• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm pleased to announce that I'm now carrying the Ultimate Equipment M1911 knives.

The M1911 Knives by Ultimate Equipment captures the spirit of the classic firearm: The Model 1911. By using military standard grips and grip screws, the knives deliver an authentic touch and feel of the legendary M1911 pistol in your hands.

Crafted in small quantities only, these are the only knives in the world that allows you to personalize your blade by simply changing grips. As long as standard 1911 grips are used (or Officer's grips for the M1911 Compact Folders), your blade becomes your own unique one, different from any other's. Making a matching gun-and-knife set is also extremely easy.

M19112.jpg

M19113.jpg

M19115.jpg

M19116.jpg

M19114.jpg

Specs:
    Ultimate Equipment has selected 2 types of premium blade steels to make the M1911 Knives, 440C & S30V.

CPM S30V is tougher than 440C and D2, and should be hardened to HRC 58-61 ideally. When hardened more, the steel can become brittle and prone to chipping. The steel is also more wear resistant than D2, 440C or 154CM. The corrosion resistance of S30V is equal to or better than 440C, which is quite an achievement given that CPM S30V performs much like a high speed tool steel. The Particle Metallurgy process also creates a very refined grain micro structure with very evenly dispersed Vanadium Carbides allowing the steel to take a very fine consistent edge. CPM S30V is a martensitic stainless steel designed to offer the best combination of toughness, wear resistance and corrosion resistance. Its chemistry has been specially balanced to promote the formation of vanadium carbides which are harder and more effective than chromium carbides in providing wear resistance. CPM S30V offers substantial improvement in toughness over other high hardness steels such as 440C and D2, and its corrosion resistance is equal to or better than 440C in various environments. The CPM process produces very homogeneous, high quality steel characterized by superior dimensional stability, grind ability, and toughness compared to steels produced by conventional processes.

440C is a tough and relatively corrosion resistant martensitic stainless steel that maintains a good edge. For many years, 440C was the benchmark cutlery steel, and even today, represents an excellent choice for knife making that would fit most people's requirements. Its characteristics in general however do make it inferior to CPM S30V in most ways including corrosion resistance, wear resistance, harden ability and edge holding. The micro structure of 440C is not as fine and uniform as CPM S30V, which results it the steel not taking as fine an edge, and can cause some chipping as well. It is still used by many knife makers because it is easier to work with than CPM S30V or any of the other "super steels", and as some claim, can perform even better with a Cryo or Dry Ice Quench. 440C can be hardened to about HRC 60 in use.

-Hammerhead™ Lock (patent pending)
    Ultimate Equipment's innovative Hammerhead Lock™ is a perfect example of the K.I.S.S. principle.This truly ambidextrous design enables any user to open and close the knife with one hand - actually with only 2 fingers. When opening the knife, the blade snaps into locking position with authority. The fun part is when you are unlocking the knife and closing it - the only thing you need to do is to push the locking stud up with your thumb, and at the same time press the blade down with your index finger, without placing any of your fingers in the path of the closing blade. Some other designs have to use omega springs to make this happen. Tiny springs will break sooner or later, and it is painful to replace them. Fortunately, the Hammerhead Lock does not use any tiny springs. Similar to a traditional lock-back, it gets the locking force from the heavy duty bar spring at the back, which will never break or wear out. As a result, the Hammerhead is extremely durable, and also easy to clean due to its simplicity and fewer number of parts. When dirt and mud gets in the knife, just brush or blow them off, and keep on cutting.

-REMOVING & INSTALLING 1911 GRIPS:
    Removing the grips from the knife is as simple as removing the grips from your 1911 pistol. Use the enclosed hex key to lift the grip screws, and then the grips can be removed. All grip panels on the M1911 knives are standard sized pistol grips, and can be installed on any standard 1911 pistols. And any standard 1911 grips can be installed on the knife, too. This allows you to customize your knife or gun, or even making a matching gun-and-knife set!

Prices:
    Standard M1911 w/ 440C Black or Satin Finish-$95.00
    Standard M1911 w/ S30V Black or Satin Finish-$135.00
    Compact M1911 w/ 440C Black or Satin Finish-$90.00
    Compact M1911 w/ S30V Black or Satin Finish-$130.00
    Fixed Blade M1911 w/ 440C-Not available at this time
    Fixed Blade M1911 w/ S30V-Not available at this time

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So who's gonna be the first person to install a set from Crimson Trace? :D

Looks cool Brad!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Those are darn nice. What's the price range and availability? Should I expect to see them at the next 1500? Are those folders spring-assist?

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Those are darn nice. What's the price range and availability? Should I expect to see them at the next 1500? Are those folders spring-assist?

These are not spring assisted knives. I will have them at the Indy 1500. Also, I will be posting the prices here in this thread very soon.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They are certainly eye catching. WHen I was talking to Brad on Saturday, they just sort of leap out at you.

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Just a Note: These knives are being built by hand one knife at a time by one person (the owner of Ultimate Equipment). These are not mass produced like a lot of other knives/companies. The availability is very limited at best. The demand for these knives has really taken off in the last few months and if you go to Ultimate Equipment's website you will find that almost all models are "sold out" at this time. Because I'm the exclusive Indiana dealer for Ultimate Equipment, I will be receiving 10 more models here in the next week. Currently I only have 6 in stock.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I just got my M-1911 today, and I'm very pleased with it. It came nicely packaged with an Allen wrench to remove the grips, and/or install the pocket clip. The knife is well made, and I found no tooling marks of any kind on the inside. The fit of the grips is better than that of some 1911 handguns. They easily lift off, yet there is no movement even with the retaining screws out. Operation is simple, and positive, and the bar spring allows no movement of the blade until you cause it to move. Also included is a denier nylon belt sheath that fits snugly. The sheath has two elastic bands on the back side for vertical mounting, as well as a 4" strap that can be secured with velcro.

The edge is very sharp, but I did not try to shave with it. .... and I didn't cut myself with it either.

I like well-made guns and knives.... this is a well-made knife..... and the VBOB ain't too shabby either....

Simply my opinion

The M-1911 knife with G-10 grips, and my VBOB with G-10 grips...

Valor%201911%20knife.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom