• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    What is everyone's opinion of serrated blades on knifes used for self defense? Is it more intimidating to a BG?

Since I carry a knife which is strictly for self defense, I don't care that serrations are utterly useless for most other tasks.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    my opinion is and always will be that a sharp plain edge is the best for everything, and I hear people tell me, well I cut a crap ton of rope and I need the serrated blade or whatever. I can cut anything and anyone just as good and always better IMO with a plain edge rather than serrated. do you carry a spyderco civilian by chance?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I lean towards the sharp plain edge blades as well. The last thing I want in a SD scenario is the blade catching on something.....

As for intimidation factor. I'd bet if you polled 100 people who were mugged at knife point not one could tell you more than... He had a big knife... It looked sharp...

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I thought I'd be happy with just a pain edge too until my I bought my latest knife, which is a combo and I can certainly say that there are applications for each.
    While a plain edge blade will do anything I need, the serrated portion of the blade definitely cuts through certain materials much faster. The primary reason for me to carry is SD, but it really does come in handy for many other uses.
    If I was getting cut by a knife as a BG, I'd choose the plain edge, as the serrated edge would cause more tissue damage...IMHO

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What is everyone's opinion of serrated blades on knifes used for self defense? Is it more intimidating to a BG?

Since I carry a knife which is strictly for self defense, I don't care that serrations are utterly useless for most other tasks.

I don't know about intimidating the BG but it would probably scare the beejesus out of the GBM (Ginger Bread Man) as the only thing I know of that serrated blades make sense is on a bread knife.

I just can't wrap my mind around the concept that you carry a knife for self defense and you don't care if half the blade or more is in your words useless and your biggest concern is intimidation. I think you better be looking for a knife made of Hershey bar.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    basically serrated edges were created for people who don't know how to sharpen/take of their knives under the guise that they stay sharper longer and don't need sharpening. this is obviously false and sharpening is required and harder to do on serrated edges. take a look at ginsu knives and anything else like that they are all serrated and many claim to not need sharpening. in SD serrated can create a nasty wound but are extremely prone to getting caught on clothing, watches, etc. a sharp plain edge( and every edge SHOULD be sharp) does not have that shortcoming and can do just as much damage usually going deeper into tissue. mike janich had a great article in tactical knife magazine awhile ago about this exact subject and in a diplomatic manner said plain edges were better.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think my wife would save you from that attacker.:D

Then I'll just attack HER!

swiss-chocolate-knife-02.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Even if the serrated edge appeared more devastating, you can't afford the compromise in a SD knife. Your blade getting hung up in the BGs fly zipper, when it should be disabling an arm on the way to his neck, could be the difference in life and death to you.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home

If you're using your SD properly the BG isn't going to see it coming and won't have a chance to analyze it's brand, blade style or how much you paid for it. I would also venture to guess that if you are thinking about brandishing a knife serrated or not before a fight to try and intimidate someone you might have better luck just running before you get your a$$ kicked or shot ... :dunno:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Keep them in the kitchen

Keep serrated edges in the kitchen. If you have to cut a bunch of stuff at work then carry two knives, one for SD and the other for cutting up stuff at work.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you're using your SD properly the BG isn't going to see it coming and won't have a chance to analyze it's brand, blade style or how much you paid for it. I would also venture to guess that if you are thinking about brandishing a knife serrated or not before a fight to try and intimidate someone you might have better luck just running before you get your a$$ kicked or shot ... :dunno:

:yesway: well said!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Regardless what you carry, the most important thing is that you keep it sharp. In general, I agree that I would rather have a plain edge opposed to a serrated in a self defense situation. However, I own and carry my Spyderco Civilian a lot, and feel really comfortable with it in hand. The thing you have to keep in mind with a blade of that style is it is not designed to stab, rather slash.

Top Bottom