that's only a short term solution.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I use photostream at home on our IOS stuff but I think it's limited to 5gb for free and haven't looked into what it costs to buy extra storage space. Don't know if it's a 1 time fee, yearly, etc.

Upon further reading, I don't think the above drive I linked will automatically back up from an ipad but it does allow viewing from the drive to the ipad. If I do the flash drive thing, I would still have to back up her ipad on my itunes anyway to transfer to the flash drive. Looks like I'd have to do the same with the drive. Still like the idea of the drive better than flash drives.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I use photostream at home on our IOS stuff but I think it's limited to 5gb for free and haven't looked into what it costs to buy extra storage space. Don't know if it's a 1 time fee, yearly, etc.

Upon further reading, I don't think the above drive I linked will automatically back up from an ipad but it does allow viewing from the drive to the ipad. If I do the flash drive thing, I would still have to back up her ipad on my itunes anyway to transfer to the flash drive. Looks like I'd have to do the same with the drive. Still like the idea of the drive better than flash drives.
    5GB is a **** ton of pictures.

An iPhone 4s takes ~2.2 mb pictures. 5GB holds 2327 of those.

You can upgrade to 10GB for $20 per year. There is no simpler/more user friendly way to backup iOS photos.

The wife and I take a lot of pictures and get by fine with all 3 devices on a 10GB upgrade plan.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    You may want to refer to the Photo Stream FAQ before you dive in, here at this link --> Photo Stream FAQ. Photo Stream only stores the last 1,000 photos synced with it, and only keeps them for 30 days, then they are removed. You could always use a cloud service to upload them to. I wouldn't recommend DropBox for personal reasons, but Microsoft's OneDrive has an iOS app that can upload those pictures, and offers 7 GB of storage free when you sign up, and no nagging for more. If I was in your spot, it's what I'd do.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You may want to refer to the Photo Stream FAQ before you dive in, here at this link

Here:

Because your Mac and PC have more storage than your iOS devices, you can choose to have all of your My Photo Stream photos automatically downloaded. In iPhoto or Aperture preferences on your Mac, select Photos (or Photo Stream) > My Photo Stream > Automatic Import. All of your photo stream photos will be imported into your Events, Projects, Photos, Faces, and Places folders in iPhoto or Aperture. On your PC with My Photo Stream enabled in the Control Panel, all of your photos will be imported into C:\\Users\<user name>\Pictures\iCloud Photos\My Photo Stream. For iCloud Control Panel 2.1 to 2.1.3 users, the path is C:\\Users\<user name>\Pictures\Photo Stream\My Photo Stream.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about

But in the OP he said...

My mother-in-law has an ipad and no laptop or desktop computer.

So the only way to manage those over another computer with Photo Stream is to use something like the iCloud Control Panel in Windows to add that folder in AND share an Apple ID. Sharing one Apple ID for multiple people is almost always bad juju. So if she uploads them to Photo Stream, and then forgets about them for two months, they vanish. I deal with this day in and day out and Photo Stream isn't the right solution here.

Top Bottom