• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Went to Roush this morning. Got there as they opened at 9:00 and found it was Fred's day to work. I signed in along with 3 other shooters, one of which had never been there before. The new shooter to the range stayed in the range house to get instructions from Fred.

No more than a 1/2 hour passed, when we were in the middle of being live on the line, another shooter and his son walked toward a empty station just 3 stalls down from where I was and continued beyond to hang his target. Luckily, we all saw him and ceased fire immediately. He realized quickly what he had done and returned, but Fred had spotted him and started to educate him using pretty rough language. LOL Now, the original newbie shooter was down on the extreme rifle end and no more than a couple of moments had passed and something possessed him to jog down to check his target in the middle of still being " live ". Well, not only were we " live " but this time someone was actually shooting on the opposite side where I'm at as this occured. Again, Fred spotted him and after ceasing fire immediately, ran down and met the guy when he returned. I don't know what was said, but the guy never fired another round and left immediately.
    If anyone went to Roush today and found Fred to have aged a few years, this would be the reason why. He claimed he never saw anything like this before, and it was TWICE in under 10 minutes. Other than that, it was a beautiful day to get in some trigger time.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Wow, the one guy just had some rather serious surgery a short while back but both of the (2) that have been there when I am there are top notch guys. Yeah they get pissed at stupidity as much as anyone, heck they have even yelled at me a time or two.

I bet they were hot, geez what were these people thinking?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, there are 2 more that work there. Fred and Bob have opposite personalities, but both are great guys. Even though things like this happen, overall they do a pretty good job running things. Too bad they don't have enough funding to have more than one working at a time. About noon today, it was packed and IMHO, it's about too much for 1 guy to watch the shooters and also check in new shooters signing in. You could tell that a high percentage of the shooters there were first timers to the range ! Bob is a good guy to say " hi " to though and let him know you are a reloader. He has helped me find many things several times at great prices.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, the one guy just had some rather serious surgery a short while back but both of the (2) that have been there when I am there are top notch guys. Yeah they get pissed at stupidity as much as anyone, heck they have even yelled at me a time or two.

I bet they were hot, geez what were these people thinking?

It was Fred that had the hip replacement. And he has been a bit cranky since. LOL These two felt his full wrath today tho. FWIW, he is a ex drill instuctor too ! :D The problem was even tho the 2 incidents were by newbies, they still were NOT thinking. Even a newbie should of known better.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    fred is something else. he was a drill sergeant, as he was in the army, and the marines are the only ones who have drill instructors. so every time i go in with my buddy alan, the two of them give me crap for being a dumb jarhead. but if i couldn't take a joke i would have gone gomer pyle (a la full metal jacket) some time ago.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :n00b: WTF! That is crazy! I am there at least every other weekend and I have seen some people do some dumb stuff, but nothing like that. Glad nobody was hurt.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    fred is something else. he was a drill sergeant, as he was in the army, and the marines are the only ones who have drill instructors. so every time i go in with my buddy alan, the two of them give me crap for being a dumb jarhead. but if i couldn't take a joke i would have gone gomer pyle (a la full metal jacket) some time ago.

LOL... He used to give me all kinds of heck too for that. Then finally after always hearing how good he is with his Kimber, I started giving him heck right back by pointing out I never in 3 years saw him with his Kimber. Since then, I have heard no more jarhead comments. :D

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :n00b: WTF! That is crazy! I am there at least every other weekend and I have seen some people do some dumb stuff, but nothing like that. Glad nobody was hurt.

I agree totally ! I have went there countless times since they built the new range, and never saw anything remotely close to it. And the crazy part is twice in one firing session and also it was not busy at the time either.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Yes, there are 2 more that work there. Fred and Bob have opposite personalities, but both are great guys. Even though things like this happen, overall they do a pretty good job running things. Too bad they don't have enough funding to have more than one working at a time. About noon today, it was packed and IMHO, it's about too much for 1 guy to watch the shooters and also check in new shooters signing in. You could tell that a high percentage of the shooters there were first timers to the range ! Bob is a good guy to say " hi " to though and let him know you are a reloader. He has helped me find many things several times at great prices.

This is a problem at Wilbur Wright. When the guys that ran WW for a long time(Don and Fred, one at a time) didn't have ANY help when 3 ranges are full, with people waiting for a spot.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Fred was giving me crap (in fun of couse) about my High Point 995, well was shooting pretty darn good with it or so I thought. When everyone else was gone I handed it to him and gave him a clip. Even though he didnt like the rifle, all 10 of his shots could have fit in a about the size of a silver dollar at 25 yards. He of course was about 3 inches high and right of the bullseye but he hit the same spot everytime. He then told me it shoots high and right and to adjust my sights accordinly. I listened.

He can shoot, dont ever doubt him on it...

I like him.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is a problem at Wilbur Wright. When the guys that ran WW for a long time(Don and Fred, one at a time) didn't have ANY help when 3 ranges are full, with people waiting for a spot.

A issue I watch for when they get that busy is the " blind spots " that can be created there when people move their target stands back from 7 yds to 25 on the handgun side. If the guy running it is inside checking new shooters in, there are possibilites that he can't see someone still out at their target before he gives the command to start shooting again.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I was there on saturday, Fred was working. Had one guy start to head forward with a target right after Fred had called one minute to cease fire. Fred was on him before he got more than two steps past the line. Sounds like it was a hell of a weekend for Fred. This is one of the reasons I like going to Roush Lake range, they keep very tight control over everything. Keeps everyone safe, even the dumbasses.

Top Bottom