• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I had a meeting with my home insurance provider today to look into some extra flood insurance for my home, and review my policy. They only cover $5000 in replacement value for firearms which for me is not enough. My agent told me besides a rate hike I would have to provide him with descriptions as well as serial numbers of all my guns in order for the protection value to be increased. Now, I'm sure the ATF already has all this information, and this is standard policy, but I have to admit it made me slightly uncomfortable. I also realize they are not going to give me $15,000 in coverage on just my word that I do have that amount worth of firearms. What do you all think about this ? All of my guns are in quality safes, and bolted to the floor/wall. I am also a NRA member, and have been thinking about utilizing the insurance that is available. Anybody out there using Armscare ? I am pretty sure with Armscare if the firearm is worth over $1500 it has to be scheduled, but you do not need to provide the serial number.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I use the armscare with the NRA membership and have had to file a claim, the process was very simple aslong as you have a receipt of purchase and such. and you normally get your check within 7 to 10 days, and there is only $100 deductible. There service was great and on the spot so I couldn't complain and a issue resolved in under a month? I will take that option anyday.

Soon im upgrading from the $1500 policy to the $15000 because of my hobbie.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have an insurance rider through my homeowners for the guns, optics, ammo and hunting gear. I covers much more than the NRA policy for about half the cost. Add up the replacement cost of your stash of gear, and make sure the rider covers all that is important to you. (I have a bunch of very expensive scopes, I want thos replaced just like the rifles.)

It covers hunting equipment, not just the guns with serial numbers. My insurance provider stated quite cleaarly that I should have video/photo documentation of the guns I have, because they DID NOT WANT TO KNOW the model or serial number of the guns. I also reciecved a reduced rider rate when I started buying fire prooof gun safes and mounted them on 18" rises for flood protection.

I have a 4x6 card with the pertinant gun information, and have video/photos of each gun with the card in the photo. The rider will replace my guns with the same age, model, and NRA rating, so my collection is truely replaced with the same value, not a cheaper substitute. (Do you want the original Winchester Model 1895 in 35 Rem replaced, or a Marlin Model 36 in 35 Rem for a replacement, worth much less? They are both lever actions in 35 Rem!)

The photo/videos are stashed on my brothers safe in Wisconsin, his info is stored in one of mine.

Your agent is sending you a very clear signal that he has no interest in covering your weapons, or keeping your privacy. It may be time to shop for a new representative.

Hope that helps!

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    My homeowner policy provides $1500 in firearms insurance. Which amounts to diddly. To add more coverage, the require a certified appraisal. I definitely need a different option.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    6birds, your post reminded me of something. When you photograph your guns and stuff, sprinkle some talcum powder over the make, model, serial numbers and other marks, and rub it off just enough to fill in the marks so they stand out in the pictures.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I spent the cost of the insurance rider on a safe 30 years ago.

It's been "making me money" for at least 25 years.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Well like I said in my OP all of my guns are in qaulity fire safes bolted to the floor, and walls. My concern is more from natural disaster or fire more then anything.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I have an insurance rider through my homeowners for the guns, optics, ammo and hunting gear. I covers much more than the NRA policy for about half the cost. Add up the replacement cost of your stash of gear, and make sure the rider covers all that is important to you. (I have a bunch of very expensive scopes, I want thos replaced just like the rifles.)

It covers hunting equipment, not just the guns with serial numbers. My insurance provider stated quite cleaarly that I should have video/photo documentation of the guns I have, because they DID NOT WANT TO KNOW the model or serial number of the guns. I also reciecved a reduced rider rate when I started buying fire prooof gun safes and mounted them on 18" rises for flood protection.

I have a 4x6 card with the pertinant gun information, and have video/photos of each gun with the card in the photo. The rider will replace my guns with the same age, model, and NRA rating, so my collection is truely replaced with the same value, not a cheaper substitute. (Do you want the original Winchester Model 1895 in 35 Rem replaced, or a Marlin Model 36 in 35 Rem for a replacement, worth much less? They are both lever actions in 35 Rem!)

The photo/videos are stashed on my brothers safe in Wisconsin, his info is stored in one of mine.

Your agent is sending you a very clear signal that he has no interest in covering your weapons, or keeping your privacy. It may be time to shop for a new representative.

Hope that helps!

Who do you have your homeowners insurance through... feel free to PM if you dont' want it all over the board.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    We have State Farm. I have a rider for quite a bit, as I re-stock old SxS's, and often have other peoples guns in the house, and some are quite rare.

I have had the rider for many years for my personal collection as well, knowing the safe will deter thieves, or save them from a small fire, but a big fire will probably wipe all the whole collection of old Winchesters, Parkers, and fine hunting rifles.

The safes bring down the costs quite a bit for the gun portion, but adding up the other hunting equipment was a real eye opener, We've got some nice stuff and want it covered.

It's worth it to me, might not be for everyone. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom