• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Recently purchased this Ruger police service six 357. It is one of the smoothest double action only revolvers I have held, not shot it yet. It Looks to be older, seller had no information other than a family member that needed money several years ago. It says “Grandmaster” and “Clark” on the left side of the barrel in cursive and has a trigger stop integrated into the trigger guard. Along with a 4 position adjustable rear sight numbered 1-4.

I purchased this revolver thinking it was an older Clark Custom. Upon calling Clark Custom I spoke with salesman who advised all Clark Customs were engraved with the words “Clark Custom” somewhere on the barrel, this one only has Grandmaster and “Clark” in cursive engraved. He also advised I would have to call back tomorrow when the revolver gunsmith was in the office to confirm if it was a Clark Custom or not. He also advised there was a Clark manufacturer in California at one time but he had no info nor could I find any information on them.

Has anyone seen a Clark Custom like this?

Thanks in advance for your time for any input/information.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpeg
      IMG_0287.jpeg
      847.5 KB · Views: 79
    • IMG_0288.jpeg
      IMG_0288.jpeg
      873.7 KB · Views: 79
    • IMG_0289.jpeg
      IMG_0289.jpeg
      518.4 KB · Views: 79

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Yes but it does not have all the roll marks of the one located on Rock Island Auction website so I finally got confirmation from Clark Customs today.

I was able to contact the revolver gunsmith at Clark Customs and he confirmed it was a Clark Custom 1980.

The action is slick as butter but double action only. He informed me that he had some security hammers still laying around and if I paid shipping both ways he would install a double/single action hammer for $50. Indicated it would be as smooth in double action as it is now with a crisp 2lb or less single action trigger.

I’m debating on sending it back as my only draw back on purchasing it initially was because it was DAO. That seems like a good deal to fit another hammer. But I’m told the gunsmiting of today may not be a good as it was in 1980. So I’ll have to think on it, after I put some rounds down range of course.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I keep coming across old PPC customized revolvers, for really small money. They were a big thing 30-40 years ago, highly desirable and pricey. Once the game slid out of favor, so did their value. I had a Guthridge custom based on a K frame S&W. Weighed a lot but shot more accurately than anything else I ever owned. Fill length Aristocrat sight assembly with the preset option. After having it sit around for years, I ended up selling it for less than the sight assembly cost. Kind of a shame.

I am glad you found one and you want to enjoy it.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Yes but it does not have all the roll marks of the one located on Rock Island Auction website so I finally got confirmation from Clark Customs today.

I was able to contact the revolver gunsmith at Clark Customs and he confirmed it was a Clark Custom 1980.

The action is slick as butter but double action only. He informed me that he had some security hammers still laying around and if I paid shipping both ways he would install a double/single action hammer for $50. Indicated it would be as smooth in double action as it is now with a crisp 2lb or less single action trigger.

I’m debating on sending it back as my only draw back on purchasing it initially was because it was DAO. That seems like a good deal to fit another hammer. But I’m told the gunsmiting of today may not be a good as it was in 1980. So I’ll have to think on it, after I put some rounds down range of course.
    Not sure if INGOs @Bosshoss would take on this type of work, but he is one of the resident S&W revolver experts.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I keep coming across old PPC customized revolvers, for really small money. They were a big thing 30-40 years ago, highly desirable and pricey. Once the game slid out of favor, so did their value. I had a Guthridge custom based on a K frame S&W. Weighed a lot but shot more accurately than anything else I ever owned. Fill length Aristocrat sight assembly with the preset option. After having it sit around for years, I ended up selling it for less than the sight assembly cost. Kind of a shame.

I am glad you found one and you want to enjoy it.
    Leo, what do you consider "small" money? I'd love to find something like this, but.....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I would put it through it's paces with lots of ammo. Very hard primers in older PPC style revolvers can have some issues igniting the primers in some ammo. The were made for a very specific use and normally were hand loaded for such uses.

That sweet double action trigger release comes at a cost. The great thing about this is they have a very repeatable release of the double action trigger which is the biggest advantage. It break at the very same place each and every time not just that it is "smooth" but it break constantly in each and every trigger pull.

Colt made the lawman back in the day with such a double action pull from the factory. It in now way compares to what a good custom shop can get a revolver to do. Colt did it so police could qualify easier than most other pistols available at the time.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nice six gun. I'd send it off for hammer swap lickety split and swap that grip to a Hogue. Tune some loads and do a lot of shooting. Show us some targets after a range session.

Top Bottom