• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So I was at Taco Bell for lunch today in Noblesville. An older lady came in with a Walgreen shopping cart which had personal items in it, not stuff she had just purchased. She went over and sat at a table with her shopping cart. I'm still playing on my phone and keeping an eye on her. She reminded me of a homeless person but "a little" better kept.

She gets up and comes over to my table and asks if I could take her to 116th street. She said she had tried to call her friend to come and get her but her friend didn't answer. She had just come from the hospital where she was there to have some stuff done on her legs. UGH! Now I'm looking at her and she is reminding me of my mother in her later years. My mom had Alzheimer's and when it first started, she didn't care about her appearance. But this lady seemed to know where she was, etc. She had clothes on that had some holes in them. I asked her if the shopping cart was going and she said no. So I told her I'd take her. I then also bought her a couple of tacos to take with her.

So we head on down toward 116th street on Allisonville. I'm not talking to her because I really didn't want to know about her nor did I want to give out any personal information to her. I didn't ask her her name, nor did I offer mine. But once we get down to 116h street, I ask her which direction are we going and where am I taking her. Well, she said I think we turn left but I'm not sure. I need to go to Commercial Drive. Well, I don't know Fisher's streets. So we go a little further east on 116th and then I start probing to find out where I need to take her. I figured I was taking her home. She said she needed to go where McDonalds and Steak and Shake are. Oh, well, I know where those are.

Oh, somewhere between Allisonville and McDonalds I did tell her she could use my phone to call her friend but she said she wanted to wait til she got to McDonalds. Alright.. so now it seems a little more fishy and I am actually thinking she seems like she may be going somewhere she isn't suppose to be.

We get to McDonalds and there's a shopping cart from Target there. She said it was hers and that it was nice of them to have left it there. Hmmmm.. I go get the shopping cart and put all of her stuff back in it and then she said that maybe she should go to Target or over to Steak&Shake before she calls her friend. OK, now I really don't know what to do with this woman. She THEN asks if I had a business card and if I could give her bus fair. So I asked her, "Are you sure you have someone that will be here to pick you up? " She said she did but I really wasn't convinced and I was concerned for her. Now I was very sure she wouldn't be getting ANY personal information from me because now I can just picture her calling and asking for things.

Well, I leave her but I am pretty sure that as I'm backing out, she's trying to flag me down. I do not stop. Instead, I go over to the Target parking lot and call the Fishers Police Department. Of course, I couldn't give them an accurate description of her other than she's old and heavy set with a shopping cart in McDonalds. (I'd be EXTREMELY terrible if I had to describe anyone to a sketch artist). I don't think they had any problem finding her.

I called the Police Department and they sent out a couple of cars to check her out. I then drove over to Steak and Shake and parked there until they arrived. I really wanted to make sure she was ok. They let her go and I got out and asked if she was ok. I gave them some more information about her telling me she had just come from the hospital so they went over to check on her again just to make sure she wasn't a runner. She told them she was on her way out of state (can't remember now which state he told me).

It was very interesting and I really wasn't sure if I should call the cops or not. She wasn't a danger to people but I wasn't sure about to herself. I called a couple of people to try and help me determine if I should call or not but no one answered.

I really wish you could make these calls anonymously instead of having to give them your name and phone number.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I did this once, the day after I graduated high school. Bottom line, I do not have my high school class ring anymore.

It's dangerous for children to talk to strangers and for adults to allow strangers in their house or car.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    from one woman to another... what were you thinking?!?!?

I understand the need to be helpful, the tug on the heart strings etc. You set yourself up for something terrible to happen! Thankfully it did not.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Easy there folks. Don't be too quick to judge.

...UGH! Now I'm looking at her and she is reminding me of my mother in her later years. My mom had Alzheimer's...

My mom passed away ten years ago. Yesterday was Mother's day. I can totally relate.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    :scratch:

I worked outside in downtown Indy for many years. I have heard every story in the book and have had people want everything from money to food to a ride. Even in good parts of town I am getting gas and hear some sob story about how they have run out of gas.

I knew every story was a lie, so and so would say their wife and kids are around the corner in their car and they ran out of gas but I knew for a fact that they were not there, one guy said he was a student and had a back pack with all his books to prove it, he did not like it when I told him that chances are it was stolen.

You are driving her (does not matter that you are a woman for this) and next thing you know she pulls a knife or a gun, you have a gun but can't get to it, she then tells you to drive to such and such or she will kill you, you get there and her friends are waiting for you.... chances are by now she oar them have taken your gun........ things can only go down hill when you give someone a ride.

I never give anyone that I don't know money, never give anyone I don't know a ride, period.

Id be glad I was not "assaulted" or dead or robbed to be honest.

I have seen some people that were homless and looked harmeless but you would be suprised how many or them really are homless or what happens when they get deperate.

Honestly the best thing to do is to call the cops and tell them a lady who did not look so good came up to you asking for a ride and that the might want to send someone out to check her out. This happend all the time downtown and the cops know all the local homeless........ half the time they are harmless and have mental issues..... the other half...........

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Reps for trying... I do think it's important to look out for Number One, for the reasons stated, but if you think you had that covered, doing what you can to help people out is always rep-worthy.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    A guy that worked at a gas station I used to deliver to got robbed that way. He said a cute girl came up to him asked him to take her down the road. He said she could use his phone she said that the people she was seeing didn't have a phone. Its in a poor side of town so he didn't think twice. He took her and when they got to the house, she pulled a gun. Got his wallet phone and watch.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I agree with Tactical Dave. Your heart was in the right place and thankfully it ended safely for you. I think now you know what to do in the future. Too many bad people out there it does make it hard to trust and be helpfull. Kudos to you and I sure am glad you are alive and well.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Wow. I certainly didn't expect this from the majority of you. I did the right thing. I tried to help an old lady out and if I were in the same situation again, I'd try and help her out then too. There was no time at all I felt in danger at any point. I watched her from the time she entered the restaurant until she came over.

I was just pointing out my interesting encounter today. A simple, I probably wouldn't have done it that way would have been sufficient.

You know that video of where someone was hurt on the street and people were just walking by and not a single person stopped to help. How many of you would have been the person to not help? The situation may not have been as drastic as the video below but obviously the woman I helped needed it. Hopefully she got the ultimate help she needed.

YouTube - CAR ACCIEDENT YET NO ONE HELPS

You guys may have mentioned a cute girl or census workers or whatever... That wasn't the case. Yes, I suppose something could have happened. Something can happen at any time. Did I put myself at risk? I do not believe so. You may disagree with me all you want.

Those of you that have repped me... Thanks.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    You did the right thing, I agree. It also put you in what could have been a tough situation. I am very glad it all worked out ok. Sorry I sounded harsh but being a woman, I know the heart sometimes let's us get into situations that may not be good for us.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    No doubt what you did was completely from the heart, and that is more than commendable, just remember no matter how soft your heart is, you MUST keep your situational awareness on full alert, sadly, even when trying to help others!

I probably would have done the same thing, or at least, I hope I would have.

Reps to you, for being a softie! ;)

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    You did the right thing by calling the police, I think I would have called them before I left taco bell myself!! they get paid to check people out, and make sure that they or you are not in any danger!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Kudos to you for helping her out. I've been in that situation before. Most people won't even stop on the side of the road anymore to see if you're ok, let alone give you a ride anywhere. You did the right thing. Sure, it could have went bad. But regardless, I think you did the right thing.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    +1 for offering a helping hand. I'm sure that you practiced situational awareness too. I don't see a problem with what you did; helping others in need is good for the soul. Well done.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I don't disagree with what you did. There aren't a lot of people that would have done that. I commend you for what you did. I was just letting people know a real life story of what could have happend. I'm glad all is well with you.

Top Bottom