• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I’m stoked. I got back my first shotgun today from my uncle’s estate and a couple other guns!
    It’s nothing special but only to me. My uncle let me use his Jc Higgins.410 bolt action shotgun with a 5 round magazine as a kid. Lots of bunnies and squirrels taken with this as a kid (but this one is missing the magazine so I’m going to look for one )
    2nd guns is a .22/20 gauge over and under. Savage mdl 24DL
    3rd is a Marlin model 25 bolt action .22
    All in dusty and crusty shape but solid. I am soaking actions and taking apart and applying some TLC.
    Bad pictures for now but get more as progress moves forward 82927327-0FC7-476E-996D-2064BF94D5C3.jpeg650F451B-9A4C-4984-B009-771FA9D53FE9.jpeg

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My uncle never shot these much or at all. They hung in the same gun rack on the wall ever since I was little 50+ years…
    Last year I rescued a 1952 Gibson guitar amp from him that he was going to throw away. It’s now completely restored and my son in law plays it in his studio.. my uncle rarely got rid of things
    The amount of crud in these are the least to say a lot. The action’s barely move. But after some cleaner and gentle persuasion things are moving
    The over under is yellow from nicotine I thought it was just the color of it until I started cleaning. It’s silver
    I would appreciate any information after I post more pictures and age identifying marks or numbers. Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    You are one lucky fellow. Congratulations.
    That mod. 24 is spectacular. I’ve got an old 24S, If the metal is colored so is the wood. Take appropriate measures.
    Again congrats. :thumbsup:

Maybe buy a lottery ticket……;)

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Very nice! Higgins 410 looks sweet, is it a model 101.25? Hope a magazine tube turns up, those old 410s can sometimes be tougher to find parts for than the 12 gauges or even 20s. I like family history items as well. If it will passed down, do the recipient a favor and write down the history, who used it and for what, etc, that way it has more meaning to it that would otherwise be unknown and forgotten.

Reactions: Mij

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Very nice! Higgins 410 looks sweet, is it a model 101.25? Hope a magazine tube turns up, those old 410s can sometimes be tougher to find parts for than the 12 gauges or even 20s. I like family history items as well. If it will passed down, do the recipient a favor and write down the history, who used it and for what, etc, that way it has more meaning to it that would otherwise be unknown and forgotten.
    Nice! I'm envious of the Savage 24.
    I saw your WTB add...looking for a double barrel. Maybe your wife would be content with the savage?
    I have put information like that in the buttstock
    Plate so the kids will find it someday. I have .22 rifles for all the grandkids and they know what rifles are there’s..
    shotgun.. maybe the over under but if I can I still would love a sxs 12 gauge! She already likes the savage so not a hard sale for her. Her and I love the sentiment that items like this have. It’s important to us as a tradition and more. The grandkids are on the same page and some of the kids..

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I have put information like that in the buttstock
    Plate so the kids will find it someday. I have .22 rifles for all the grandkids and they know what rifles are there’s..
    shotgun.. maybe the over under but if I can I still would love a sxs 12 gauge! She already likes the savage so not a hard sale for her. Her and I love the sentiment that items like this have. It’s important to us as a tradition and more. The grandkids are on the same page and some of the kids..
    Nice. My dad gave my son a 410 single shot break open that his dad carried around when he was a kid, my son's great grandpa. Wish all the old stuff like that could talk and share its history.

lastofthebreed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2020
    lowell
    sweet! congrats....

my gramps dying wish was for me to get his.....did I ?
    no, thanks too greedy aunts and uncles. I was the only grandchild he shot with and hunted with....it is a real bummer, then to find out all of these years later, he had a private letter to me rolled up in the barrel.....never got that either.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Looks like you’ll have some guns that you can shoot all day for not much money, I, like everyone else, like that Savage 24 .22/20g covers a lot of targets/ hunting..?You choot em, your pup’ll bring em back!!

sailordave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2016
    North Porter County
    Congrats. That .22/20 ga brought back some memories. I used my Dad's .22/.410 when i was first allowed to go hunting with the Big Guys. I think it was a Savage also. I can still remember the smell of paper-hulled .410 shells on a cold morning.

We never had a dog, i had to do the fetching until my younger cousins started up.

Top Bottom