• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bap1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    NE Indy
    I am very interested in giving pistol sport shooting/competition a shot but would like to get some opinions on a few things.

-I currently have a G19 (and am considering purchasing a M&P9). Would this pistol be suffice to get started or do most recommend pistols on the full-size scale (G17, M&P9 Pro, etc)?
    -what would you recommend to be a good "first time" competition? A GSSF event? IDPA? USPSA?
    -From what I have read it sounds like in the GSSF competition the shooter is stationary, are any of the other events that I mentioned similar or do they all involved movement from target to target?
    -Are there any other competitions that I didn't mention that I should consider as well?

Thanks for the feedback!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    a G19 is a good pistol to use. Not the best, but its a good pistol, and you can use it for a lot of other things as well. As for what competition to use it for, good luck, i have not done any myself, so maybe someone else can help you out.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Try steel challenge at Atlanta CC club (north of westfield)Riley conservation club (east of terre haute) is holding a USPSA event Sunday. Steel challenge is stationary. USPSA requires movement. You will need 4-5 mags and mag carriers and a holster that covers trigger guard

Full size guns are not necessary. Many shoot with what they carry.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Interesting indeed... I wouldn't be ready by Sunday for any sort of competition but I was going to post a thread similar to this - and saw this one before I even ran a search.

I'm very new to guns (to be honest, father was 100% against them - not even a cap gun allowed) but I've recently gotten into target shooting and obviously personal protection which *hopefully* I never need.

I would be interested in honing my skills/putting them to the test/using them for something beyond simply going to a range and squeezing out some rounds.

I'll do some searching - but if anybody knows of any resources in regards to getting into competitions and what competitions/events are good for new shooters - linking to that would be great.

I'm going to do some searching/research on my own - but figured it wouldn't hurt to make a reply on this thread (versus making my own thread before researching).

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    A good place to start is to attend one of the "Instructional Leagues" that ACT puts on at Atlanta Conservation Club. It's low pressure, good experience, good coaching, and lots of fun.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    A good place to start is to attend one of the "Instructional Leagues" that ACT puts on at Atlanta Conservation Club. It's low pressure, good experience, good coaching, and lots of fun.
    I'll have to Google it and see what is required/when it happens/etc. I have no issues joining a club if I'm going to participate in events regularly.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    ACT leagues occur once or twice a month. No membership is required. The focus is on USPSA style shooting and stage breakdown. Also, look into ACT competition 101. Coach, on the forums, can set you straight. Look at ACT under advertisers on this site

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    To be clear :). I hate using my phone for posts
    Upcoming match schedule

Atlanta steel challenge 3/17
    Riley USPSA 3/18
    Atlanta ICORE 3/18
    Atlanta USPSA 3/25
    Riley steel challenge first Saturday in April
    South central USPSA first Sunday in April

There are opportunities every weekend between now and the end of November.

Also see indygunracers.com for complete schedule

Rileycc.com
    Atlantacc.net
    USPSA.com
    IDPA.com
    Steelchallenge.com

Sorry there are no actual hyperlinks. I'm typing from phone.

tgford58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    If you are in NE Indiana look at Porter County Conservation Club. They have fairly strong programs in USPSA. Warsaw Rifle and Pistol club are great people and have a crew that will help you get started in programs. NPCCC shoots the first Sunday and Warsaw the second Sunday of every month in USPSA matches.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Downrange covered most of it, but my .02

-I currently have a G19 (and am considering purchasing a M&P9). Would this pistol be suffice to get started or do most recommend pistols on the full-size scale (G17, M&P9 Pro, etc)?
    A G19 will be just fine to start. Eventually, if you like the shooting games, you MIGHT want to get something with a longer sight radius, or you might want to continues shooting what you carry.
    I started shooting matches with an M&P357, which conventional wisdom says is not the best game gun choice. I held my own with it, even won a steel match, and I'm not an especially skilled or gifted shooter. Point being, the gun itself is a relatively minor aspect of the games, especially for a someone just starting out.

-what would you recommend to be a good "first time" competition? A GSSF event? IDPA? USPSA?

Friday Night Steel (FNS), and GSSF are perhaps the most beginner friendly. They all run the same general format with no movement, no reloads, nothing from the holster. Steel Challenge will add the draw into the equation, but is generally the same format. All are great [STRIKE]gateway drugs[/STRIKE] starting points in to competitive pistol shooting.

That said, assuming the beginner has basic safe gun-handling skills down, they wouldn't be wrong starting in any of the games. You'll find that the IDPA/USPSA guys and gals are more than happy to help a new shooter learn the ropes.

-From what I have read it sounds like in the GSSF competition the shooter is stationary, are any of the other events that I mentioned similar or do they all involved movement from target to target?

Yep, same for FNS and Steel Challenge. IDPA will involve a bit more movement, and USPSA even more still. The former usually has shorter stages, 18 rounds max, and at most of the club level matches you won't see too many that require a lot of movement. Maybe 2-3 stages out of 6 in a match will require more than a few steps.

USPSA, the max round count per stage is 32, and the local Match Directors (MDs) are really good about including plenty of those in a given match. You will have movement in probably 5-6 of 6 stages. An because there are more targets and longer courses, those stages that do have movement will have more of it than an IDPA stage that requires it.

-Are there any other competitions that I didn't mention that I should consider as well?
    Friday night Steel and Steel Challenge.

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Downrange covered most of it, but my .02

A G19 will be just fine to start. Eventually, if you like the shooting games, you MIGHT want to get something with a longer sight radius, or you might want to continues shooting what you carry.
    I started shooting matches with an M&P357, which conventional wisdom says is not the best game gun choice. I held my own with it, even won a steel match, and I'm not an especially skilled or gifted shooter. Point being, the gun itself is a relatively minor aspect of the games, especially for a someone just starting out.

Friday Night Steel (FNS), and GSSF are perhaps the most beginner friendly. They all run the same general format with no movement, no reloads, nothing from the holster. Steel Challenge will add the draw into the equation, but is generally the same format. All are great [STRIKE]gateway drugs[/STRIKE] starting points in to competitive pistol shooting.

That said, assuming the beginner has basic safe gun-handling skills down, they wouldn't be wrong starting in any of the games. You'll find that the IDPA/USPSA guys and gals are more than happy to help a new shooter learn the ropes.

Yep, same for FNS and Steel Challenge. IDPA will involve a bit more movement, and USPSA even more still. The former usually has shorter stages, 18 rounds max, and at most of the club level matches you'll won't see too many that require a lot of movement. Maybe 2-3 stages out of 6 in a match will require more than a few steps.

USPSA, the max round count per stage is 32, and the local Match Directors (MDs) are really good about including plenty of those in a given match. You will have movement in probably 5-6 of 6 stages. An because there are more targets and longer courses, those stages that do have movement will have more of it than an IDPA stage that requires it.

Friday night Steel and Steel Challenge.

Thanks for clearing up my phone ramblings:yesway:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    friday night steel is another fun one. its on the west side of indy the second friday every month at marion county fish and game. i started shooting these a few months ago and got hooked. good people, good times. fridaynightsteel.org.

wildcatfan.62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I started shooting IDPA in the fall with a G19, you'll be fine. You'll need a good holster and at least 3 mags. For IDPA you'll also need a cover garment as you draw from a conceled carry.

By the way congrats on taking the hardest step, deciding you want to participate in a shoot.

Tell the folks running the shoot you're new and you'll get all the help you need. All they want is for you to be safe.

Know your gun -how to reload your gun while pointing downrange, how to reload your mags timely, how to clear a jam safely, etc. I'd recommend searching the interweb for IDPA range commands to get an idea of what will be asked of you when it's your turn to shoot.

At your first shoot, take your time, no one cares how you shoot as long as you're safe. Remember you can't miss fast enough to post a score.......

At the shoot help out -paste targets, pick up brass when the range is clear. The folks running the shoot will really appreciate your help. It also keeps you involved and can show you how shooters attack the stages.

Ask questions. Folks will want to help you if you really want their help. Everyone had a first shoot sometime........

Let us know how it goes. This forum is a great resource and folks here have a helping attitude (thick skin does help).

Best,
    Wildcatfan.62

Bap1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    NE Indy
    This is some great info!! And I had no idea that there are some many different events throughout the year. They all are intriguing in their own ways.

Thanks to all for the insight and direction so far!! This is definitely encouraging me to try things out, especially knowing that it appears to be such a welcoming community!

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    This is some great info!! And I had no idea that there are some many different events throughout the year. They all are intriguing in their own ways.

Thanks to all for the insight and direction so far!! This is definitely encouraging me to try things out, especially knowing that it appears to be such a welcoming community!

We are like drug dealers...we'll give you the first one for free...we plan on you all getting hooked no matter what you try.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom