• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Last month, we had a very large scale drill at our facility that I work out of. It involved actual calls to 911, fire and first aid coming out and my company's hazzard response team. 65+ people involved total. The drill was what to do if somebody hit a fuel tanker and gas was leaking with people trapped in the vehicle. Of course I was "volunteered" to be the driver.

It lasted about 2 hours. One of the Sheriffs that was on scene was in a county vehicle, standard brown uniform and just a sidearm. No cuffs, pepper spray etc.

I noticed he was carrying a XDm. I noticed the silver firing pin sticking out the back of the gun so it was at least cocked. But it was in the XD Gear holster that comes with the gun. No retention at all.

After the drill was over, I asked him if his sidearm was a personal one or issued by his department. He said it was department issued. I stated that they were the only dept. carrying XDms. He gave a brief explanation of the different backstrap sizes making it easier to fit the different size hands. I didn't think to ask own long they have had them.

I was curious as to why he didn't have all of his gear and a non-retention holster. He was the go to guy for hazardous responses in the county.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'm going to guess that being the hazardous material guy he's not required to carry all the regular duty gear, except for a sidearm, and may not be into firearms enough to purchase anything beyond what the county provides.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, actually, friction is one level of retention. And if the XDm holster is like the XD holster, that is adjustable.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Yep-
    6 chocolate devil's foods and a bearclaw with coffee and mine is secure for the rest of the day. :rockwoot:

If fact I'd probably have to throw up just to draw it. :(

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Well, actually, friction is one level of retention. And if the XDm holster is like the XD holster, that is adjustable.

Yep. I have one and adjust ithe appropriately. It's level 1 retention. I guess I assumed law enforcement used at least level 2, some type of mechanical retention.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I saw a davies county (Kentucky) deputy carrying a xds in a factory holster. I've always said im surprised that more departments don't carry the xd, or xdm, I think that if it were made here, a lot more would

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I saw a davies county (Kentucky) deputy carrying a xds in a factory holster. I've always said im surprised that more departments don't carry the xd, or xdm, I think that if it were made here, a lot more would

Not to hurt any XD fanboys but I have witnessed more XD failure on average than any other make at several pistol matches. Also the Sheriff of Clark county IL teaches at the IL academy and stated to a friend he has never seen an XD make it through any of his classes. I know I had an issue with an XD I borrowed from my Son in Law. It didn't even make it through a pistol match and the frame broke. And it was only fed factory ammo. Springfield fixed it but he moved onto a M&P and hasn't looked back.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    More departments don't want the XD platform because it's a single action gun.

That, and they take an almost perfect grip (to depress the grip safety) to get to fire - something that may not be possible if/when needing a gun to fire will save a life.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He may just be a reserve.... And probably from his attire, a rather poorly trained one.
    So, wait, you witnessed this event?

More departments don't want the XD platform because it's a single action gun.
    Single action? It's a striker fired handgun, same as the M&P's, Glock's, etc.
    That, and they take an almost perfect grip (to depress the grip safety) to get to fire - something that may not be possible if/when needing a gun to fire will save a life.
    If by "almost perfect grip" you mean wrapping your hand around the grip as any normal person would do, then yes. But true, you're right that a pinky-trigger upside down shot won't work. Nor would it fire if the gun was being wrested from your hand away from the palm.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Back when the XD came out IDPA allowed the XD in ESP due to the striker was "partially" cocked compared to the Glock which is not. Not sure how IDPA rules it now but single action is not an accurate description or IPSC/USPSA would not allow it in Production Class. What say you Rhino???

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Back when the XD came out IDPA allowed the XD in ESP due to the striker was "partially" cocked compared to the Glock which is not. Not sure how IDPA rules it now but single action is not an accurate description or IPSC/USPSA would not allow it in Production Class. What say you Rhino???
    :popcorn:

Top Bottom