• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I went to the gunshow in Seymour today. As usual it was packed. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, but always hoping to find a good deal.

I've been planning to get an M1 Garand for a while, and came across a guy selling a couple. Both were Springfield recievers, and had low S/N's (one was 59x,xxx, he other 666xx). So, both would be WWII era based on Springfield production.

One gun was in very nice shape and had been restored with matching parkerizing and very nice wood. Price tag was $850. The other was in a brand new reproduction stock, but the metal was very worn, almost to white. The barrel was a replacement and was the only part to show good amounts of park. It was $950, scratched out to $850.

I took some mental notes, and came home to do a bit of research. I confirmed the 59xxxx was probably a 1942 produced receiver, and the 666xx a '41. I took some notes of other things to look for, and decided to go back up to the show and check a few more things out.

I got there, and the gun that was previously on the table for $850 (the nicer one) was now on the rack and had been marked back up to $950. My interest went down a little bit, but I thought I'd still take a look and make a much lower cash offer to see if he'd take it.

There was another gentleman in front of me, who picked it up, looked it over, and then put it back on the rack. I picked it up, started looking at it, and asked the guy who just set it back in the rack what he thought. We talked a little bit back and forth about the good condition, that the barrel was a springfield and matched the reciever (it was a replacement though), and he said "you know what, I think I want that gun."

I was a little dumbfounded, since I was still holding the gun, but I noticed the seller standing there and he told the guy he would make him a good deal on it. I think they had been talking about it before I came up, because he said something to the point of "I've thought about it a bit more and here's what I can do."

I decided to set the gun down on the table and let them talk a bit. It was a partial trade, so I decided I wouldn't make an already awkward situation more awkward by standing in on the deal and then trying to offer my cash. Afterall, I didn't have my heart set on it. I thought if nothing else I'd get a feel for if my cash price was anywhere withing what he'd take.

So, it is a long enough story already, but the other guy got the gun + $$ his way for his trade. So, it wasn't meant to be I guess, but it still feels wierd right now the way things went down.

1) Price increased by $100 from a few hours before
    2) Guy decides he wants it while I'm holding it
    3) Seller makes the guy a deal while I'm still holding the gun

Anyone had anything similar happen?

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Just get one from CMP liked we talked about. Gotta love the type of some of the people at gun shows, i believe they are the same types shopping at Walmart.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just get one from CMP liked we talked about. Gotta love the type of some of the people at gun shows, i believe they are the same types shopping at Walmart.

Yeah, that is the plan. I'm not really too disappointed that I didn't get this particular one, although it was nice. I'm just still a little dumfounded as to how it went down.

Like others said, wierd and rude things do happen at gunshows, and is just par for the course.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I second the CMP rifles if they still have the old hand picked one in stock from some foreign country, I saw the belgium ones a few years ago and they were less that 800 and very nice. I saw a few recent ones at 650 and they were much less than nice.

Last edited:

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I know that was an awkward feeling, but you have to realize those sellers see it all. They have a very short rule book and the 1st rule is: Money talks and bull**** walks. Not saying you were BSing, but they are going to listen to anyone with money (whether or not they are holding the gun).

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Yeah I'd say pretty rude. I understand the thought of money talks and bs walks, but really if you are a seller you would think that they would say "if that person doesn't buy it we will work out a deal." Especially if that seller doesn't want a bad reputation. If you weren't holding the rifle I would say first to have in hand would have first option.:twocents:

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    CMP! CMP! Excellent option. I was fortunate to get my M-1 Garand at a discount offered for a brief time by CMP for WWII veterans. Since my father had served in the navy during the war, he ordered the gun, and gave it to me. That only makes the gun that much more special, especially since Dad passed away last October after a grueling 5 years after a stroke. My son knows that some day it will be his.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Having rented tables at the Kankakee gun show for about 10 years until 2002 I can't tell you how many people will cut a deal with you and then say "I will be back"...and then they never come back. We called them be-backs.
    It's the same when you place an ad in the classifieds on here. I have even had I'll take it...and the deal never happens. The seller probably thought you were just window shopping.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I used to let goofy crap like that **** me off when I was a young hot head.
    Now that I am a much older and wiser hot head (:rolleyes:), I like to tell myself, "all things happen for a reason" and then just move on.

Otherwise, my wife will just tell me I am a dufus for getting angry over nothing, and NOBODY wants or needs to hear that.

Weird deal, but maybe you came out better in the long run.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I think this did happen for a reason. If that guy hadn't have bought it, I might be sitting here talking about the new to me M1 that turned out to be a complete POS.

And to be clear, I'm not upset about it...just caught by surprise is all. My plan has been to head to the CMP to pick one out of their stock, but I was interested in what was here local from a convenience standpoint.

Who knows, perhaps my questions about the gun to the eventual buyer, and comments about the research that I'd done on it helped convince him that he really needed to have that particular M1. So maybe I should be entilted to some commission, right? :D

I don't blame the seller a bit, as I was going to offer $750 tops (and hadn't yet made any indications of an offer the first time I was through). He has to take what he can get if he is in a position where he really wants and needs to sell the gun.

I do know that in the future if there is a gun that I really do want, I'm gonna make sure I don't let it get bought out from under me like this one did.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Simple, the dealer had a lot of early interest and "be backs" on that gun so he raised the price, I have seen that several times! Not good for building repeat business.

mattinindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    don't feel bad for letting it go. as someone mentioned above, many more out there. if interested, i have a few garands and would be willing to let one go to you. it is a cmp service grade h and r 1955, nice original park w/ light wear only around the high spots. the stock it came with from cmp was a little rough so i bought a beautiful original/correct h and r stock from the "collector source". cmp is still a good deal but much of it is picked over and most of the wood is rough.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I would agree, drive to Alabama and pick it out, you can talk to the folks there, who are probably some of the most knowledgeable folks around.
    Get there when they open, and take time to check out the racks.

Top Bottom