• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Looking to add a higher quality red dot/optic to my AR15. Only used for home defense, range fun...etc. Not looking to get in to competitions or the like but I definitely want the ability to shoot with both eyes open. I have done quite a bit of research here and other websites of lesser quality but I value the opinions here above all else. :ingo:

Here is the short list that I have been looking at...ideally would like to keep around the $500 range. I have owned a couple of lower end red dots and would prefer to subscribe to the buy once, cry once strategy. :yesway:
    EOTech 518
    Aimpoint Pro
    Trijicon MRO
    Trijicon RX30
    Vortex Strikefire II
    Vortex Sparc II

Was hoping for the local experts here to give some advice, comments, opinions on which they think is best of this list - or of any that I may not have on the list. Appreciate your time in response - even if you have already answered the same question from other members previously and are rolling your eyes right now! ;)
    :horse:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I like my ancient Trijicon RX01, but with their reflex sights they're big and to my knowledge, no one makes a QD mount that cowitnesses with sights.

For the price range, Aimpoint PRO, H-1, or used T-1.

The MRO might be another option, even though I have a T-2 the MRO still intrigues me

If you want a QD mount, does your $500 include the mount or is that just the optic allowance?

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I like my ancient Trijicon RX01, but with their reflex sights they're big and to my knowledge, no one makes a QD mount that cowitnesses with sights.

For the price range, Aimpoint PRO, H-1, or used T-1.

The MRO might be another option, even though I have a T-2 the MRO still intrigues me

If you want a QD mount, does your $500 include the mount or is that just the optic allowance?

The $500 was more of a guideline than hard ceiling. Was hoping that it would include the mount as well though.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Looking to add a higher quality red dot/optic to my AR15. Only used for home defense, range fun...etc. Not looking to get in to competitions or the like but I definitely want the ability to shoot with both eyes open. I have done quite a bit of research here and other websites of lesser quality but I value the opinions here above all else. :ingo:

Here is the short list that I have been looking at...ideally would like to keep around the $500 range. I have owned a couple of lower end red dots and would prefer to subscribe to the buy once, cry once strategy. :yesway:
    EOTech 518
    Aimpoint Pro
    Trijicon MRO
    Trijicon RX30
    Vortex Strikefire II
    Vortex Sparc II

Was hoping for the local experts here to give some advice, comments, opinions on which they think is best of this list - or of any that I may not have on the list. Appreciate your time in response - even if you have already answered the same question from other members previously and are rolling your eyes right now! ;)
    :horse:

I have both vortex in stock right now and i have more MRO's on the way.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    In the 500 dollar price range I would say hold out just a touch longer and get a Aimpoint T1, or find one used.

Pretty good advice above.
    I have the T1, Comp M4, Comp M3. All are indestructible, unbelievable battery life, great clarity and fully adjustable brightness. Of all I own the Comp M3 is my favorite.
    That being said, magnification is awfully nice.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Pretty good advice above.
    I have the T1, Comp M4, Comp M3. All are indestructible, unbelievable battery life, great clarity and fully adjustable brightness. Of all I own the Comp M3 is my favorite.
    That being said, magnification is awfully nice.

Which do do you feel is the best with both eyes open shooting?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If it were me I'd buy the aimpoint pro or the MRO. The pro is way under 500, and the MRO you can find for under that with a good QD mount if you wish to use it on multiple guns which is always nice!

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have an H1 on one rifle but now have an MRO on another and I'm really liking the MRO. You can go to the American Defense web site and get the MRO with a QD American Defense mount for under the $500 mark.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I vote MRO. I've seen the MRO with no mount as low as 395, and package deals with adm qd's for 475. I love my mro.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

A.R.M.S. makes a QD mount for those. I had one and it worked fine, ...... but it's from A.R.M.S, uggg. I guess beggers can't be choosers though. They also make a spacer that will make it a lower 1/3, which I personally preferred.

Top Bottom