• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I was looking around the net at different razors ranging in price from $400-$30, Japanese style to regular folding and still haven't figured out what would be just fine in regards to good steel and good pricing.

Anyone here a straight razor convert?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I switched to a traditional straight razor about 2 years ago. It's the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Schick/Gilette can keep their gimmicky overpriced disposables.

I've been using a Dovo half hollow stainless. It works really well. It'll take a week's worth of growth off in one effortless swipe.

Ramiel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    East side of Indy
    This is the razor I got from my grandpa. I just had it professionally sharpened and honed and returned to me with a really nice sleeve case. Other than the edge I had it left untouched because I really liked the patina it developed over the years.
    It's a Theo A. Kochs "Lucifer" straight razor. It dates back to as early as 1888. It could very well be my great grandpas. If I decide to shave again this will be the one to do it :D
    5dpc.jpg

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    i use a safety razon and have been for the past few months. the quality and lack of irritation is unbelievable! I highly recommend. Although expensive, check out art of shaving.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've been using an electric lately. It's not really close enough for me. I had much better results with manual but I don't know if I could use straight razor, isn't it real easy to cut yourself?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm too clumsy for a straight razor; I just use a double edge safety razor and badger brush and have been for almost 7 years now.. I'd recommend you check out General Straight Razor Talk for straight razors, and the rest of the site for shaving talk in general. Very friendly group of gentlemen.

If you're careful and take your time, you'll be ok with a straight. If you're clumsy and impatient, then the DE safety razors may be a better choice. Actually, I'd probably be ok with a straight razor, it's just that I'm not too interested in the sharpening and honing and stropping (a hobby in itself, for some) -- much easier to just plop in a new blade.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/ is a good site to check out.

Last edited:

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I use a straight in conjunction with one of two Gillette adjustable safety razors. One from 1959 and one from 1962. Prep, good cream, good brush, a good razor and a great blade. Very difficult to beat it.
    I wasn't sure I would stick with the straight, so I bought an inexpensive one that you use disposable double edge blades and break them in half. Works great, and I'll probably lay out some real cash on a real straight one of these days.

straightrazor place That's the ticket.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    This is the razor I got from my grandpa. I just had it professionally sharpened and honed and returned to me with a really nice sleeve case. Other than the edge I had it left untouched because I really liked the patina it developed over the years.
    It's a Theo A. Kochs "Lucifer" straight razor. It dates back to as early as 1888. It could very well be my great grandpas. If I decide to shave again this will be the one to do it :D
    5dpc.jpg

That is an awesome looking beauty!

Since I got my Spyderco sharpening system, tackling the honing duties of a straight razor sounds like a pleasant thing. I'm out of knives around here to sharpen. lol! Paying for disposables just keeps adding up over time when I could be using a self honed straight razor. I need to purchase a strop anyway for my other knives.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    That is an awesome looking beauty!

Since I got my Spyderco sharpening system, tackling the honing duties of a straight razor sounds like a pleasant thing. I'm out of knives around here to sharpen. lol! Paying for disposables just keeps adding up over time when I could be using a self honed straight razor. I need to purchase a strop anyway for my other knives.

The Spydie system is great for knives. Not so much for a straight razor. I have a norton 4000/8000 stone, and a 120000 stone for the razor.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My grand dad had 2 straight razors, stone and leather strop. He also had the soap cup and brush. I enjoyed watching him shave (10 yrs. old) as the process was really something.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom