• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've seen some very cheap Thermold 30 rd AK-47 mags at a few different gun shops in the past weeks. I've usually preferred the metal mags, but don't have any real reason why. Just looks mostly.

Anyone have any experience with these mags and how well they function and last?

What do people prefer metal? polymer? Looking for input. Thanks in advance...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Thermold AK mags have NO metal reinforcements at all, and as such are not terribly durable. My question - why go with them, when you can get proven ComBloc metal mags at the same or lower cost? :dunno:

Back when I owned 7.62x39 AKs, all my mags were either ComBloc (Russian/Bulgarian/Polish/Romanian/Hungarian) metal or the Bulgarian "waffle" (polymer w/ metal reinforcements) type.

Now that I shoot exclusively small-bore (5.45 and 5.56) AKs, my mags are all of the Russian/Bulgarian military metal-reinforced polymer type, although there are all-metal AK-74 mags out there.

There are a number of domestic options (Tapco, Promag, US Palm, Surefire, etc) in all AK calibers these days, but I don't really have any use for them.

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Thermold AK mags have NO metal reinforcements at all, and as such are not terribly durable. My question - why go with them, when you can get proven ComBloc metal mags at the same or lower cost?

Thanks, Shooter. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I thought people may have some experiences or ideas that I didn't think of. I know the plastic is a bit lighter and don't rust. Just trying to see what people think.

Always appreciate your insight...:yesway:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I know the plastic is a bit lighter and don't rust. Just trying to see what people think.

Right now, the price differential between ComBloc metal mags and the Bulgarian "waffle" type is pretty significant, to the point where you can buy two or three metal mags for the price of one waffle. The two types were much closer in price "back in the day". I like the waffles better for the reasons you mentioned, but were I doing things over today, I'd just buy a crapload of metal mags and call it good.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am not positive but can an American made waffle magazine be counted as another compliance part? If so that could be a reason but like shooter said....I have quite a few commy mags and they are the better deal right now.

Top Bottom